Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are suicidal thoughts normal

Options
  • 13-10-2020 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can I start by saying I am not suicidal. I am not contemplating suicide, nor have I have never made attempts.

What bothers me is quite frequently, especially if under pressure with work or college or even family, my go-to thinking is imagining myself jumping off something high with a rope around my neck.

I get that it's probably my brain trying to release itself from the pressure, but surely it must be an unhealthy sign. I can't explain it better, I have thoughts about suicide without having the desire to carry out said thoughts.

Frankly it's annoying and frustrating that this comes to mind so often. I suppose I'm worried, what if these thoughts come to mind at a time I am particularly low or vulnerable and I somehow do go ahead down that path. I can't imagine myself in that situation thankfully, but I'm not fool enough to think that many of those who have taken that route could never conceive of themselves doing it either.

Is CBT or something needed to retrain my brain to run somewhere else in times of intense pressure? Regarding the pressure, work is busy and essential. I cannot move jobs, and I cannot relinquish this income, have a family to support, bills to pay etc etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Hi Can't Be Normal

Thank you for your post. I note what you say and that you are not suicidal or distressed now, which is good.

Although posters would offer helpful suggestions if they could, I think your question is more something you should discuss with your GP or a counsellor. The Psychology Forum have a helpful thread on how to find a counsellor here.

On that basis I'm going to close the thread here and wish you all the best in finding a way of dealing with your issue.

Thanks

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement