Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix a newel post cap

Options
  • 25-09-2020 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi there,
    Anyone know how I should fix the attached newel post cap? It is broken and not too much force will be required to make it come away. You should be able to see the crack,
    Thank you and regards

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

take it off use wood glue

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Buy an 8mm dowel in a hardware store.
    Take cap off and clean both surfaces thoroughly including all paint from the edges.
    Drill a hole for a dowel in the centre of both the cap and the post itself. Ensure hole is centred and exactly on vertical axis for both pieces
    Use wood glue on both dowel and flat surfaces.

See if you can fashion a weight of some sort to keep downward pressure on the cap until the glue dries but make sure the weight isn't putting applying side-ward pressure also.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I would go with the dowel approach too but I just have to post this little clip also, it couldn't be more relevant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IcFNiNDb8E

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Buy an 8mm dowel in a hardware store.
    Take cap off and clean both surfaces thoroughly including all paint from the edges.
    Drill a hole for a dowel in the centre of both the cap and the post itself. Ensure hole is centred and exactly on vertical axis for both pieces
    Use wood glue on both dowel and flat surfaces.

If it's in a location where it's taking weight (people grabbing it for support, which is presumably why it broke in the first place), I'd do the above, except using a steel rod instead of a wooden dowel. Considering it's painted, rather than trying to drill both parts dead centre separately though, I'd drill down through the round top of the newel post with a long bit, and continue drilling into the square section. Once drilled, get glue into the joint, hammer metal rod down through both, filler in the top of the newel post to patch the remaining hole, sand and paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 stadamack

Thanks for that TellMeHow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 stadamack

I would go with the dowel approach too but I just have to post this little clip also, it couldn't be more relevant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IcFNiNDb8E

🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Have you removed the cap fully, is there a dowel already there, turned as part of the cap

Advertisement