Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

hanaimai wrote: »
    This is exactly what everyone should be doing. The numbers of switchers in Ireland are pretty low and it's crazy the amount of people who sign up for a fixed rate and then just sit on a high variable rate once that's up! As you've already mentioned, the only cost really is legal fees to move bank (assuming you're not breaking out of the fixed rate early) but that's usually well recouped by the potential savings and possible cashback/switching offers etc.

I would go a step further, and given the way the break out fees are now calculated, once the cashback has been received, people can consider switching at that stage if a better offer exists. In the majority of cases, break out fee will be negligible at the moment.

Switching to save you money should be done across the board - and being on a fixed rate is not a reason for not switching (at least until you check the break out fee)

As for staying on high default variable rates - if anyway wishes to give the bank the equivalent of a holiday per year in extra interest fees, then thats their own call ! In real terms, if you have a 300k mortgage and default variable is 4.5% and the rate on the market is 2.8%, every year you are paying the bank 5100 euro extra in interest payments for nothing (after you have paid income tax etc). Think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Is the amount always the same or do you change from month to month?

The amount is always the same I lodge but sometimes the period at certain times between lodgment wouldn’t always be every 4 weeks.

I aim to save €1000 every month but sometimes I don’t get to the €1000 every month so sometimes a period between a lodgment could be 5/6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dolbhad wrote: »
    I do that and bank had no issue with it. You should ensure you lodge it immediately though from withdrawal into the credit union. The bank so look at any withdrawals so they check it corresponds.

I don’t do it immediately cause I save it in cash and when it comes to a €1000 then I lodge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

fin12 wrote: »
    The amount is always the same I lodge but sometimes the period at certain times between lodgment wouldn’t always be every 4 weeks.

I aim to save €1000 every month but sometimes I don’t get to the €1000 every month so sometimes a period between a lodgment could be 5/6 weeks.

That shows consistency of saving for sure, but it might be better reducing the amount to show a manageable amount of saving per calendar month that coincides with your pay check?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Good info here, im 40 and looking to apply this year with my partner for a mortgage. Am I right in saying the max I can get is 25 year mortgage? My age will go against me I guess.

PTSB were the most lenient about age when I applied. Very easy to deal with too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I am looking to apply for a mortgage soon. Just 2 queries.

I currently have a car loan am I better of to clear this before I even apply or is there any benefit to keeping it on while applying as proof of capability to repay a loan and then clear it before the mortgage is drawn down ?

The other question is with the 3.5 times salary limit what is the stance on Annual bonus and overtime. My annual bonus is not guaranteed but for the last few years I have always got it. The overtime I do is weekends and this is actually in my contract so could that be counted towards earnings or typically how does the bank look at it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

CIP4 wrote: »
    I am looking to apply for a mortgage soon. Just 2 queries.

I currently have a car loan am I better of to clear this before I even apply or is there any benefit to keeping it on while applying as proof of capability to repay a loan and then clear it before the mortgage is drawn down ?

The other question is with the 3.5 times salary limit what is the stance on Annual bonus and overtime. My annual bonus is not guaranteed but for the last few years I have always got it. The overtime I do is weekends and this is actually in my contract so could that be counted towards earnings or typically how does the bank look at it ?

First port of call is to arrange a meeting with a mortgage advisor at your local banks branch and they can advise you and start the ball rolling.

From experience they average out your bonus and overtime from the last number of years and then add 30 per cent of the figure to the figure obtained from your p60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

bush wrote: »
    PTSB were the most lenient about age when I applied. Very easy to deal with too.

Mind me asking what your age was at time of application?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Hi All,

Looking at getting the ball rolling on applying for a mortgage. Is it best to meet with the banks individually or is it easier to get on to a broker?

How likely are exemptions on the 3.5x salary limit?

Also will having a credit card with a small amount owed affect the application much?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tolow wrote: »
    Looking at getting the ball rolling on applying for a mortgage. Is it best to meet with the banks individually or is it easier to get on to a broker?

Depends on your situation, if you have a straight forward income / outgoing profile it's just as easy to deal with banks separately. If you don't then explaining your income / outgoings to a broker once and let them do the work is beneficial.
    How likely are exemptions on the 3.5x salary limit?

depends on your income/outgoing profile, basically you need super clean credit history and be earning over a certain salary depends on the bank but you'll be looking of being north of 60-70k. The bank can only five an exemptions to 20% of their mortgage book in a given year. Some banks give these out all at once (if there's applicants for it) and some hold back and spread them out throughout the year.
    Also will having a credit card with a small amount owed affect the application much?

when you say owed are you carrying a balance? if yes, yes it'll affect the application. If you pay off in full every month without putting yourself into more debt elsewhere then it'll have no affect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭scarepanda

13 weeks after going sale agreed, the contracts have come through to the solicitor. Waiting on some info for the engineer to finish the survey report now. I feel like we should be doing/organising stuff but not sure what exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Approximately, how much is solicitor fees? Been quoted 3k...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What does the 3k include? There'll be the solicitor's professional fee which is what the solicitor earns, then there'll be incidental costs like land registry fees, search fees, stamp duty. If the 3k includes the land registry and search fees, then it would be in line with the market. If not, then it would be on the expensive end.

Yea 1. 9k including vat is professional fee and the rest registration fees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I paid 895 for my professional fee

ILikeBoats wrote: »

With who? Was the solicitor any good? I've been quoted around 1900 incl VAT as well, though it's from someone I trust. Hesitant to go with someone cheaper as I've heard all sorts of horror stories from friends who've had to deal with lazy/incompetent solicitors.

Stark wrote: »
    With who? Was the solicitor any good? I've been quoted around 1900 incl VAT as well, though it's from someone I trust. Hesitant to go with someone cheaper as I've heard all sorts of horror stories from friends who've had to deal with lazy/incompetent solicitors.

I found him great - we've used him twice as we switched mortgage.
    I should add it was 895 plus VAT
    I'll PM you

I'll PM you

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

scarepanda wrote: »
    13 weeks after going sale agreed, the contracts have come through to the solicitor. Waiting on some info for the engineer to finish the survey report now. I feel like we should be doing/organising stuff but not sure what exactly

If you wanted, you could get the ball rolling on prices for Mortgage Protection and Home Insurance.

I'll PM you

Please PM aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Uglysoik1

And me too please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NearlyForty

Currently viewing houses at the mo.. Is it normal for an auctioneer to take 2 days to get back to you for a viewing date and time? Are some sellers awkward or needing to pick when it suits them etc..??? We have been to view a few houses already and other auctioneers would give us a time and date straight away and then there’s one house in particular we like so we rang yesterday morning to arrange a second viewing and we’re still waiting for them to ring us back.. Very strange I’d be thinking, or is that the norm..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

PM the details as well! thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Can I ask why you moved so quick. Strange to go through all the hassle and fees only to move a year later.

Probably a bit late replying. We bought a new build, sold it due to to a silly high % of social housing allocated and neighbors of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Currently viewing houses at the mo.. Is it normal for an auctioneer to take 2 days to get back to you for a viewing date and time? Are some sellers awkward or needing to pick when it suits them etc..??? We have been to view a few houses already and other auctioneers would give us a time and date straight away and then there’s one house in particular we like so we rang yesterday morning to arrange a second viewing and we’re still waiting for them to ring us back.. Very strange I’d be thinking, or is that the norm..?

After just signing contracts today on my house I have just sold :D you have to be mindful of the fact people are living in these houses and have lives as well. They cannot at the drop of a hat arrange a viewing to suit you. Its takes A LOT of work to get a house ready for a viewing and most estate agents will try and get 2 or more if possible viewings on the same day or time to accommodate the people in the house. As a seller I am glad its all over but I have now an appreciation of what goes into selling a house as well.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Was that fee for the remortgage or the original purchase of property?

Original purchase

Remortgage was less again

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    After just signing contracts today on my house I have just sold :D you have to be mindful of the fact people are living in these houses and have lives as well. They cannot at the drop of a hat arrange a viewing to suit you. Its takes A LOT of work to get a house ready for a viewing and most estate agents will try and get 2 or more if possible viewings on the same day or time to accommodate the people in the house. As a seller I am glad its all over but I have now an appreciation of what goes into selling a house as well.

Thanks for your reply! Ah that totally makes sense to be fair.. We’re just new to all this and I have a tendency to over think things!
    In the meantime the auctioneer got back to us and we’re viewing tomorrow :)
    Best of luck !

Do banks look for proof of funds for the legal fee’s as well, or are they just interested in the deposit ?
    We will continue saving after going sale agreed of course but may have to get a gift off a parent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Techn0

Hi all,

First time buyer here looking for a bit of guidance on how to proceed over the next few months. I'll run through my dilemma:

I'm currently talking to a broker and getting the mortgage application underway. I have my eye on a new development of which the final phase is being launched this month. As it stands the mortgage required would put me at circa. 4.5 LTI which as you know is on the high side. I'm a single applicant and aware that lenders may choose to give out exceptions to less risk applicants on higher value homes (mortgage value here around €225k). In saying that however the rest of my application would be quite strong - permanent employment, no loans, regular savings etc.

So here's the issue - I am due a promotion in April which will includes a 20% payrise. From talking to my broker he said that I would have no problem getting approval on the revised salary in April. I am eager to reserve one of the units and put a deposit to secure this month, on the basis that when I require the loan (which will be Q4 2020), I will have no issue with getting the mortgage. I understand when putting down a deposit that developers may look for proof of a loan. I also understand it may not be a best course of action to put a deposit down with the above uncertainty.

Any advice on how to navigate this? These units will sell out by April. I want to place a deposit to secure a unit and I have around 15% of the house value in cash (which doesn't include the HTB scheme). I am concerned the agent may look at my current affordability and not accept.

Any thoughts/ inputs are most welcome!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement