Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of Tullamore MW mast.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Is the Athlone mast still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Last I heard Athlone was donated to a preservation society but that was a few years ago.

Too new to post links but there's an Irish Times article from 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Wonder why something like this could not be refurbished and repurposed as a high powered DAB MUX site. Given the location it could significantly increase coverage. Given RTÉ are planning to close their DAB network cannot see something like that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

ka2 wrote: »
    Last I heard Athlone was donated to a preservation society but that was a few years ago.

Only one of the supporting towers was still in athlone I think. The cable used to run between two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

BuzzG wrote: »
    Wonder why something like this could not be refurbished and repurposed as a high powered DAB MUX site. Given the location it could significantly increase coverage. Given RTÉ are planning to close their DAB network cannot see something like that happening.

DAB transmissions are the same as FM and therefore DAB should be co located with the FM masts ie 3 Rock,Kippure, Mt. Leinster etc.

AM/MW transmission locations are a different beast altogether, eg being near the sea can greatly enhance transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

RINO87 wrote: »
    Only one of the supporting towers was still in athlone I think. The cable used to run between two
    That’s correct. The demolished tower was still physically onsite though. I used to see the remaining tower a lot on the N6 but haven’t been out that way for a few years now. I think it was being used for mobile phone services so it’s probably still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That’s correct. The demolished tower was still physically onsite though. I used to see the remaining tower a lot on the N6 but haven’t been out that way for a few years now. I think it was being used for mobile phone services so it’s probably still there.

+1 the remaining tower has a large number of dishes on it so it's being hired out as vertical space to comms. companies....

2rn provides site hosting for mobile telephone operators, the emergency services, wireless broadband and other private mobile communications service providers.

We have a network of over 150 sites with towers and masts ranging in size from 10m to over 300m in height.

Our large main sites are ideally located to provide wide coverage from a single location, or for use as collection points for our smaller sites and for those of other site owners and operators.

https://www.2rn.ie/telecoms/

This might be it, Sept. 28th 2018 ......

Plans have been unveiled for a new €7.5 million national science and visitor centre in the midlands.

The purpose-built facility, which is to be located on the site of a decommissioned RTÉ radio transmitter station in Athlone, will have the capacity to welcome up to 100,000 visitors a year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/athlone-to-get-7-5m-national-science-centre-1.3645038

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

The Tullamore mast is notable as being the tallest structure in the country.

re. Athlone

+ also RTE 'filler' FM transmitters for Athlone town itself (89.3 , 91.5) was moved from the town itself (had been at the former RTE studio building in Athlone) out to there (so once again 'Athlone' being used to transmit RTE radio! albeit just to Athlone) using a directional FM band panel on the remaining mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Offaly county council has now granted permission to remove to old MW mast in Tullamore.

http://www.eplanning.ie/OffalyCC/AppFileRefDetails/2033/0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I might be wrong but I think a German national died during the construction of Ballycommon aerial?

Edit: I can't find anything on it. Just something I was told when younger. Most likely to stop us trying to climb it!!

a somewhat related/similar story but a 300 ft (91 metres) high mast on the south coast near Ardmore in West Waterford , used by the defunct marine navigation system called 'Decca' , was taken down a few days ago, removing what was a notable landmark.

It went out of use about 20 years ago (due to GPS) so the mast was idle since then, . The 'Decca' navigational system used frequencies below the LW band and had 4 sites around the Irish coast.

You can still see the mast here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9478378,-7.7471347,3a,75y,45.39h,105.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMq2AfpeNFc00Fkdr5ig19A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

a local report about it's dismantling here:
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=177958248928690&story_fbid=3700247800033033
    though incorrectly says it ceased operating 10 years ago, when actually it was 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Antenna wrote: »
    a somewhat related/similar story but a 300 ft (91 metres) high mast on the south coast near Ardmore in West Waterford , used by the defunct marine navigation system called 'Decca' , was taken down a few days ago, removing what was a notable landmark.

It went out of use about 20 years ago (due to GPS) so the mast was idle since then, . The 'Decca' navigational system used frequencies below the LW band and had 4 sites around the Irish coast.

You can still see the mast here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9478378,-7.7471347,3a,75y,45.39h,105.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMq2AfpeNFc00Fkdr5ig19A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

a local report about it's dismantling here:
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=177958248928690&story_fbid=3700247800033033
    though incorrectly says it ceased operating 10 years ago, when actually it was 20 years ago

Thanks for that info, I've often wondered what that was for

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

BuzzG wrote: »

The only use for the 298 meter mast would be Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM). This radio platform has totally failed in Europe. This radio mode uses the AM band (LW, MW, SW) and there's no demand for the service in Ireland, even worse than DAB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cube98

RTE spent a fortune doing major maintenance on this mast in the mid 00s and it was a long painstaking job. Only 3 years later it was switched off permanently. To be fair to RTE, they were under the impression when they commissioned the refurbishment work that DRM would ikely to take off in the coming decade.

RTE did indeed spend a fortune on upgrading the mast, I don't know about the TX itself as it sounded the same after, its hard to understand such high cost maintenance back in 2004 and turned it off in 2008. Just like the upgrade in Long Wave 252, a new transradio 300kw TX installed in 2007 and now doing their best to switch it off.
    I hope going forward, RTE turn up the power on the repeater transmitters, Today FM have a much more powerful signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mid-00s RTE literally did not know how to get rid of all the money they had, and they thought the good times would last forever...

Life ain't always empty.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I think a German national died during the construction of Ballycommon aerial?

Edit: I can't find anything on it. Just something I was told when younger. Most likely to stop us trying to climb it!!

I never heard of that. It would be in newspaper archives from the time if it did happen.

I know that a tragic accident did occur at a RTE link tower at Kildorrery near the Cork-Limerick border sometime in the 1990s when a local man who attempted to climb the structure one night died from a fall.

( Kildorrery is part of a link between main transmitters at Mt Leinster and Mullaghanish )

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What a shame and a shock to hear of its demolition, CAN WE SAVE IT, anybody out there, if only Tullamore TX can be preserved and used it would be wonderful, sad and an end of an era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

What a shame and a shock to hear of its demolition, CAN WE SAVE IT, anybody out there, if only Tullamore TX can be preserved and used it would be wonderful, sad and an end of an era.

Amusing, 30 years ago a similar mast was erected between Summerhill in Co. Meath and Kilcock for Atlantic 252 radio and later RTE long wave and there was huge opposition to it's construction. Locals were up in arms big-time

Amusing, 30 years ago a similar mast was erected between Summerhill in Co. Meath and Kilcock for Atlantic 252 radio and later RTE long wave and there was huge opposition to it's construction. Locals were up in arms big-time

+1 can you just imagine the reaction today if the ESB applied for PP to erect 2 x 200m tall concrete chimneys at the North Wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The respective masts could be picked up by aircraft from a very long way away.You could tune the ADF to 276 or 376 and hear RTE clearly. Same with 252.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is the radio mast still standing, I'm hoping to go and see it at the end of the month, it will be my holiday trip, would I be able to get access into the site? I want to take pictures before it sadly comes down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It is still there... I am currently on hols in Edenderry and can see it from here. I don't think you will get direct site access although you should get some good pics from the site perimeter.

I thought it was a sad sight when I saw it heading down - knowing it is doomed to fall. All the more reason now to push to have the Athlone site preserved and operated as a technical museum.

I would love to have a look around there.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~totalbroadcast/athlone2.html

Would it be easy to put the transmitters back on air today after them being off for 13 years ? Like could 2rn fire up a tone on 567? I remember in late 2002- early 2003, Tom Hand used to fire up a tone on 252 and it got anoraks excited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Would it be easy to put the transmitters back on air today after them being off for 13 years ? Like could 2rn fire up a tone on 567? I remember in late 2002- early 2003, Tom Hand used to fire up a tone on 252 and it got anoraks excited
    Not sure where I heard it but I understand that the transmitter has been removed.

Is the mast still standing? if not it will be an end of an era.

• Advertisement

I think I read somewhere that the tender was awarded to a Connemara based building contractor.

Advertisement