Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My snoring has become an issue.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm sorry OP if I'm too blunt here but you're really concerned with addressing the wrong issue.

Your girlfriend hits you on the head and you are certain this happens. It is assault and also extremely dangerous. I don't mean to be alarmist but if she lashes out and strikes you in certain places, especially your temple, that will do serious damage.

I've had partners in the past that snores so badly that it really annoyed me, sleep deprivation is not funny but there's no way in hell I considered hitting them.

I won't give any suggestions about the snoring as that is a minor problem, her assaulting you is a major problem. There's no justification in the world for it & you can dress it up whatever way you want but it's assault, plain & simple and you shouldn't be with someone who treats you that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Hitting somebody on the head when they're defenceless and asleep is a particularly scummy thing to do. Worse still, she's lying about it. I bet this sort of behaviour isn't confined to nighttime either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Whats the point in banging on about something the OP does not want to address? It’s up to him what he wants to do about it, if at all.

It’s been said and the OP has ignored it, which is his right to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Whats the point in banging on about something the OP does not want to address? It’s up to him what he wants to do about it, if at all.

It’s been said and the OP has ignored it, which is his right to do.

For numerous reasons:-

1. It's a serious matter
    2. Nobody deserves that treatment
    3. People in abusive relationships have been putting up with abuse for so long it becomes normal to them & by highlighting it, you hope it helps the OP
    4. Ignoring it, normalised it
    5. Because you hope people would do the same for you in similar circumstances

For numerous reasons:-

1. It's a serious matter
    2. Nobody deserves that treatment
    3. People in abusive relationships have been putting up with abuse for so long it becomes normal to them & by highlighting it, you hope it helps the OP
    4. Ignoring it, normalised it
    5. Because you hope people would do the same for you in similar circumstances

I agree with all of the above bar the last point. However, repeating the same mantra and expecting the OP to respond/ take it on board might also make them withdraw because they are not ready to have this discussion yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Redderthanever

Hi there, a sore head can be an indication of sleep apnea, a serious sleep disorder that is characterised by

Excessive daytime sleepiness
    Loud snoring
    Observed episodes of stopped breathing during sleep
    Abrupt awakenings accompanied by gasping or choking
    Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat
    Headaches
    Difficulty concentrating during the day

That's not to say your girlfriend isn't punching you in your sleep, but I'd really like to hope that she isn't doing that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

wear a motorcycle helmet so she can't punch
    you in the head

think outside the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think that's the same theory as the what Anti Snoring Chin Strap that Xterminator posted a link to would provide. The medical tape is a cheaper way of testing the theory, and if it works, then maybe the strap would be the long term way to execute it.

Please skip this one, it is dangerous, with risk of brain damage or death. Taping or strapping your mouth closed is a good way to suffocate yourself if you have an intermittent nasal issue. It's the reason gagging is no an longer acceptable method of restraint for police... Deaths have been recorded.

And I agree, anyone hitting you without your consent in bed is abuse. I'm awake beside a snorer here, have never in my life hit him for it.

Try cutting the drink out if you drink alcohol. My fellow only snores after a couple of glasses of whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pwurple wrote:
    Please skip this one, it is dangerous, with risk of brain damage or death. Taping your mouth closed is a good way to suffocate yourself if you have an intermittent nasal issue. It's the reason gagging is no an longer acceptable method of restraint for police... Deaths have been recorded.

Please tell me a human didn’t advise another human to tape their mouth during sleep?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Jequ0n wrote: »
    I agree with all of the above bar the last point. However, repeating the same mantra and expecting the OP to respond/ take it on board might also make them withdraw because they are not ready to have this discussion yet.

Mod Note

On the other hand Jequ0n, it may flick a switch with the OP and be the wake up call he needs. Either way, posters are welcome to post their advice as long as it's constructive and civil and it is up to the OP what to do after that. So less of the telling others how to post.

Thanks

HS

• Advertisement

Sorry, that hadnt been my intention

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

I'm a snorer. Happens when I sleep lying on my back. (I suspect that I have nose/throat pipes that are a bit narrower than is normal - but, no problems during day.)

Solution was to make an elastic strap which has a soft ball (tennis ball size) fixed to it. Before sleep the ball is positioned in middle of my back. The slight pressure of the ball seems to be enough to cause me to roll on to my side - snoring stops.
    It has since been modified to include shoulder straps to prevent the arrangement from moving. I seem to move about quite a bit during sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just to clarify, mouth taping doesn't tape the mouth shut completely.

It uses tape to keep the lips together, one bit in the middle, or two bits at the outside, its not completely closing off the mouth, its to encourage the mouth from falling wide open which can increase mouth breathing when asleep.

I think if you have an septum issues you'd cop it pretty quick, I don't use it myself as I have septum issues. I know that it wouldn't suit me.

I know a good few people who do it and sleep really well since they started. Was just a suggestion to look into it is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

My OH never really snored unless he was extremely tired or had a few too many drinks. Over the last 9 months he has put on a good bit of weight and now he snores every night. The difference it has made is unbelievable so weight is def a contributor. He has also recently been waking with terrible headaches. I do not punch him in the head so it’s not me :-)

I would also suggest talking to your GP. As other have suggested it may be a sign of sleep apnea which you should get treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anti-histamines seem to be working well.

I'm very happy with that so far.

Anti-snore pillow has been dispatched, but I will keep taking anti-histamines before bedtime, it seems to be making a big difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm going to repeat this.

If your girlfriend is punching you in the head you need to get out of that relationship immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Look, OP, at least find out for sure. Borrow or buy a trail cam with night vision and set it up without telling her; you'll be able to see if she actually is assaulting you, or maybe hear if you're showing signs of apnea or another sleep disorder.

My OH can be a wicked snorer but though I have often thought of smothering him with a pillow I would never do anything worse than wake him up, which he thinks is bad enough. If it was bad enough then we'd just have to sleep in separate rooms.

Advertisement