Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job issue

Options
  • 20-10-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi All,

I am currently in a position in the education sector since early September.. I have enjoyed the role. The position has now been sanctioned as a permanent post and has been advertised publicly as a result. However I will not be applying for the position due to personal reasons. I am just wondering if I should inform my boss that I am not applying for the position and how I could be diplomatic as she has been great to work with... I would like to be still considered for short term work to cover staff on sick leave. Any advice appreciated:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

kodaline78 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am currently in a position in the education sector since early September.. I have enjoyed the role. The position has now been sanctioned as a permanent post and has been advertised publicly as a result. However I will not be applying for the position due to personal reasons. I am just wondering if I should inform my boss that I am not applying for the position and how I could be diplomatic as she has been great to work with... I would like to be still considered for short term work to cover staff on sick leave. Any advice appreciated:)
    Absolutely.

Be upfront. You don't have to disclose any reasons obviously, but tell them you found the work very enjoyable and all the usual palaver. Thank them very much for the experience and tell them your availablity.

They'll definitely appreciate the cover.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Moved to Work and Job Problems.

Local Charter applies. Please read before replying.

Thanks

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Yes you should have a chat with your boss about it.

Could you have lunch together?

Personally I would do something like this in a casual setting.

You want to emphasise she has been great to work with, you enjoyed the role, and you won't be able to apply for it.

Just be super nice and positive.

Has your boss approached you about applying for the role?

Advertisement