Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This “the GAA is essential for the country’s mental health” nonsense is getting on my wick. I wish these GAA sycophants would realise there are people in this country who couldn’t give a toss about the GAA.

Do you know what would be good for the country’s mental health? Less of a focus on the GAA.

It seems that most would agree would my assertion above - 67% of those interviewed in the Amarach Reseach Poll on Claire Byrne Live tonight voted "no" to playing the Championships this year. And yet Colm O'Rourke and David Brady are on talking about GAA like it's the most important thing in the world again full of cliches and "ah shure look it" type soundbytes. FFS. :rolleyes:

Ha! Ha!

O'Rourke droped a bomb there for Claire Byrne with his teachers unions are "good at doing stupid things" comment. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It seems that most would agree would my assertion above - 67% of those interviewed in the Amarach Reseach Poll on Claire Byrne Live tonight voted "no" to playing the Championships this year. And yet Colm O'Rourke and David Brady are on talking about GAA like it's the most important thing in the world again full of cliches and "ah shure look it" type soundbytes. FFS. :rolleyes:

That would mean that 33% of people would enjoy it. If it was a low risk activity and could bring joy to one third of the country, I'd say it's something worth doing.

I'm not a GAA fan by the way. But at the moment, soccer is about the brightest thing in my week (now they've taken golf away) and I genuinely look forward to the games. If one third of our population, almost 2 million people, felt the same about GAA then it should go ahead.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    That would mean that 33% of people would enjoy it. If it was a low risk activity and could bring joy to one third of the country, I'd say it's something worth doing.

I'm not a GAA fan by the way. But at the moment, soccer is about the brightest thing in my week (now they've taken golf away) and I genuinely look forward to the games. If one third of our population, almost 2 million people, felt the same about GAA then it should go ahead.

No. It was 24%, with the rest undecided.

Not sure what census you’re using to get your population base either btw - it’s the republic only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Ha! Ha!

O'Rourke droped a bomb there for Claire Byrne with his teachers unions are "good at doing stupid things" comment. Lol.

He said the same thing when he was on head to head against the ASTI representative on the radio the other week. This was at the time that the union was suggesting that the teachers should go on strike.

No. It was 21%, with the rest undecided.

Not sure what census you’re using to get your population base either btw - it’s the republic only.

Ok, so that’s something that could make 1 million people in the ROI happy. Well worth doing if it’s deemed sufficiently low risk on that basis. Life is **** enough as it is.

Ok, so that’s something that could make 1 million people in the ROI happy. Well worth doing if it’s deemed sufficiently low risk on that basis. Life is **** enough as it is.

By that logic if 1million people decide not to wear masks that’s ok then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭fire_man

Mark just let the guests speak.Very frustrating listening to that.

By that logic if 1million people decide not to wear masks that’s ok then?

Then you aren't reading my post. I said "if it's deemed sufficiently low risk". Not wearing masks is deemed high risk.

Then you aren't reading my post. I said "if it's deemed sufficiently low risk". Not wearing masks is deemed high risk.

No, I read your post alright. Your central point is that if enough people want it they should get it.

As someone who works in a hospital and who has access to a lot more information than you have on this I can tell you it's not low risk.

• Advertisement

No, I read your post alright. Your central point is that if enough people want it they should get it.

As someone who works in a hospital and who has access to a lot more information than you have on this I can tell you it's not low risk.

Well you're willfully ignoring what I wrote then. In two posts, I said "if it's deemed sufficiently low risk". Read what I posted, not what you want me to have posted.

How many cases have resulted from inter county GAA games so far?

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

Jess Kelly on this morning with an "amazing app" that tells you what song based on humming it.

She said Shazam you have to sing. No you don't, humming works too.

Jess Kelly is so uninformed. Tech expert my arse, I think her target audience must be 60 year olds who type with one finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Totally agree with you. And that young fella she has on talking about phones on techtalk at the weekend. Jesus wept

Well you're willfully ignoring what I wrote then. In two posts, I said "if it's deemed sufficiently low risk". Read what I posted, not what you want me to have posted.

How many cases have resulted from inter county GAA games so far?

Did I say there were any? It's just that they can't seem to control themselves thereafter. You are very much aware that several outbreaks have been linked to post-match celebrations (incl. by players) at club level. There haven't been inter county games save for this past weekend so it's too early to tell - but let's just ignore that.

And let's ignore the fact that O'Rourke and Brady have a financial interest in the games going ahead with their various punditry and commercial gigs. Brady even managed to slip in his AIB ad tagline "I honestly believe we're closer as a society more now than ever" (or whatever it is) into the proceedings last night.

Did I say there were any? It's just that they can't seem to control themselves thereafter. You are very much aware that several outbreaks have been linked to post-match celebrations (incl. by players) at club level. There haven't been inter county games save for this past weekend so it's too early to tell - but let's just ignore that.

And let's ignore the fact that O'Rourke and Brady have a financial interest in the games going ahead with their various punditry and commercial gigs. Brady even managed to slip in his AIB ad tagline "I honestly believe we're closer as a society more now than ever" (or whatever it is) into the proceedings last night.

I'd imagine the GAA will be come down like a tonne of bricks on any player seen to be breaking guidelines with the bad press they got. Counties won't participate in the same stupidity that some of the clubs did. If they do, they should be absolutely hammered for it.

You may have a point on O'Rourke and Brady. They have a vested interest. I just think that if something could bring joy to 1 million people and could be done safely, they should do it. Life's rubbish at the moment, GAA could genuinely give people something to look forward to.

I wouldn't watch it myself but I know soccer really is the only bit of light for me in this ****show. I genuinely look forward to the games every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Life's rubbish at the moment, GAA could genuinely give people something to look forward to.

I wouldn't watch it myself but I know soccer really is the only bit of light for me in this ****show. I genuinely look forward to the games every week.

It would be great to be able to afford Sky Sports to be able to watch football/GAA. Unfortunately, when you're trying to pay a mortgage, 2 car loans, feed 2 children on €300 a week paying for a premium tv subscription isn't really an option.

It would be great to be able to afford Sky Sports to be able to watch football/GAA. Unfortunately, when you're trying to pay a mortgage, 2 car loans, feed 2 children on €300 a week paying for a premium tv subscription isn't really an option.

I'd imagine so. As patronising as this sounds, I feel massively for people in your position at the moment. It's f**king horrible.

And it's a very fair point you make so I think the government should do what they can to make as many games as possible free to air and not allow SKY to gouge people like the Premier League did. An extra €15-€20 for individual matches from people on top of their multiple subscriptions when the world is struggling is immoral in my opinion.

It's no wonder so many take the dodgy box option.

Sounds like you're living beyond your means. 2 car loans?

You've only been getting 300 for a few weeks and it's back to 350 now.

So you and your wife will be getting 2800 a month. Let's say 1200 on a mortgage, that leaves 400 a week, plenty!

And I'm sure you took a 6 month mortgage break meaning you would have been saving a bomb during the previous 6 months.

So you and your wife will be getting 2800 a month. Let's say 1200 on a mortgage, that leaves 400 a week, plenty!

And I'm sure you took a 6 month mortgage break meaning you would have been saving a bomb during the previous 6 months.

Its not! It's only back to €350 if you earned over €400 per week before Covid. Many people don't.
    I earned €397 a week , I lost my job in September and I now get €300 a week. I would give anything to have a job right now. Believe me very few people who are on the PUP want to be sitting at home during Winter, its absolutely soul destroying.

I am single. I don't think €400 a week left over after paying mortgage is that much for the OP. Not with 2 kids, insurance, car tax, NCT, heating and lighting bills, groceries, petrol, bin charges, property tax, medical expenses...........and 2 car loans. Many people need 2 cars as most people in a couple are both working to pay for the mortgage. Kids have to be dropped to creche/school/ sports and a 2nd car is a necessity especially in the country.

You sound completely out of touch.

• Advertisement

Its not! It's only back to €350 if you earned over €400 per week before Covid. Many people don't.
    I earned €397 a week , I lost my job in September and I now get €300 a week. I would give anything to have a job right now. Believe me very few people who are on the PUP want to be sitting at home during Winter, its absolutely soul destroying.

I am single. I don't think €400 a week left over after paying mortgage is that much for the OP. Not with 2 kids, insurance, car tax, NCT, heating and lighting bills, groceries, petrol, bin charges, property tax, medical expenses...........and 2 car loans. Many people need 2 cars as most people in a couple are both working to pay for the mortgage. Kids have to be dropped to creche/school/ sports and a 2nd car is a necessity especially in the country.

You sound completely out of touch.

No one needs 2 car loans. I have no sympathy.

I find it hilarious people trying to keep up with the Jones's maxing themselves out.

Step 1 of being financially responsible is saving up for 6-12 months of living expenses. I could get 0 social welfare for the next 6 months and I'd still be able pay my bills.

I'm telling ya, if I got a 6 month payment break on rent, getting 350 a week, I'd be laughing. Jeez, how do people on the dole survive at all eh? :)

I swear if you said that to me face to face I would probably deck you. I'll refrain from name calling here though.

I am not living beyond my means. Thankfully as a result of prudent financial planning I am somewhat able to whether this storm. We haven't had to request any holidays/breaks etc but its impacting on our savings massively. We've also had to scale back any unnecessary spending - such as Sky TV.

Mortgage is only one thing you have to worry about. Health insurance, mortgage protection policy, electricity, heating, insurance (home and car), motor tax, fuel for cars, local property tax, TV licence fee, doctors/dentists/pharmacy, grocery shopping, broadband and phone bills. Last week €65 of my PUP was spent on a GP consultation and prescription because of a back injury.

Up until August this year I never received a cent in state support as an adult (bar of course child support). Since losing my job a few months back I've received a fraction of what I paid in PAYE/USC earlier in the year through the PUP.

I swear if you said that to me face to face I would probably deck you. I'll refrain from name calling here though.

I am not living beyond my means. Thankfully as a result of prudent financial planning I am somewhat able to whether this storm. We haven't had to request any holidays/breaks etc but its impacting on our savings massively. We've also had to scale back any unnecessary spending - such as Sky TV.

Mortgage is only one thing you have to worry about. Health insurance, mortgage protection policy, electricity, heating, insurance (home and car), motor tax, fuel for cars, local property tax, TV licence fee, doctors/dentists/pharmacy, grocery shopping, broadband and phone bills. Last week €65 of my PUP was spent on a GP consultation and prescription because of a back injury.

Up until August this year I never received a cent in state support as an adult (bar of course child support). Since losing my job a few months back I've received a fraction of what I paid in PAYE/USC earlier in the year through the PUP.

Health insurance is not that important.

Mortgage protection is about 10 euro a month at most...

Heating costs have dropped about 40%.

TV licence is 12 euro a month.

Phone bill can be had for 10 euro a month.

Health insurance is not that important.
    Yes it is. Its very important.
    Mortgage protection is about 10 euro a month at most...
    No its not.
    Heating costs have dropped about 40%.
    No they haven't. I don't use oil or gas.
    TV licence is 12 euro a month.
    True
    Phone bill can be had for 10 euro a month.
    True but may not suit everyone.

Yes it is. Its very important.

No its not.

No they haven't. I don't use oil or gas.

True

True but may not suit everyone.

How do you heat your house then?

How much is mortgage protection?

Think you need to look at your finances and costs buddy!

I use an energy efficient geo thermal heatpump which runs on a low rate night meter.

Mortgage protection is €10 per month if your mortgage is €100k repayable over 10 years, under your own name/single applicant. Curious to know what sort of a house you live in or what sort of life you live?

I'm an accountant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Jeez will you give it a rest !

It's not up to you to tell him what he should and shouldnt have. This is a hard time for everyone and judgemental people like you are tiring.

No one needs 2 car loans. I have no sympathy.

I find it hilarious people trying to keep up with the Jones's maxing themselves out.

Step 1 of being financially responsible is saving up for 6-12 months of living expenses. I could get 0 social welfare for the next 6 months and I'd still be able pay my bills.

I'm telling ya, if I got a 6 month payment break on rent, getting 350 a week, I'd be laughing. Jeez, how do people on the dole survive at all eh? :)

I love how other people project their stereotypes on others. That's pretty poor. You don't know the poster - you've no right to judge them or why they have two car loans.

You can really see a smug unpleasantness from some people throughout this pandemic.

I love how other people project their stereotypes on others. That's pretty poor. You don't know the poster - you've no right to judge them or why they have two car loans.

You can really see a smug unpleasantness from some people throughout this pandemic.

Its a mad world and a mad time.

Its funny when he refers to "keeping up with the Jones" because I'm not so sure the Jones' are driving an 8 year old Hyundai car!

Its funny when he refers to "keeping up with the Jones" because I'm not so sure the Jones' are driving an 8 year old Hyundai car!

Car loan on an 8 year old car?

You're going wrong if you have a loan on an 8 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Motoring forum —->>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Do you have a car loan on an 8 year old car?

Thankfully they’ve ditched “Sportschat with Ciara and Quinny”; “Sportschat with Shane and Quinny” isn’t much better btw but at least you know now at least one of the two of them have watched the sport they’re talking about - even if it’s not Quinny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭fire_man

Can't understand how Quinny is still on the payroll.The sports on breakfast show is pointless. Only or two topics discussed and all other sports ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,023 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ciara Kelly has quit twitter
    Twitter obituary: the account of Ciara Kelly passed away this evening after a long battle with irritable gowl syndrome. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

zell12 wrote: »
    Twitter obituary: the account of Ciara Kelly passed away this evening after a long battle with irritable gowl syndrome. :D

As a person who craves attention, I imagine she'll be back at some stage.

zell12 wrote: »

Not sure if you’re being serious or not? Has she really ditched twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Her twitter account has been deleted.It is a bit odd as she was saying during the week that she was addicted to it. Was she getting abuse? It couldn’t have anything to do with her Covid views , could it? She was one of the few who was saying that the restrictions are an overreaction.

hamburgham wrote: »
    Her twitter account has been deleted.It is a bit odd as she was saying during the week that she was addicted to it. Was she getting abuse? It couldn’t have anything to do with her Covid views , could it? She was one of the few who was saying that the restrictions are an overreaction.

Might be more to do with her doxxing of a rape victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

From what I’ve seen on Twitter I think some far right people were endorsing her views. She was being called the Irish Katie Hopkins.

I’d quit too if someone compared me to that witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

If Shane Coleman ever quits I wonder could we get the dream team of Dr Kelly and Paul Williams on air?

• Advertisement

redbuck wrote: »
    From what I’ve seen on Twitter I think some far right people were endorsing her views. She was being called the Irish Katie Hopkins.

I’d quit too if someone compared me to that witch.

Oh lol!

Loving “the Irish Katie Hopkins” nickname!

redbuck wrote: »
    If Shane Coleman ever quits I wonder could we get the dream team of Dr Kelly and Paul Williams on air?

Williams was ok with Brendan O’Connor this morning. He hasn’t changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I very much dislike Ciaras Me Me Me way of presenting and could never have her on for very long before switching off. But, she has been brave and in my view quite right about the over reaction to Covid. The majority of the sheep in media are just scaremongering in their echo chamber.

Williams was ok with Brendan O’Connor this morning. He hasn’t changed.

Seriously? Williams sounds so bad he should never be left near a microphone. Shouda been a Garda as he is a useless journalist.

I very much dislike Ciaras Me Me Me way of presenting and could never have her on for very long before switching off. But, she has been brave and in my view quite right about the over reaction to Covid. The majority of the sheep in media are just scaremongering in their echo chamber.

She’s done more than her fair amount of scaremongering herself. She keeps using the example that we are going for more restrictions than any other EU country; when she knows full well the reason for that is because of the acute bed (and ICU beds in particular) shortage and in Ireland, and comparative ratio to all other EU countries.

Seriously? Williams sounds so bad he should never be left near a microphone. Shouda been a Garda as he is a useless journalist.

Yeah I was quite surprised myself tbh but he did about 5mins on John Gilligan and the hun found in Spain.

Btw, we’ll soon have to call him Dr. Paul Williams as he’d doing a PhD at the moment. He didn’t mention this btw, but that’s what he’s doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Might be more to do with her doxxing of a rape victim.

Very publicly as well. That woman was fairly vocal in what happened with dear Ciara.

She’s done more than her fair amount of scaremongering herself. She keeps using the example that we are going for more restrictions than any other EU country; when she knows full well the reason for that is because of the acute bed (and ICU beds in particular) shortage and in Ireland, and comparative ratio to all other EU countries.

She is not scaremongering, we actually do have more restrictions that any other EU country. And why should we all be on lockdown because we dont have enough ICU beds. At best get more ICU beds and staff and at worst strongly advise anyone at risk to self isolate. If I were in the vulnerable groups I would not expect everyone to stay in on my behalf.

She is not scaremongering, we actually do have more restrictions that any other EU country. And why should we all be on lockdown because we dont have enough ICU beds. At best get more ICU beds and staff and at worst strongly advise anyone at risk to self isolate. If I were in the vulnerable groups I would not expect everyone to stay in on my behalf.

That post really shows how little you know about hospitals and ICU beds.

You need 4 x trained ICU nurses for every ICU bed, not to mention other equipment. Even if the Govt. tomorrow opened an ICU only hospital with 1000 beds there’s not enough ICU nurses out there to staff them. There’s not enough to staff 10 new beds. Guess how many ICU-trained nurses are sitting on their holes doing nothing or are unemployed in Ireland right now? Zero.

You say get more beds like it’s flicking a switch. Ffs. :rolleyes:

And that’s why it’s scaremongering.

• Advertisement

Possibly the most uninformed post I’ve seen on boards in a long time, and that’s saying something. Actually wondering are you trolling now.

I hope you or your family aren’t in need of the health service now or on the future if that’s your attitude.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement