Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bedroom with no air vent?

• 17-10-2020 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi. Not sure if this is in the right place so apologies if not. I have an issue with ventilation in my bedroom. The room is tiny like 6x9" and wasn't always a bedroom so it doesn't have any air vents. It's been my bedroom for around 10 years.

I keep the window open all day, most days, as long as possible but at night time I find it quite stuffy. The alarm system we have means I can't leave the window open at night and I can't leave my door open either as it opens into the living room.

I've been waking up with a headache and a sore throat nearly every morning lately and after some googling today I saw poor air quality could be the cause. My bedroom window gets a lot of condensation and I have some issues with mold under my window, behind my bed, and behind my wardrobe. I have been treating the mold for years and it's under control currently but I think an air vent might be the proper solution to it.

The issue is my parents don't understand the big deal, and think I just don't ventilate my bedroom enough during the day. I don't know anything really about building. Am I right in that there should be an air vent in my bedroom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes there should be a vent, the lack of air circulation will cause multiole issues. You dont have a vent built into the window, that you can open and close yourself? Called a trickle vent? Whats above you ? Another habitable floor or attic ?

Sort ventilation asap. If you have dehumidifier, put that in room for time being...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yes there should be a vent, the lack of air circulation will cause multiole issues. You dont have a vent built into the window, that you can open and close yourself? Called a trickle vent? Whats above you ? Another habitable floor or attic ?

I don't have a vent built into my window. It's just a regular window you open out. I'm downstairs. Directly above me is my parents bedroom.

I don't have a vent built into my window. It's just a regular window you open out. I'm downstairs. Directly above me is my parents bedroom.

You can put in regular vent with hole in wall or vents which measure moisture etc in air and open and close etc automatically... you could drill few holes through wall and just stick up the flat vent grilles either side, id advise getting one that you can slide to adjust on the inside...

I take it the window has one or two openings with alarm sensir on the one or two openings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Heavens, that's a bad room to be sleeping in. You absolutely need some ventilation - a vent would be an absolute minimum. A dehumidifier is a good idea, but you need some air too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,850 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.imt.ie/opinion/editorial/sick-building-syndrome-26-02-2010/

Show your parents this.

Then get yourself a 4" core drill

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    You can put in regular vent with hole in wall or vents which measure moisture etc in air and open and close etc automatically... you could drill few holes through wall and just stick up the flat vent grilles either side, id advise getting one that you can slide to adjust on the inside...

I take it the window has one or two openings with alarm sensir on the one or two openings?

Yes the window has one opening that is alarmed with a sensor. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to convince my parents to help me put a vent in.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    https://www.imt.ie/opinion/editorial/sick-building-syndrome-26-02-2010/

Show your parents this.

Then get yourself a 4" core drill

I would do it myself if I could lol but I have no idea what I'm doing and I'd need my parents' permission. Thanks for the link. Sounds awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Yes. You should install the vent.

In the meantime most alarm systems allow you to partially arm them - have a look at the inside of the door on the alarm panel it usually gives instructions as to how to switch on the alarm but with a certain section turned off. Then you would be able to leave the window ajar at night.

Id leave the bedroom door slightly open into the living room overnight until you get this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Tell your parents even the windows in prison have vents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What kind of windows are they? (PVC?) you could probably get a pane taken out and an insert with louvres or similar put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭3d4life

I would do it myself if I could lol but I have no idea what I'm doing and I'd need my parents' permission. Thanks for the link. Sounds awful.

If you need backup of facts / figures, there are inexpensive monitors for humidity, CO2, CO, available if you look around

Is it an old house ? in some parts of the country radon buildup in unventilated ground floor rooms can be an issue. There are yokes to monitor for that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Easy solution imo would be to modify the alarm setting, presume you are using a 'part set' feature at night? do a bit of research and find out how to add your window to be omitted in the part set setting.

When you have the deatils of the system try asking in the security/alarm fourm
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1366

You will most likely need the engineers code for the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I posted on a different thread, a similar issue with one room. The windows the last two weeks each morning are covered in condensation, the windows are opened each morning for 2/3 hours depending if i remember to close.

I am confident with DIY but unsure about fitting a vent as going blind through the plasterboard/concrete. Is this easy enough? What vent would you recommend and is there a company who do this work as i may get them in the other rooms?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Leave the window open slightly over night. That’s when you are in the room. That’s when you need ventilation. Over night a persons breathes out a pint of water in the form of vapour that then condenses on a cold surface, general the window, worse behind cupboards or drylining eventually leading to mold

Advertisement