Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veganuary 2020

Options
  • 03-01-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭

Happy new year :)

So it's that time of year of again. I've noticed this year there is a lot happening.

KFC have launched a vegan burger since yesterday made from Quorn. Subway have launched a new vegan meat ball and cheese sub.

Anyone seen anything else?

I want to keep this thread free from meat and dairy lobbying so only vegans/vegetarians or people wanting to try out veganuary to reply please

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Keep this post about food products, nothing else

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

New products in Aldi for it:

4nYotb0l.jpg

In iceland there is also a bbq pulled jackfruit pizza

chicago-town-stuffed-crust-vegan-pizza.jpg

Seems to be a ton of things in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Milk for toddlers ( and me lol )

I would also like to point out that there needs to be a reason for restricting a thread to certain posters, a thread about new vegan food products can't/shouldn't be restricted, there is no reason for any debate to take place. If there are posts that are off that topic they can be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

4nYotb0l.jpg

Tried the Aldi brand pizzas and they're very, very good...and not a rip off for a change, which is unusual when it comes to vegan pizza!

Where did you see the Chicago Town one? That looks great.

Edit...Sorry, I see you said Iceland. Gotta try one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭event

4nYotb0l.jpg

That Aldi stuff in UK or here too

event wrote: »
    That Aldi stuff in UK or here too

My local has 3 different types of Pizzas. Vegan Magnum Icecream knock-offs. Vegan sausages. Vegan jambons. Vegan jaffrezi jacket potatoes. I've seen they have vegan pasties on their UK website, but haven't seen them here yet.

The pizzas are top notch. The nicest frozen vegan pizzas I've had and only €2 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

That Chicago Town jackfruit pizza looks deadly, must hunt one down

yeah it's here, they had vegan womens shoes too for 15 euro. The pizzas are flying off the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Of course where I live there is a new Lidl which is useless compared to Aldi :(

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Of course where I live there is a new Lidl which is useless compared to Aldi :(

Agree the lidl selections are a bit underwhelming compared to aldi. Their vegan pizza is very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Subway have their vegan meatless meatball marinara with vegan cheese. Having had the meatball marinara a few years ago, I have to say I found it delicious. €6.50 for the footlong.

Also, Carrot's Tail in Rathmines have rejigged their brunch menu and are offering this epic cheesebomb burger https://www.instagram.com/p/B637yMUn7fO/?igshid=1tynsu3i2glmd

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

First time in KFC for a long time.

Got 3 of the Vegan Chicken Burgers.

We have the seasonal flu so can't tell about the taste or smell
    but overall it is a good experience.

They could put more lettuce on it.

€5.10 per burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I didn't see that vegan pizza in my local Aldi, I must enquire, would love to try it.

65535 wrote: »
    First time in KFC for a long time.

Got 3 of the Vegan Chicken Burgers.

We have the seasonal flu so can't tell about the taste or smell
    but overall it is a good experience.

They could put more lettuce on it.

€5.10 per burger.

I hear it's freely customisable, I'd add more lettuce and mayo from the feedback I've heard.

Subway have their vegan meatless meatball marinara with vegan cheese. Having had the meatball marinara a few years ago, I have to say I found it delicious. €6.50 for the footlong.

Also, Carrot's Tail in Rathmines have rejigged their brunch menu and are offering this epic cheesebomb burger https://www.instagram.com/p/B637yMUn7fO/?igshid=1tynsu3i2glmd

I had the cheesebomb burger today. Delicious and very satisfying to have so much cheese oozing out. The cheese is a recipe with potato and carrot (plenty of cheese sauces on YouTube with the same recipe) and has an excellent cheesey taste. Makes a good Instagram post too.

I had the cheesebomb burger today. Delicious and very satisfying to have so much cheese oozing out. The cheese is a recipe with potato and carrot (plenty of cheese sauces on YouTube with the same recipe) and has an excellent cheesey taste. Makes a good Instagram post too.

Now you're talking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Speaking of Instagram, if anyone is trying out Veganuary and is leaning more towards cooking from scratch,

@plantd.co @earthofmaria and @cookingforpeanuts are three accounts I really like. They do have their own sites and try and sign you up to newsletters for more recipes and stuff but they all post clearly worded, easy to follow, tasty, nutritious full recipes on insta as well. One of them (I think it's plantd) can tend to include ingredients that are difficult to find sometimes but they'd be a really excellent starting point and inspiration for someone starting out who might be a bit intimidated by the thought of vegan cooking.

Speaking of Instagram, if anyone is trying out Veganuary and is leaning more towards cooking from scratch,

@plantd.co @earthofmaria and @cookingforpeanuts are three accounts I really like. They do have their own sites and try and sign you up to newsletters for more recipes and stuff but they all post clearly worded, easy to follow, tasty, nutritious full recipes on insta as well. One of them (I think it's plantd) can tend to include ingredients that are difficult to find sometimes but they'd be a really excellent starting point and inspiration for someone starting out who might be a bit intimidated by the thought of vegan cooking.

Also, Happy Pear's YouTube channel is excellent. They also have recipes for alternatives to meat and dairy food hings e.g. chicken nuggets from cashew nuts and porridge oats and mozarella from cashew nuts and arrow root.

Thanks, followed those!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I've had one of the Aldi BBQ bacon pizzas - was really nice (I added more cheese though as I had some Daiya mozzarella shreds in the fridge). Has anyone tried the chicago town one? The fudge brownie ice cream is lovely.

The Chicago Town Jackfruit pizza is now in Tesco as well ;)

New page here for finds like these on instagram :)
    https://www.instagram.com/veganfood.ie/

Unearthly wrote: »
    The Chicago Town Jackfruit pizza is now in Tesco as well ;)

Which one did you see it in?

New page here for finds like these on instagram :)
    https://www.instagram.com/veganfood.ie/

Which one did you see it in?

Just saw it online.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=304392732

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

M&S have added a lot of new items to their Plant Kitchen range. They now have 100 products in that range, which apparently is the biggest vegan range of all the supermarkets.

JTMan wrote: »
    M&S have added a lot of new items to their Plant Kitchen range. They now have 100 products in that range, which apparently is the biggest vegan range of all the supermarkets.

I had the kievs the other day, they were amazing tbh. The have great quality in general.

I had the kievs the other day, they were amazing tbh. The have great quality in general.

Just picked them up today. I am having a complete fat month and dont care :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

fresh vegan sausage rolls in aldi last night

Abrakebabra posted a mysterious Instagram story yesterday with the word "Impossible" in it and outlining that something will be revealed tomorrow. Some type of vegan menu item is a possibility. We'll find out shortly.

• Advertisement

Abrakebabra posted a mysterious Instagram story yesterday with the word "Impossible" in it and outlining that something will be revealed tomorrow. Some type of vegan menu item is a possibility. We'll find out shortly.

It's vegetarian taco fries. Not vegan :(

Advertisement