Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the shortest path to being married in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-09-2020 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So my fiancé and I have been engaged for a while now, years in fact, and the reason for not getting married is there seems to be a lot of paperwork and interviews involved. Is there a fast track way of getting it done.

I'm kind of confused why I can't just apply online, get a date, we show up, and have it done.

Are there any services that would take care of the grunt work so we could just show up at a registry office at whatever date and not have to worry about the rest?

We're based on Dublin 16 if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can book online..

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/ac59d3-get-married-in-ireland/#book-a-marriage-notification-appointment-or-civil-ceremony-online

All your instructions are here.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/service/ac59d3-get-married-in-ireland/#:~:text=a%20marriage%20certificate-,Getting%20married%20in%20Ireland,both%20of%20you%20must%20attend.

Have you a disability or impairment which makes form filling difficult? There may be social services available if you don't have family support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Getting married is fairly straightforward. Fill in forms, post them off. Attend for interview, pay €200. Go to registry office, get hitched. It's a wedding that's complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Don't be put off by the meeting though. It's not an interrogation. They just double check details on the form and take payment. It's not like an American movie trying to catch out a marriage of convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It’s not complicated or hard work at all. You make an appointment and show up to it with a few documents that prove you are who you say you are. Three months later you can get married

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s not complicated or hard work at all. You make an appointment and show up to it with a few documents that prove you are who you say you are. Three months later you can get married

Is 3 months the shortest amount of time to wait for all methods of marriage in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'm not sure if it gets any easier than the way we did it. We booked a humanist celebrant and met her at a hotel. Our witnesses came along too, we signed the paper with no fuss whatsoever and she actually refunded us half her usual fee because we didn't want any ceremony or anything. Then we paaaaaartied!

It was cheap and cheerful and very meaningful with none of the pomp and spectacle that we both hate. We're glad we did it back then because of everything that's happening now; it was way more carefree than we'd be if we were doing it currently. We've decided that we might have a family wedding down the line, it's certainly something to look forward to. Only our witnesses know we're married because others would probably get odd that they weren't invited. A full wedding would just have been too expensive and complicated to arrange; getting a mortgage is our priority so after that we'll have a party.

Oh and don't forget to bring the form to your local registry office to get the marriage cert.

Best of luck with it OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

rapul wrote: »
    Is 3 months the shortest amount of time to wait for all methods of marriage in this country?

That's the legal minimum time required

rapul wrote: »

Yes! It can be waived in emergency circumstances, as far as I know you have to go before a judge for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RyanGannon

Thanks everyone. Especially pwurple and s1ippy. s1ippy this made me feel a lot better.

We're fortunate, we're just two guys, our idea of the perfect wedding is sign the paper and go for Burger King.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

jlm29 wrote: »
    Yes! It can be waived in emergency circumstances, as far as I know you have to go before a judge for this.

Yes, and it's usually for extreme circumstances such as someone is dying!

3 months is the standard notice period that needs to be given.

Honestly OP it's not that difficult. It might be a bit harder to get an appointment in the current climate, but the paperwork is straight forward enough. And there's no "interview", just a face to face meeting to file/sign the paperwork - unless one of you isn't Irish?

• Advertisement

So I got to http://www.crsappointments.ie/CeremonyPlanner.Ireland/Process/Marriage/PreQuestions.aspx but it's looking for a venue, is there a way to book a registry office or something?

I assume there's a drop down menu that you can select your local registry office?

Personally I like the fact that you have to wait 3 months - you don't want to make the decision to get married on a whim and just do it the same day - good to let the idea percolate for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

RyanGannon wrote: »
    So I got to http://www.crsappointments.ie/CeremonyPlanner.Ireland/Process/Marriage/PreQuestions.aspx but it's looking for a venue, is there a way to book a registry office or something?

If you are looking to book a civil marriage appointment in Dublin/Wicklow/Kildare you will need to contact the registrar directly to book an appointment for the registry office
    https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/contact-a-civil-registration-service.html#Dublin

Personally I like the fact that you have to wait 3 months - you don't want to make the decision to get married on a whim and just do it the same day - good to let the idea percolate for a few months.

We've spend almost every minute of the last 11 1/2 years together, think we're ready.

I assume there's a drop down menu that you can select your local registry office?

It asks for;
    • Please provide the exact place and/or building address in which the proposed ceremony will be solemnised
    • Please select from the calendar or type the date (in the format dd/mm/yyyy) the intended date of the ceremony

so we have to book a venue first. What I'd like to know is, is there a way to book a registry office online?

That link that you posted seems to have 2 options - 1) religious, humanist, etc. OR 2) Civil Marriage

The first option suggests you are having a ceremony elsewhere - if you click option 2 and follow through the next few pages, you get a drop down menu for registry offices, as far as I can see.

I just followed the links and there seems to be nothing available if you are in Dublin, Wicklow or Kildare. So if you're in any of those areas, you may have to phone them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I just followed the links and there seems to be nothing available if you are in Dublin, Wicklow or Kildare. So if you're in any of those areas, you may have to phone them.

As it says in the landing page, If you are looking to book a civil marriage appointment in Dublin/Wicklow/Kildare you will need to contact the registrar directly to book an appointment for the registry office.

The list of registrars is available on https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/contact-a-civil-registration-service.html#Dublin and there is an email address for the Registrar in Dublin as the OP is based in Dublin.

OP, drop the Dublin registry office an email to progress your application

• Advertisement

I found it much easier to do over the phone. Just to note- you can give your notice in any office where you can register births, deaths and marriages, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the one you are marrying in. You might find at the moment that some offices have a backlog for appointments. When I rang last August to make an appointment to give notice, they hadn’t one available until October. But they had slots for weddings in November (I was happy to get married on a Monday or Tuesday to do it as quickly as possible). So I gave my notice in a different office That same week, and took one of the November wedding slots.

Advertisement