Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Question - Looking to go to a league game in Gaelic Grounds. Juveniles are free but how do I reserve a seat for them , or is seating not allocated for league games?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭High bike

Wheather he was or not the main thing is he's back

Post edited by High bike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Agree. And he should never have been away in the first place. Another media driven frenzy.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭High bike

For sure

• Advertisement

With all the commotion its hardly been noticed that the current hurler of the year is only back now too.

That's 2 amazing players and our 2 first choice free takers and we haven't looked half bad without them.

A lot of it stemmed from a ridiculous post from a Clare based social media fan page which basically slandered the shite out of Gillane with a maliciously inaccurate account of the incident. Unfortunately many people ran with that highly inaccurate story.

He absolutely screwed up that night but it wasn’t anything like the account that went around - if it was he wouldn’t be back full stop.

The punishment was the exclusion from the team holiday. The fact that he wasn’t involved up to now was not punishment, that was to protect him, take him out of the firing line and give him a bit of time and space.

I don’t know him directly (never spoken to him) but I know his family. The people running that Facebook group should be ashamed of themselves.

Be very careful what you believe off social media lads - Gillane made a mistake but the account that went around was a steaming pile of bull manure and sadly a lot of people fell for it.

I hope the end result is an Aaron Gillane with a point to prove. His ability is such that it’s not an unlikely prospect that we could have a third different Patrickswell hurler of the year from this group of players in the next few years. Best of luck to him.

Things are going a hell of a lot smoother than last year overall so hopefully that bodes well.

I’d be fairly adamant that last year proved the true value of Lynch - he’s the difference between comfortably winning games (as we did only once last year when he played the full 70 against Cork) and having to grind games out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

that page needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt , a few people run it and in fairness they expect everyone to like and agree to their political views at the click of a finger

their is an anti limerick view on it too , i am not sure the full story in the case but this so called media page is really the only media outlet to actually run the story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

thats my fear , and that of many counties 😉

• Advertisement

It’s an oversimplification in fairness - the return of a fully fit Cian Lynch obviously doesn’t mean we will revert back to 2020/2021 domination levels but the whole thing undoubtedly functions a bit better with him on the pitch.

Your own county men demonstrated last year that for all the talk about the physicality and work ethic of this Limerick team that it is actually possible to match it. The order of fixtures and Waterford forfeiting home venue are lining up nicely for Clare plus it’s looking like somehow Clare will be coming in under the radar again - they’re being omitted from a lot of people’s picks for the three teams to come out of Munster. Serious dark horses again in my opinion and I’m actually expecting a repeat of last year’s Munster final.

I’m hoping for that anyway - who wouldn’t want a rematch of that final?!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

is there any stream of our match v westmeath today?

Unfortunately not. They streamed the league game in Mullingar in 2021 but not this time for some unknown reason.

Because 2021 was Covid so all games were being streamed. Probably wouldn't have the rights to stream today.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭shocs07

More like a challenge match anyway at the moment. Westmeath not up to much

We can’t read very much into today’s win but Byrnes, Mike Casey, O’Neill and Gillane made their first appearances of the year. Coughlan made his first league appearance of the year. O’Dalaigh got his first start along with Power in goals. Not the type of test that will stand to us next month but a productive run out nonetheless.

Win next weekend and it’s a date with Tipperary in the semi final. I think there’s a home away agreement between the two counties for league knockout games which if we make it through would give us home advantage as we went to Thurles to play Tipp in the 2018 semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭C4000

Good performance today, they won pulling up (given the week that's in it).

Brynes slotted back in effortlessly and delivered his usual high standard. Thought Jamie Power did well on the couple of occassions he was called into action. One good save towards the end and good composure under a couple of tricky dropping balls. Cathal O'Neill was lively, couple of good scores and a couple of wides also, he tired towards the end and will come on for the run.

Fergal O'connor is an interesting option, he's well able to bomb forward and join in attacks. O'Dalaigh had a very satisfactory outing , winning plenty of ball and slotting over a number of scores. Tom Morrissey and Peter Casey showed their class.

Couldn't read anything into the form though, Westmeath looked like a team that didn't believe they could compete and didn't have much fight in them at all. Its an impossible task for them in the division they are in.

I couldn’t make it myself. How was Power on the puck outs?

Did fine....no real errors that I can remember, mixed short and long puckouts throughout. Doesn't have the laser like trajectory of Quaid's puckouts but no one does. You'd obviously need to see him in a more pressurised game, but he looks composed and could be a decent back up option.

if we do make the semi's when are they on?

• Advertisement

brilliant. I hope we make it that's a Saturday evening match so??

Times and venues tbc....not sure if they will go for a double header...no obvious venue for that if its limerick v tipp and cork v Kilkenny.

I read somewhere (maybe here) that if it's v tipp they owe us from.the league semi in 2018??

HQ will decide but given the likely make up that's possible as there will be no obvious double header venue.

They should have just given home to the top team but probably too late to announce that now.

That was me - just to clarify that’s just my personal theory so won’t necessarily happen. I know that when we played Tipp in the semi in 2018 there was no draw for home venue as it was Tipp’s turn under the arrangement at the time and I’m just guessing that arrangement is still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭shocs07

Good overall

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

O'Dalaigh could be a real gem. Years back I saw the rise of one Geroid Hegarty as a centre back on St Patricks Junior As. I was ridiculed at the time for saying he'd be a much better player than Walter Walsh if he got the right coaching. I'm glad to say on this occasion I was right.

O Dalaigh looks to have all the attributes and again comes in a little under the radar. If he was from out the County he'd have been lauded and come in under abit more pressure. That he's from a suburban club and comes in somewhat under the radar even after his Intermediate All Ireland performance is good. He's extremely athletic and takes the ball in his hand first time if he can. Shane O Brien likes to control all balls on his hurley and occasionally loses control under pressure. O Dalaigh is electric on the turn and very accurate. If there is going to be a change in the full forward line come championship it ll be O Dalaigh in for Flanagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Really sad news about Liam Kearns. He really brought us out of the football wilderness and put a lot of pride into the jersey again and got a lot out of the players especially when the hurling was at a very low ebb.

Some memorable days out (albeit for the wrong reasons) and had us knocking on the door and going toe to toe with Kerry in their prime. Was such a shame the lads couldn't get over the line just the once. May he RIP.

• Advertisement

The only scenario where we don't make the semi final is if Wexford beat us, Clare beat Cork and Galway as expected beat Westmeath.

Three way tie then where we can't finish ahead of Clare on scoring difference and Galway would need to overhaul Clare's current +33 advantage in scoring difference.

If Wexford beat us we still finish second in any scenario where both Clare and Galway don't win their games. If we finish level with one of those two we go through on head to head.

Waterford v Kilkenny is effectively a quarter final next weekend where the winners go on to meet Cork.

Wexford beating us would be a big surprise so it's highly likely we meet Tipp.

I wouldn't mind Waterford winning next weekend - then a double header in Nowlan Park would be a viable option. A fine stadium from a spectator's perspective, I really enjoyed the double header out there in 2019.

Advertisement