Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus, half way through!!

Mmmmmmm..... cornish pastie (pasty?)...... mmmmmmmm........

Prue is not the only one not convinced by Lottie's pasties :eek:

And sausage and mash is one of my favourite things!

See, now...... as they were calling time, Linda was looking at her pasties still in the oven on the shelf..... and yet she still gets to serve them.... (I'm sure she wasn't the only one, mind you).

Either you manage your time right or you don't, surely??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Between the pasties and the pies, Bake Off had me drooling this week! Glad to see so many of them do well this week after last week’s mediocrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

It was sad to see Linda to go, I liked her. But she kinda lost from the very start and was completely out of it during the technical, and there wasn't much hope for show stopper to save her, so it was obvious from the very start it was her turn to go.
    Pastries aren't my thing. But cake is... slice of chocolate guinness cake from last night.
    3hMy2gK.jpg

• Advertisement

If I died and went to heaven, pasties, pastries and tarts would be on the menu (more savoury than sweet, though). And bread.

I'm not sure, but I may be a carboholic :o

So I fear the show is all downhill from here for me!

Cake looks gorgeous, not a combination I've come across before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I knew Linda was gone at the start of the show when she said pastry was her week, mothers know how to make pastry. She signed her own death warrant so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What's with putting rice into pasties? Doesn't seem like a very appealing combo

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I liked Linda and I’ve feeling she’d be a very good baker but she was probably out of debt with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

siblers wrote: »
    What's with putting rice into pasties? Doesn't seem like a very appealing combo

Think the rice absorbs excess moisture so pastry doesn’t get soggy but then you run the risk of the filling being too dry like happened last night

• Advertisement

I thought Hermine was pretty unlucky to not win Star Baker last night. It’s clear that the Showstopper is the most important round when it comes to judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Hermine also said that pastry week was her week so I thought she had jinxed herself too at the very start of the show
    Sad to see linda go..she had a nightmare yesterday!

Think laura deserved star baker
    good pasties..first in the technical and a lovely showstopper
    hermines cage looked crap in the showstopper to me so i knew laura had it

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Hermine also said that pastry week was her week so I thought she had jinxed herself too at the very start of the show
    Sad to see linda go..she had a nightmare yesterday!

Think laura deserved star baker
    good pasties..first in the technical and a lovely showstopper
    hermines cage looked crap in the showstopper to me so i knew laura had it

Laura only came 6th in the technical! Hermine came 2nd and it was pretty close between her and Peter for 1st, if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Laura only came 6th in the technical! Hermine came 2nd and it was pretty close between her and Peter for 1st, if I recall correctly.

Haha you are right now that I read that...must have rewritten it in my head :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I thought Peter might have gotten the nod this week but there you go.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    See, now...... as they were calling time, Linda was looking at her pasties still in the oven on the shelf..... and yet she still gets to serve them.... (I'm sure she wasn't the only one, mind you).

Pretty sure it’s always edited to make it seem like they’re more short on time than they actually are.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I thought Peter might have gotten the nod this week but there you go.

I actually thought it was going to be between Hermine and Peter. I didn’t think Laura had done enough to win Star Baker.

What is the theme today? Carrot cake here tonight.

DSwAKqP.jpg

j@utis wrote: »
    What is the theme today?

Japanese!

Japanese!
    I'm fully prepared to be bored stupid tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Japanese!

Is that a bit odd

• Advertisement

Damn! I should've made Japanese cheese cake instead!

I’m just expecting lots of Wasabi!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm actually getting pissed off by 'themes' this year in Bake Off.

This is Japanese cooking not baking.

Chocolate week was also crap this year.

There is a reason no one has ever heard of this cold crepe cake.

Looks disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

It has been mentioned Peter is from Scotland, but to me he has the biggest Bristol accent!

CiaranW wrote: »
    It has been mentioned Peter is from Scotland, but to me he has the biggest Bristol accent!

Only tonight I noticed that I could hear a small bit of Scottish accent!

If Lottie manages to pull off her plan, I'll be well impressed!

Actually enjoyed the Showstopper in the end.

Sad Mark L gone.

I thought it would be Laura but in fairness she did pull it out of bag with showstopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

appledrop wrote: »
    Actually enjoyed the Showstopper in the end.

Sad Mark L gone.

I thought it would be Laura but in fairness she did pull it out of bag with showstopper.

My favorite contestants in the bottom 3 tonight, but would rather Mark L leave than Hermine and Laura.

Anyone but Dave for the win. How did he not know what a crescent is?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

CiaranW wrote: »

A lot of Scottish accents are quite mild. The Edinburgh accent is way softer compared to Glasgow.

• Advertisement

Well, that wasn't quite a bad as I feared..... but there's nothing that had me drooling, or thinking "I must give that a go some time".

In fact, bar the burgers in round 1, there was nothing much I'd fancy eating at all! And certainly not that astroturf crepe cake in round two :(

The whole series so far has been seriously underwhelming for me, and a certain amount can be blamed on Bloody Covid, but not all......

Advertisement