Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How cheap can I realistically go with a mattress?

Options
  • 15-10-2020 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

I'm doing up the house and starting to feel the pinch regarding costs. Right now, I'm furnishing three bedrooms. One will be used daily, the other two will be spare rooms. How "budget" could I go with the mattresses? I'm thinking 300 for the daily user and 200 for the spares, if I could get away with that. The two spares would be used maybe two or three times a year for a few nights.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Single bed e110?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

greasepalm wrote: »
    Single bed e110?
    Sorry, 3 x 4.6

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

IKEA, IKEA, IKEA... very hard to beat the quality you get, for the price you pay. We needed a new mattress a few months ago, and I decided to sign up to Which.co.uk to get some form of impartial advice. IKEA may not get the top gong in every category, but they're pretty close, and far cheaper than other well rated mattresses. We went for the pocket sprung HOVAG and haven't been disappointed.

Good luck with your decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

2 layers of this per bed:
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/malfors-foam-mattress-firm-white-00277423/

We had a way more expensive mattress and this on the daybed in my kids room. We got rid of the expensive mattress and got two layers of this because it's way more comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The basic foam mattress from IKEA is not a bad product at all. I have heard of people who have tried lots of others, then got the inexpensive IKEA model and found they were very happy with it. Sprung is not necessarily better, it's just a more expensive construction method. It's really a matter of preference.

• Advertisement

The basic foam mattress from IKEA is not a bad product at all. I have heard of people who have tried lots of others, then got the inexpensive IKEA model and found they were very happy with it. Sprung is not necessarily better, it's just a more expensive construction method. It's really a matter of preference.
    That's the thing, how to judge. Even if shops were open, a few minutes lie down on a few in the shop isn't going to tell much.

To go in a slightly different direction... which type rather than which model?

Memory foam - are heat concerns justified, should I dismiss this type because of this?

Hybrid - don't know much about this.

Open coil - older tech, cheaper, but good enough?

Pocket sprung - supposed to be better?

I'm a bit handicapped with my budget, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cheap as you can get. You want people to get up early and leave. Over stayers are the worst :)

I'm all seriousness though. It's a couple of days a year and they are ornaments the rest of the time . Get budget ones. If you want to splash out later when you have do. But don't oblige now. Theres no reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Heighway61 wrote: »
    To go in a slightly different direction... which type rather than which model?

Memory foam - are heat concerns justified, should I dismiss this type because of this?

Hybrid - don't know much about this.

Open coil - older tech, cheaper, but good enough?

Pocket sprung - supposed to be better?

I'm a bit handicapped with my budget, I know.

You have investigated the theoretical differences pretty well. It's about personal preference to a great degree.

Your budget is 700. I would buy one Hovag and two Malfors. , or a Hovag, Hamvarik and Malfors.

Any decent beds/mattress place will have similar choices for similar sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

listermint wrote: »
    Cheap as you can get. You want people to get up early and leave. Over stayers are the worst :)

I take a perverse pleasure in teasing my visitors for not waking up early! Regardless of who they are or where they've come from, the first morning after they arrive, it's usually about 11-11.30 before they appear in the kitchen! :D

In recent times, the one thing everyone has commented on is not the mattress but the pillows, in particular the combination of a soft microfibre one with a firmer memory foam (both supermarket branded). When it comes to renewing my guest beds, I'll definitely prioritise pillows and bedding over the mattress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Another thumbs up here for that HÖVÅG from IKEA. It's €250 and is in the spare room here. It comes rolled up tightly which means it fits in a car and can be brought up the stairs without too much trouble. We were originally going to get a cheaper mattress in there for the spare room (pretty sure it was the HAMARVIK) but it was awful.

Advertisement