Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dentist

Options
  • 12-01-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

H

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Needtoask wrote: »
    Has anyone gone to a dentist and think they might be gettin ripped off.
    I've been attending my dentist years and she says I need to have check ups every 3/6 months
    Also in the last few months I've had numerous fillings and X-Ray's.
    I've been charged for lab work including wax bites and impressions to check my bite but I've queried seeing the results and I'm being fobbed off.
    Has this happened to anyone.

Did the X-rays show cavities? If they did then do you not think it is in your interest to have your teeth checked regularly? Someone who has good teeth may only need a check up once a year. Also, if he/she is concerned about the condition of your gums/supporting bone, more regular check ups are important as gum disease can progress without the person even knowing it is there. X rays show the extent of bone loss due to gum disease.

If bite analysis is necessary, this is usually due to grinding/bruxism or parafunctional occlusal issues and will form a base line record for future reference. Grinding may explain why multiple fillings need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭SM35

It sounds to me that you do not fully understand what has been diagnosed and your options for management of same.
    I would ask for a full explanation of what is going on, or else get a second opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Like all issues I would say this comes down to poor communication. Ask the dentist to explain in simple terms whats going on and how the course of treatment is benefiting you. If you still feel that you are not getting value ,move on.

Get a written treatment plan and estimate before undertaking any extensive course of treatment. This is unnecessary for a checkup or simple filling.

I would often reccomend tight 3 to 6 month recall for patient with high decay rates or gum disease. After some time of stability and good home care I usually lengthen the recall schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Needtoask

davo10 wrote: »
    Did the X-rays show cavities? If they did then do you not think it is in your interest to have your teeth checked regularly? Someone who has good teeth may only need a check up once a year. Also, if he/she is concerned about the condition of your gums/supporting bone, more regular check ups are important as gum disease can progress without the person even knowing it is there. X rays show the extent of bone loss due to gum disease.

If bite analysis is necessary, this is usually due to grinding/bruxism or parafunctional occlusal issues and will form a base line record for future reference. Grinding may explain why multiple fillings need to be replaced.

I've had a few wax bites done €100 each time. I haven't noticed any cavities on the X-rays but I could be look at anything to be honest they don't make much sense to me.
    What I'm concerned about is the amount of lab work that the dentist has sent off and charged me for but yet when I asked to see the results from the lab they could not show me them

SM35 wrote: »
    It sounds to me that you do not fully understand what has been diagnosed and your options for management of same.
    I would ask for a full explanation of what is going on, or else get a second opinion.

It's the lab work fees I'm more concerned about and the lack of seeing the results

• Advertisement

SM35 wrote: »

It's the lab work fees I'm more concerned about and the lack of seeing the results

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

You say you've been attending this dentist for years, & it's only in the last few months that the wax bites/lab work has been occurring?
    It's clear that there's been a serious breakdown in communication some where along the line. Either things haven't been explained, or explanations haven't been listened to, or a combination of both.
    You've tried to broach your concerns verbally, to no avail. So I'd advise writing to your dentist, & saying something along the lines of "I'm a longterm patient of the practice& would like to continue being so. However, recently I've had some work done& I'm confused as to why it was needed, & also to what benefit or result. Specifically- X, y,z (detail dates & associated costs). I would appreciate if you could clarify the situation at your earliest convenience. Kind regards"
    You can decide how you feel after getting a reply.
    No point in attending for further treatment in the meantime until you're both of the same mindset.

Advertisement