Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long has your Smartphone lasted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mine is an iphone 6 plus from 2016, left it on a train on holidays a month after it getting it. I had to get the train and follow my phone, got off at the next main station and went to the ticket office to report I had left my phone on the train.
    The woman said she had a phone left in by the train conductor, she went and got it and then re-arranged my train travel and told me to spend an hour enjoying the city I was in.
    So it could have lasted just over a month, but I still have it 4 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Just replaced my OnePlus 3 after 4 years of faithful service with the Pixel 5.

Before that I had a Nexus 4 for 3 years. Planning on holding onto the Pixel for about 3 years as long as I don't break it or have any major issues

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

6months to a year before i lose it or smash it.

i had a 900euro galaxy unlocked s4 when it came out. left it on a train after only 3 months.

only spend 80 -100 euro on a phone an unlocked phone in argos now. i learned my lesson. i cant look after things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Coming up on 4 years on my iPhone 7. Thinking of buying the 12 Pro soon

I'd a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge that was about 3 and a half years old. Was going fine until last week until it randomly just shut down and wouldn't turn on again. No combination of reset buttons would bring it back, and it had zero reaction to being plugged into charger. No idea what happened for it to die so suddenly. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Samsung j6 +... got it about 14 months ago. Super phone, nothing approaching an issue with it. I like photography and the camera is superb on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I get the latest and greatest iPhone every year. Will either trade in the previous one, or give it to one of the young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Using a galaxy s7. 2016 vintage. Great phone. Due an upgrade in work to an iPhone 11 which I'm underwhelmed by

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

can anyone explain what they feel is so fast about the high end Apple/Samsung S models? Im just on a bog standard Xiaomi Redmi 6 but Ive never felt it was slow or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Poco f1 ,about 3 yrs, no need to change

• Advertisement

I've been using my Xperia xa2 for just over two years and it's still going strong. One of the best phones I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

6 years with OnePlus one, replaced it with OnePlus Nord. Only reason I changed was I slept funny on the OnePlus one some night and middle of the screen stopped responding to touch

• Site Banned Posts: 16 Nykay

7 years so far! Which means my iOS version is too old for the vivid ap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

change every two years when im entitled to an upgrade

changed from a HUAWEI to a Samsung S10 back in may , much preferred the HUAWEI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

God, I can't stand fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

I gave my Oneplus 3 to my dad about a year ago and it's still going strong. It's 4½ years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What is wrong with some people and wrecking phones? I still have a Galaxy Ace that I got in 2012 and it's working perfectly. Obviously it won't install any of the newer apps but it works as a phone and texting device. It spent its life in a case with a screen protector and looks mint. I also have a spare battery for it (removable batteries is something the manufacturers need to bring back)

Also have a couple of working Xperia M4 Aquas and an Xperia XA1. They are all working and could go straight into service if something went wrong with my normal phone.

Seems like a lot of people treat things like phones as disposable items which is a shame. My tv is one that was sold very cheaply as it wasn't working - I fixed it at no cost. My laptop was an insurance write-off from a friend and it's been glued and screwed and taped back together and is working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Have my 6s almost 3 years now.

Starting to encounter issues with charging and battery. Will getting the battery replaced give it a new lease if life?
    Don’t fancy upgrading yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I tend to sell my current phone and buy a new one every 2 years. Although it's been as little as a year for some phones.

It's easy to sell phones on Amazon as long as you keep them in good nick. Until January at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Have my 6s almost 3 years now.

Starting to encounter issues with charging and battery. Will getting the battery replaced give it a new lease if life?
    Don’t fancy upgrading yet.

I don’t know about a new lease of life but it should reduce the necessity to charge multiple times a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I got 3 years out of my last one. I would have kept it longer if the battery wasn't fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Lots of comments about batteries here: the #1 enemy of these LiOn batteries is heat. It doesn’t matter too much whether the heat comes from the phone getting hot in use, or through fast charging, or just being in your jeans pocket all day: the cooler you can keep the phone, the less battery degradation you’ll have over time. Wireless charging is great but you need to be careful to position the phone correctly.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭circadian

I've had my BQ Aquaris Pro since launch. I'd say about 3 or 4 years. Battery life is decent. Fully rooted and running LineageOS but I'm considering moving to another OS if there's anything as complete. Getting banking and Google pay to work is a bit of a pain in the ass but it can be done.

They all last up to the year until I change them. They’re all still working fairly well though, even going back to 2013 ones.

FanadMan wrote: »
    (removable batteries is something the manufacturers need to bring back)

This is something i wish would be implemented, I had an apple 5s, loved it to bits.
    It was something i could take apart and replace parts or battery as needed.

Had the original pixel phone, dropped it a cracked the screen, my local repair shop wanted to charge me 100 to 150 to replace it, rather pay for a new phone for that price.

I have a pixel 2xl now, great phone but battery starting to wain, and i'm not a heavy user.

I think thats the issue manufactures are focusing on now, larger batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People change phones cos phones are cheap, android has new versions every 3 years,
    We are going backwards,
    It's now very hard to buy a phone with a removable battery,
    After 2,years the battery wears out . Battery life shortens
    Phone us not much use if battery only lasts 5 hours on 4g or WiFi
    Even wireless earphones have batterys that wear out
    I intend to use this phone as long as I can get 8 hours charge on it
    At least you can get a good price for an old iPhone 10, 11.if you want to buy the latest model
    I don't understand people who buy a new iPhone every year,
    New iPhone 12 has 5g,
    Great for the 2 per cent of people that can actually get 5g
    In America 4g is faster to use than 5g
    in the few places where 5g is available
    for 99 per cent of users

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FanadMan wrote: »
    What is wrong with some people and wrecking phones? I still have a Galaxy Ace that I got in 2012 and it's working perfectly. Obviously it won't install any of the newer apps but it works as a phone and texting device. It spent its life in a case with a screen protector and looks mint. I also have a spare battery for it (removable batteries is something the manufacturers need to bring back)

Also have a couple of working Xperia M4 Aquas and an Xperia XA1. They are all working and could go straight into service if something went wrong with my normal phone.

Seems like a lot of people treat things like phones as disposable items which is a shame. My tv is one that was sold very cheaply as it wasn't working - I fixed it at no cost. My laptop was an insurance write-off from a friend and it's been glued and screwed and taped back together and is working perfectly.

Nothing wrong with people.

I just wouldn't want to be using an 8 year old phone that can't run latest software or apps.

I would have no interest in using TVs or laptops that are held together by tape or screws. Sounds very miserable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

riclad wrote: »
    People change phones cos phones are cheap, android has new versions every 3 years,
    We are going backwards,
    It's now very hard to buy a phone with a removable battery,
    After 2,years the battery wears out . Battery life shortens
    Phone us not much use if battery only lasts 5 hours on 4g or WiFi
    Even wireless earphones have batterys that wear out
    I intend to use this phone as long as I can get 8 hours charge on it
    At least you can get a good price for an old iPhone 10, 11.if you want to buy the latest model
    I don't understand people who buy a new iPhone every year,
    New iPhone 12 has 5g,
    Great for the 2 per cent of people that can actually get 5g
    In America 4g is faster to use than 5g
    in the few places where 5g is available
    for 99 per cent of users

Batteries can all be replaced easily if required. Either do it yourself or bring to a phone shop.

In relation to 5g, your comments about the US are incorrect.

Either way 5g is just the beginning and people who are buying 5g phones now are futureproofing,

I don't think people are buying new phones for 5g though. There are other reasons.

Also, in relation to Android. New phones and software comes out all the time. Not just every 3 years. That's an extremely long time in tech.

I love how threads like this bring all the people out of the woodwork who are proud of how old their phones are.

My current phone is 2 days old. Usually get a new device at least once a year. Always look after my phones and sell them on when buying another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

In the early 2000s I was going through a phone a year - various Nokia, Motorola and Ericsson models. They all broke after a year or so.

But since the iPhone came in, I've been getting at least 5 years out of a handset. Got an iPhone 3 in 2009, then got a 6 in 2014. Only changed the 6 last month when the microphone died. Otherwise was still working perfectly and battery was still giving me a full day. Hopefully the XS I replaced it with will last a good while also. People like to complain about Apple, but their products are well made and last for ages.

Advertisement