Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin part time / night course

Options
  • 01-10-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine wants to do a night time basic photography course in Dublin this autumn / winter - With lockdown is ther any good ones out ther being run now, all the ones I saw were online - like Institute of Photography.
    She just wants to know how to learn to use the camera functionality well in a class room setting - I told her You-Tube and teach yourself , but she wants a physical course.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Dublin Camera Club runs a course though she has just missed the September start (if it's being run due to the 'rona).
    https://www.dublincameraclub.ie/shop/photography-courses-dublin-camera-club

Getting out with other photographers is a great benefit to learners (and veterans) and sadly is something that has fallen to the wayside in this forum. I miss the photowalks.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

thebaz wrote: »
    A friend of mine wants to do a night time basic photography course in Dublin this autumn / winter - With lockdown is ther any good ones out ther being run now, all the ones I saw were online - like Institute of Photography.
    She just wants to know how to learn to use the camera functionality well in a class room setting - I told her You-Tube and teach yourself , but she wants a physical course.
    Thanks.

Hi Baz, almost nobody is doing in person night time courses on any subject these days (I think). Dublin Camera Club have moved their 10 week (90minutes a week) course on line. In addition to the course lectures (via Zoom) every student is assigned a "mentor" (about six student per mentor). The idea is to have 2 outdoor sessions during the course, practicing what they have learned during the course and answering questions (on gear, composition.....).

We are half way through the course and the students seem to really like the format: No travel time, take the course from wherever you are (a good few would never have been able to go to the in-person course) plus full access to all club meetings, tutorials, presentations etc. during the course.

The next one is scheduled for Jan 2021 and at €99 is ridiculously good value.

Full disclosure, I am a former Council member of DCC, one of the lecturers and a mentor (but don't let that put you off)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Hi Baz, almost nobody is doing in person night time courses on any subject these days (I think). Dublin Camera Club have moved their 10 week (90minutes a week) course on line. In addition to the course lectures (via Zoom) every student is assigned a "mentor" (about six student per mentor). The idea is to have 2 outdoor sessions during the course, practicing what they have learned during the course and answering questions (on gear, composition.....).

We are half way through the course and the students seem to really like the format: No travel time, take the course from wherever you are (a good few would never have been able to go to the in-person course) plus full access to all club meetings, tutorials, presentations etc. during the course.

Full disclosure, I am a former Council member of DCC, one of the lecturers and a mentor (but don't let that put you off)
    I did the course and was in the club while living in Dublin.
    Have to agree, the course was great but Paurics workshops were invaluable

How are meetings being held with CV19?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I did the course and was in the club while living in Dublin.
    Have to agree, the course was great but Paurics workshops were invaluable

How are meetings being held with CV19?

All meeting are held by Zoom, and to be honest, it seems to be working great. We have had over 80 people at meetings (more than we would have when we held in-person meetings). Also, a few people who had moved home, some out of country, are still able to participate as location is now irrelevant. All competitions are digital for now. But the best thing of all is that the range of presenters available to us has just mushroomed. Well known experts, normally based outside of Ireland, are now available, without the added cost of travel and accommodation. Its been great.

Might even be worthwhile considering rejoining? We also have the usual street and nature groups, again meeting via Zoom. And Pauric's workshops are still very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thanks Adrian - will pass on details - she was asking for real time , told her very unlikly , we can see where we are after Christmas, hopefully in a better place. Cheers mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement