Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returnal

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jones wrote: »
    I was playing this in spurts since it came out love it but could not dedicate a lot of time to it life getting in the way.

It took me a long time to get past biome 1 I'm talking 10 plus hours long. But then on 1 run I beat the second and third areas without much issue. It's all down to how good of a weapon you have imo and just being in the zone I suspect

Absolutely. Being in the zone is key, but the right weapon with the right traits, plus some good artefacts and a decent bit of integrity really makes the later biomes much more manageable. That's why for serious runs, I'd normally farm the hell out of the first biome rather than just travel to the 2nd or 3rd once I found the gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Started this , defo this gen the lighting in it is great also the 3d audio is wow !

Love it, don't see the difficulty as of yet , it's very twitch response but nothing overly difficult

Started this , defo this gen the lighting in it is great also the 3d audio is wow !

Love it, don't see the difficulty as of yet , it's very twitch response but nothing overly difficult

Okay yeah not too hard did the first three biomes,
    think you have to finish it a few times to get the ending

Playtime is 5 hours it says not bad got lucky with the gear I picked up and made sure I had loads of health , struggled with first boss yesterday died twice came back after dinner and then boom blitzed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm useless at it so way more than 5 hours :pac:

Still haven't finished it but really enjoyed what I did play!

Okay yeah not too hard did the first three biomes,
    think you have to finish it a few times to get the ending

Act 1 = Biomes 1-3
    Act 2 = Biomes 4-6
    Act 3 =
    Have to do all house sequences, collect a certain item in each biome then beat final boss again

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Act 1 = Biomes 1-3
    Act 2 = Biomes 4-6
    Act 3 =
    Have to do all house sequences, collect a certain item in each biome then beat final boss again

Okay I take that back
    biome 4 and the biome 4 boss Hyperion are wrecking me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

Is it just me or is this harder since the last patch?

jones wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this harder since the last patch?

Felt that aswell first few runs in
    biome 4
    were grand was getting punished last night post patch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

Felt that aswell first few runs in
    biome 4
    were grand was getting punished last night post patch

Yeah i was the same even mining the first biome i died in places i'd never usually die

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh great, it's harder! Just what I wanted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Returnal’s 2.0 update is live today, allowing players to pause mid-run with Suspend Cycle, and get creative with Photo Mode

Suspend Cycle

One of the main features of this update is the Suspend Cycle functionality, which will allow you to pause your cycle to be continued later, letting you exit the game and turn off your console without losing your progress in that session. The structure of the game remains unchanged, so this functionality is not a traditional mid-game "Save Game" option: by suspending the cycle, Returnal will simply create a single use suspend point, and once you resume playing the suspend point is deleted and cannot be used again. Your game will continue directly from the moment you left it, and if you want to suspend the cycle again, your progress will be captured from that new point onwards. There are some limitations in place – for example, players won't be able to create a suspend point during Boss battles, cinematics, first-person sequences or during intense combat scenarios – as we felt there are certain moments in Returnal that are best experienced unfragmented to preserve the intended challenge and flow.

With this approach, we can keep the roguelike spirit and "high stakes" commitment to your run intact, while still providing some quality-of-life convenience for players who like to experience Returnal in shorter bursts. So next time you're deep into a lengthy session on Atropos and life comes knocking at your door, you'll be able to simply Suspend Cycle and jump back in at a more convenient time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Time to finally finish the game, so :)

Love so much about the game but needing two-three hours free to commit to a run was a tough ask. Have made it to the final biome but just didn’t have the time to properly commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Started playing this again recently, fresh save. On my 4th attempt, I finished a run. Never got passed the second area before with hours, so I feel like they made it a bit easier? Looking forward to more runs now that I know what to expect. Excellent game.

The right combination of artifacts, weapons and buffs can make a huge difference, and permanent weapons buffs are always building up in the background the more you use them. General familiarity plays a huge part too.

I don't think they made any of it easier, but it always feels like you're starting again at the start of each run whereas you are genuinely levelling up and improving your odds all the time.

The first time I tried, I was barely getting out of the first area the few times I did manage. Think I got to the second boss once. But yeah, it was definitely a combination of the buffs on the carbine. The one where it shoots faster the longer you hold it down, and some serious luck to keep the adrenaline up!

Must have been it, because I'm back to getting destroyed! Handy to have all (as far as I'm aware) movement abilities. A lot faster now, and the environments are getting harder as a result too, lots more drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I started this over Christmas and I'm really enjoying it. So much so I'm actually tempted to grab it on PC for more precise aiming with a mouse which I think might actually improve the gaming experience for me.

Am I right in thinking I should save Ether from runs and spend it at the column with the white orb in the starting area to unlock new items permanently?

I'd always try to keep enough ether to use the reconstructor (which brings you back to life if you die). Don't use it in the first biome, but in the second or third it can be invaluable if you can find it and can keep a strong run going. Other than that, yeah unlocking new artifacts at the start mean they can then show up on all future runs.

It can be tempting to cleanse malfunctions or chests, but as ether is rare, its best to save it for the bigger stuff. Malfunctions etc can be removed in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've 9nly played about 2-3 hours so far so still finding my way around. Can't wait to give it another go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Love this game so far, I really need to dive into again I got far into the desert level and then set it aside because of the boss 😂

Advertisement