Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online travel shows

• 09-10-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭

I've always loved a travel show. From wish you were here back in the day to Michael Palin, to Anthony Bourdain, Simon Reve, Rick Stein.

Enjoyed the long way stuff and that one where the couple's raced through south America earlier in the year.

Can anyone recommend anymore for me. Something to let me drift away in these times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭VG31

Michael Portillo's Great Continental Railway Journeys is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You Tube....

Itchy Boots. Best one there is. A solo female biker goes everywhere. Brilliant and very watchable. Her experience in South America during Covid was sobering but very interesting too.

Tread the Globe. A couple quit their jobs to travel around the world in a camper van. But they are now stuck in Turkey.

World Towning A family of four from US travel all over the world. Their latest escapade is buying a catamaran in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭atilladehun

You Tube....

Itchy Boots. Best one there is. A solo female biker goes everywhere. Brilliant and very watchable. Her experience in South America during Covid was sobering but very interesting too.

Tread the Globe. A couple quit their jobs to travel around the world in a camper van. But they are now stuck in Turkey.

World Towning A family of four from US travel all over the world. Their latest escapade is buying a catamaran in France.

Amazing. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I always enjoyed Hector's travel trips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭briany

The best travel show on Youtube is Bald and Bankrupt. He is an Englishman who travels mainly around the former Soviet Union because he's fluent in Russian, but he makes trips to other destinations relatively often.

What's great about him is that he's the walking definition of a gonzo traveller. He'll go way off the beaten path, often gets chatting to the locals and is invited into their homes, and so the channel is much less about staying at some fancy hotel in Venice, and much more about getting the life story of a man still living alone in the wilderness of the Chernobyl zone of alienation.

• Advertisement

Plus 1 for Bald and Nakrupt. Spend a lot of the last few months watching him. Hes very engaging. He loves Russian and Old Soviet architecture , loves a drink and loves hot women :)
    He also caught Covid a couple of months ago, and I think it was someone from the Russian goverment who had him airlifted and treated in a military hospital.
    He lived in India for years and speaks a few diffferent Indian languages.

Also like Harold Baldr, a Norwegian youtuber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭VG31

For a more light-hearted travel YouTube channel, The Tim Traveller is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I’m a big fan of Richard Ayoade’s ‘Travel Man’ on Channel 4’s All4 player. He takes city breaks to european cities and generally brings along a comedian for the ride. There’s a couple of Christmas specials where he goes further afield to Hong Kong, Jordan etc. Highly recommend!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Always found him a bit of a pain in the arse tbh. :) Too much banter with the superfluous celeb, not enough looking around the place.

Had one in Istanbul where he looked at the Agia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Topkapi Palace from a Bosphorus ferry and concluded they were done and he didn't need to go into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

BBC 2 new series: Michael Palin: Travels of a Lifetime
    Watched one episode yesterday, was quite good
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000n7c8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

If you've watched the series themselves, the shows don't add a huge amount. I think they're really just flyers to sell the shows to a new audience generation. Which is fine of course; they're fantastic shows and deserve to be plugged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I watched the Amazing Race Canada and The Amazing Race USA for years, then got a bit tired of them.

Recently I have started watching again and I am catching up on the seasons that I missed. Enjoying them.

In the afternoons on Channel 4, you have A Place in the Sun....Home or Away. There are different versions of this show on at different times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

If you like the long way shows check out an Irish guy called oisin Hughes who did a round the world motorcycle trip himself.

I think it's called not dead yet on you tube.

It's actually brilliant.

https://youtu.be/ZFTgX6Vnk0Q

Also any of the Simon reeves shows are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

If you like the long way shows check out an Irish guy called oisin Hughes who did a round the world motorcycle trip himself.

Also any of the Simon reeves shows are excellent.

I have to say I didn't like his show on Northern Ireland. It seemed to be cobbled together.

Advertisement