Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid level 5

Options
  • 21-10-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if doing building works to my own house count as essential. Its outside the 5km and need to travel from where renting currently daily to work on it.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The 5km restriction is only for exercise.

If building / renovating your house is your work, then you're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭EriktheRed

Can painters work then? Its classified as construction industry and it is branded "essential" in these times?
    I'm a one , looking for some opinions as again it doesn't say I shouldn't but it doesn't say I should either?

Are painters a maintenance service?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Are painters a maintenance service?

They def are , question is how "essential" it is to have someones bedroom painted? I have a list of customers waiting but its a little bit unclear if I should be on the road or not. It's all interior now. Work is local so no breach of 5km, however getting supplies is 15 km away. Paint shop is open (and its paints only shop) but if I'm stopped by guards they might have a different point of view.
    I don't really fancy sitting at home now but don't want to get fined either. I'm thinking actually to ask the guards today...

The 5km restriction has nothing to do with work, I'm not sure why people are hung up on that.

The 5km is a restriction for exercise, and if you are working at something that you cannot do from home (and is on the gov.ie work list), then there is absolutely no restriction of movement.

• Advertisement

Yes you are right regarding 5km restriction.
    And yes that's how I see it myself too, regarding government statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The 5km is a restriction for exercise
    Not true. There is a 5km limit for exercise, but there's also "stay at home" directive and "penalty for movement outside 5 kilometres of home" with exceptions.

One of the exceptions is for essential services, which includes all construction.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#domestic-travel-restrictions

However, if your work is not an essential service, and it's more than 5km from your home, then you should not go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Got stopped at a checkpoint yesterday, said I was going to work, that was it. I was, it's not my day job, I'm not employed as a construction worker, I don't get paid as it's my house I'm working on. But I didn't say I was on my way to my employment so wasn't a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

The 5km restriction is only for exercise.

If building / renovating your house is your work, then you're fine

Outside of this house I don't work in construction

Advertisement