Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline continues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

IRE60 wrote: »
    I did mean to comment! Yea, the latest figures are very concerning. The 12m rolling average of the Daily titles is falling off a cliff. Madness.

The Telegraph I think will kick off a few more papers to drop out as well and if enough of them go the ABC audit will be a busted flush – nobody will want it.

Daily Telegraph salles 317,817 a day and the Sunday 248,288, but one site, similarweb.com, estimated that their website got 65m visitors in December 2019! So,
    It shows where they feel their priorities should be focused

Which is incredible, given virtually every article on there tends to be Premium!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Telegraph is a heap of ****e anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Telegraph I think will kick off a few more papers to drop out as well and if enough of them go the ABC audit will be a busted flush – nobody will want it.

Between INM pulling out of the ABC audit in Ireland, and now the Telegraph in the UK, are we at the beginning of the end of being able to properly statistically monitor the decline of the newspaper industry? Sad if that is the case.
    The 12m rolling average of the Daily titles is falling off a cliff. Madness.

Surely, we will see blood sooner rather than later as a consequence of these significant declines? Irish Daily Star now clocking in at 36k down from 100k little over a decade ago. Irish Daily Mail down to 35k and Irish Daily Mirror down to 25k too. At what point does the plug get pulled on the Irish edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

For a long time I have been losing money selling newspapers as a newsagent due to their high service charge.

I wont be selling newspapers or magazines in a years time.

Nemesis wrote: »
    For a long time I have been losing money selling newspapers as a newsagent due to their high service charge.

I wont be selling newspapers or magazines in a years time.

Interesting. I have seen 2 convenience stores lately that don't sell newspapers but they are a rare exception. Most have just reduced newspaper shelf space.

Why are you waiting a year? Are you aware of other stores who have done the same?

• Advertisement

Buffet is giving up on the newspaper industry which is "toast". He has sold his investments which might help the significant consolidation that is occuring the local US newspaper industry.

Independent.ie paywall goes live on 11 February. Cost will be 130 EUR per year or 2.50 EUR per week. Probably be a leaky paywall.

Peter Vandermeersch, Mediahuis’s man in Ireland said:
    - “stupid” to stop the Sunday World website
    - “We have never seen a company in which morale was so low”
    - Vandermeersch criticises RTE’s role — “it’s not behaving as a public body”

Difficult to see how significant numbers will pay for Independent.ie when similar content is available on The Journal and elsewhere for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭jmcc

JTMan wrote: »
    Difficult to see how significant numbers will pay for Independent.ie when similar content is available on The Journal and elsewhere for free.
    An interview in The Currency suggested that clickbait content is to be cut in favour of serious journalism. (That would obliterate a lot of the Indo commentators.) Not sure how Mediahuis will handle the absolute mess of an Information Architecture of the current Indo website. It may opt for a better design with more depth.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    An interview in The Currency suggested that clickbait content is to be cut in favour of serious journalism. (That would obliterate a lot of the Indo commentators.) Not sure how Mediahuis will handle the absolute mess of an Information Architecture of the current Indo website. It may opt for a better design with more depth.

Regards...jmcc

Yeah, difficult to see how they can switch to serious journalism. Many of the Indo journalists contribute content that also ends up on the Sunday World, The Herald or filters in regional newspapers. Not the kind of role that can easily make the switch to serious journalism.

That said, the only type of content that people have displayed some interest in purchasing online is high quality content so the Indo will need to do something or their paywall will fail.

Yeah, difficult to see how they can switch to serious journalism. Many of the Indo journalists contribute content that also ends up on the Sunday World, The Herald or filters in regional newspapers. Not the kind of role that can easily make the switch to serious journalism.
    Serious journalism is hard to sell in such a small market and even the Irish Times has gone downmarket.
    That said, the only type of content that people have displayed some interest in purchasing online is high quality content so the Indo will need to do something or their paywall will fail.
    The new site seems to be rolling out at the moment. Design-wise, it is a big improvement but a lot of the older content seems to be the process of being transferred.There is a major shift in content positions on the index page.It is definitely a change from the crayon jockey design.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Spoke to a senior manager of a large Irish company today who told me that they have cancelled all newspaper orders in order to reduce the firms carbon footprint and offered FT/IT digital subs in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I see Daily Mail has gone up to €1.80. (My dad says he keeps buying it for the sudoku:P).

I'm guessing 2 quid is the outer limit of what they could jack up the price to before it became totally counterproductive...

Day one of the Indo paywall today. They have some novel ideas of what constitutes "premium" content. Seems to be an attempt to get people to pay for opinion mongering.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Generally you find a lot of the news is syndicated. The exact same story will be on a legally free news site.

Opinion however isn't syndicated. So it really comes down to the quality of the opinion and insights offered.

Day one of the Indo paywall today. They have some novel ideas of what constitutes "premium" content. Seems to be an attempt to get people to pay for opinion mongering.

Regards...jmcc

Dying to see Eoghan Harris's scream of rage and betrayal if Micheal Martin does indeed go back on his word about coalition with SF. Would almost be worth the price on its own...

Regards...jmcc

Seems that the opinion pieces are behind a hard paywall (incognito does not work). The articles can still be read for free via the library Press Display website.

UK magazine ABC stats show the magazine market is continuing to sail into the sunset. Double digit declines for most publications. Ok down 22% YoY.

No ABC numbers from the RTE Guide as they have exited the ABC audit too.

Irish ABC numbers next Thursday for those that are still ABC audited.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If the Indo is no longer ABC audited how are advertising buyers to know what the circulation numbers are? Are they being expected just to take the publishers word for it?

Yeah, they got to take the publishers word. Nearly all the remaining advertising these days in the Indo is from Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, government agencies and concert advertising. I bet the government agencies just pay the going rate and don't demand sales stats. The concert organisers are milking it so much these days the newspaper advertising cost is probably an after thought. Do the supermarkets care about no ABC numbers? Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Yea, I wouldn't be massively surprised if another publisher dropped the ABC. At this point it's a busted metric. Not that it's not straight up, worked with them for a good while and they run the rule over everything, but the momentum is gone in it's value. The Thursday figures are just a set of figures and not a market overview.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

With INM out of ABC I'm vaguely expecting them to lead a dig-up of the JNRS to try claim all the bulks in O'Briens/McDonalds/Insomnia are being read a hundred+ times a day.

When I was a road warrior I did actually read the then free IT/SBP with Applegreen fryups in full most days, but I took it with me and didn't leave it there for re-use :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah, they got to take the publishers word. Nearly all the remaining advertising these days in the Indo is from Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, government agencies and concert advertising. I bet the government agencies just pay the going rate and don't demand sales stats. The concert organisers are milking it so much these days the newspaper advertising cost is probably an after thought. Do the supermarkets care about no ABC numbers? Maybe.

Out of those three Id expect the supermarkets to care about numbers, they tend to watch all their purchases/supply chains like a hawk because of the tight margins and those full page ads every week must be a significant spend. They also have their own apps with the weeks offers on them so they can track numbers of people viewing their offers there too. Perhaps as app usage goes up their newspaper spends will go down.

ABC newspaper circulation numbers for Q2 2019 are out for Irish newspapers that are still registered.

No ilevel analysis so far :eek:

Irish Times down to 54,147 from 58,131 in the same period last year.
    Irish Examiner down to 24,574 from 26,085 in the same period last year.
    Echo (Cork) down to 8,081 from 8,559 in the same period last year.
    Belfast Telegraph down to 31,340 from 33,951 in the same period last year.
    Sunday Life down to 28,636 from 30,435 in the same period last year.

I can't see the Business Post numbers? Are they still registered? They seem to be.

The UK ABC numbers are here.

The journey into the sunset for print continues.

Jasus JT don't know what happened there! Maybe a cache issue with the site but there were completed lunchtime (even checked if I had left the brain in gear and marked the post public!)

Anyhoo...

Yea, pretty underwhelming given the lack of brands being audited. But the takeaway was the 11.4% dip y.o.y. for the mornings, 'only' 9% for the Sundays. The morning figure is a new low, I though our race to the bottom had finished, seemingly not.

In general, I'd be surprised if the rest of the titles were in the ABC in 12 months. Times paid for circulation was 41K and its digital subs were 24K - so you can see that the concentration for the business will be drawn to the digital world.

The threat of exile to the gulags, like on a previous occasion, prevents a link! Sig will spin you there!

C

@IRE60 - Great analysis as always. I think you might have 2 typos. The Echo number is 8,081 ( https://www.abc.org.uk/Certificates/49619908.pdf ). The Business Post figure that you quote is their January to June figure ( https://www.abc.org.uk/product/5254 ) - Do you have their July to December figure?

Yeah, the ABC numbers are on their last legs as the focus shifts to digital. Pitty that we can't follow the numbers all the way into the sunset!

Also, will you be doing analysis of the January 2020 UK figures?

@IRE60 - Great analysis as always. I think you might have 2 typos. The Echo number is 8,081 ( https://www.abc.org.uk/Certificates/49619908.pdf ). The Business Post figure that you quote is their January to June figure ( https://www.abc.org.uk/product/5254 ) - Do you have their July to December figure?

You missed the worst one: He said 'alluded' when he meant 'eluded'!:P

Sense of futility about the whole exercise when you take out the Indo...

You missed the worst one: He said 'alluded' when he meant 'eluded'!:P

Sense of futility about the whole exercise when you take out the Indo...

And here's one we all fcuking missed and i'm sick! the business post didn't file a cert!!!!!!!! Granted JT the Echo is a typo but, the SBP cert was there so I assumed it was the current - not so. Still registered, but no cert.

And here's one we all fcuking missed and i'm sick! the business post didn't file a cert!!!!!!!! Granted JT the Echo is a typo but, the SBP cert was there so I assumed it was the current - not so. Still registered, but no cert.

Strange how the Business Post are paying to be registered but not filling their cert :confused: Disorganised perhaps.

• Advertisement

Strange how the Business Post are paying to be registered but not filling their cert :confused: Disorganised perhaps.
    No, has happened before . The Farmers Journal were still registered - but no cert - then gave up and de-listed, and the ABC don't do the 'disorganisation' thing.

Advertisement