Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income tax Return deadline date?

Options
  • 23-10-2020 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Is the end of October still counted as last date for filing tax return for the year without incurring a late return penalty or has it being extended at all due to the fact the country has gone into level 5 lockdown?

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Is the end of October still counted as last date for filing tax return for the year without incurring a late return penalty or has it being extended at all due to the fact the country has gone into level 5 lockdown?

Thanks for any feedback.

2019 return date has been extended to 10th December.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058114209

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

okidoki987 wrote: »
    2019 return date has been extended to 10th December.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058114209

But that extended date only applies if you file the return online and pay any tax due online.

Otherwise 31 October 2020 remains the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks for the feedback....I get an accountant to do mine but to be fair to him he is snowed under at mo and doubts if he will get mine done by Oct 31st....

What kind of penalty do you pay for filing after Oct 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Thanks for the feedback....I get an accountant to do mine but to be fair to him he is snowed under at mo and doubts if he will get mine done by Oct 31st....

What kind of penalty do you pay for filing after Oct 31st?

If you are unable to avail of the extended pay & file deadline then the late filing surcharge is 5% of the liability (before prelim tax paid) in the first 2 months late then rising to 10% if more than 2 months late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Stratvs wrote: »
    If you are unable to avail of the extended pay & file deadline then the late filing surcharge is 5% of the liability (before prelim tax paid) in the first 2 months late then rising to 10% if more than 2 months late.

Thanks for reply....sorry but a little unclear on your point about 'if you are unable to avail of extended .....deadline'......do you mean if the accountant doesn't get it filed by the extended deadline of December 10th there will be a 5% surcharge?

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply....sorry but a little unclear on your point about 'if you are unable to avail of extended .....deadline'......do you mean if the accountant doesn't get it filed by the extended deadline of December 10th there will be a 5% surcharge?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/ebrief/2020/no-0092020.aspx
    Substitute 10/12 for 12/11 in the above as the original extended ROS deadline was further extended this year due to C19.

You have to file online pay any 2019 balance online and pay the appropriate amount for prelim 2020 online to be able to avail of the extended deadline.

If you’ve any doubt ring your accountant. A short call should clarify in your case if you’re ok to avail extended deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Just do it online? You have time to get a online login setup and can use the extended time it offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

if filing online, you have till 10th December to file and pay for the 2019 tax yesr.

If you are also going to make a pension contribution to reduce tax hen does the same apply, ie 10th dec deadline?
    thanks

realtec wrote: »

If you are also going to make a pension contribution to reduce tax hen does the same apply, ie 10th dec deadline?
    thanks

Yes. ( google ROS ‘extended deadline pension 2020’. insurance companies refer to it )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If some of the outstanding monies are being "warehoused" will Revenue take agree amounts from bank account on Dec 10th or will it be taken immediately after the 31st? Its a ROS transaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 shazaam

nompere wrote: »

But that extended date only applies if you file the return online and pay any tax due online.

Otherwise 31 October 2020 remains the deadline.

It's soooo difficult to find such an important piece of information on the Revenue website!

shazaam wrote: »
    It's soooo difficult to find such an important piece of information on the Revenue website!

I just went to Google. Typed "tax deadline 2020" and got this as the second item (which is the piece that quote came from) :-

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/press-office/press-releases/2020/pr-170920-revenue-announces-further-extension-to-the-pay-and-file-deadline.aspx

it was not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

realtec wrote: »
    if filing online, you have till 10th December to file and pay for the 2019 tax yesr.

thanks

The answer to this is no, only if you are a chargeable person paying and filing online do you get the 10 December deadline.

If you are a Form 12 filer who wants to make a pension contribution before 31 Oct and backdate the relief to the 2019 return, you need to make the pension contribution and to file your tax return by 31 October.

Blud wrote: »
    The answer to this is no, only if you are a chargeable person paying and filing online do you get the 10 December deadline.

If you are a Form 12 filer who wants to make a pension contribution before 31 Oct and backdate the relief to the 2019 return, you need to make the pension contribution and to file your tax return by 31 October.

Thanks but when will they withdraw the cash from bank account where a portion is warehoused?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shazaam

Stratvs wrote: »
    I just went to Google. Typed "tax deadline 2020" and got this as the second item (which is the piece that quote came from) :-

it was not difficult.

Fair enough, but my point is that the Revenue website doesn't do a good job of highlighting information itself. I can't post screenshots but if you go on to the Revenue website then type Tax Deadline 2020 into the search bar you will get zero results.

Also you can only type that search term into Google when you already know that it's a subject that requires further clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

You're absolutely right. I use the Revenue site every day, and ROS all the time at this time of year. I use Google to search for anything on the Revenue site - their own search is worse than useless.

shazaam wrote: »
    Fair enough, but my point is that the Revenue website doesn't do a good job of highlighting information itself. I can't post screenshots but if you go on to the Revenue website then type Tax Deadline 2020 into the search bar you will get zero results.

Also you can only type that search term into Google when you already know that it's a subject that requires further clarification.

I understand what you mean on the search on their own site it’s pretty useless. So what I normally do is google search but put ‘Revenue’ as the first word then follow that with what I’m looking for. Generally that gives results from revenue.ie. I also find that a lot of searches like that bring info from the citizens information site which I consider excellent.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thanks but when will they withdraw the cash from bank account where a portion is warehoused?

Anyone please?

Advertisement