Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Roots Festival 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

From 2019 EP review. :)

" Body&Soul beckoned, so we made straight for the staff short cuts straight into the Body&Soul area. It was straight up to the Haunt for me and it couldn’t have been more perfect timing, a lone couch beckoned me to sit, I sat down and remained there for the night. Various friends came and joined me from time to time, the lovely Clidna, John Dooley and random characters, Kenno, a grey haired and bearded hippy fellow from Dublin who played his bones and clapped to the music. I remember Kenno playing the bones to Paddy Keenan’s gig at the Body&Soul main stage at Body&Soul festival a few years back. When the music turned Irish trad for while at the Haunt I couldn’t resist taking out my bodhran out and playing along and tonight I recognised some of the DJ selections. "

Some of the selections played that night.

" Kevin and Clídna headed off to see The Streets at one point and then to see King Kong Company at the Body&Soul main stage, but I was fairly content where I was and when they DJ switched to the Irish traditional for a while he played this little gem featuring one of my hero’s Johnny ‘Ringo’ McDonagh from Galway city on the bodhran and I played happily along. "

20190901_224929.jpg?w=525

" Alas I fell asleep there and was woke up by security at 4.30 AM and kicked out of the Haunt. "

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Terrific stuff @bodhrandude! Thanks for that. Makes me pine for a festival. Wouldn’t it be nice if we where given the official thumbs up and then we could actually allow ourselves to plan and look forward to it.

I wonder what this means…

Just found out that a good festival buddy is running the advance festival build crew for this, so I'm in to work the advance crew for this the week before the festival, ya fecking dancer. :)

Just found out that a good festival buddy is running the advance festival build crew for this, so I'm in to work the advance crew for this the week before the festival, ya fecking dancer. :)

That’s cool! You might get the inside track for us so! Unfortunately they’ve ceased communicating with me on IG now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

With news on EP now looking pretty good, I'm wondering if this will end up being a bit of a teenie bopper fest? I'm still going, I need cans in a field ASAP but wonder if there will be a quiet, or "ECO" campsite?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭endainoz

Not to put a dampener on things, but nothing is confirmed yet. Wild Roots are pushing ahead alright, but the lack of proper social media interaction after being so great to get back to people previously. I am hopeful of course, but the government still needs to give to ok for these events.

RINO87 wrote: »
    With news on EP now looking pretty good, I'm wondering if this will end up being a bit of a teenie bopper fest? I'm still going, I need cans in a field ASAP but wonder if there will be a quiet, or "ECO" campsite?!

I doubt it with the line up, hopefully the teens will just wait for EP.

endainoz wrote: »
    Not to put a dampener on things, but nothing is confirmed yet. Wild Roots are pushing ahead alright, but the lack of proper social media interaction after being so great to get back to people previously. I am hopeful of course, but the government still needs to give to ok for these events.

I’m still hoping for ATN too but not a chance of that happening I’d say. Half the fun is looking forward to these things which is impossible with the lack of clarity or announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I’m still hoping for ATN too but not a chance of that happening I’d say. Half the fun is looking forward to these things which is impossible with the lack of clarity or announcements.
    Body & Soul cancelled. FB quote below. ATN nothing yet, but maybe they will postpone?

Reflecting on a solstice weekend that could have been, the celebrations not far in our future and a decade of days spent in Ballinlough with you!

While it tugs at our heartstrings to miss out on another year of Body&Soul, we expect our patience will be rewarded with a reunion for the ages in 2022.

From the tops and bottoms of all of our hearts, thank you to everyone who attended, contributed, shaped, danced and laughed at Body & Soul throughout the years.

You’re the reason why we’ll raise our glasses this weekend, and the reason why we’ll return to Body&Soul to do it all over again.

Until we meet again, raise your flag!

• Advertisement

Looking at their poster I assume there's another top biller or headliner to be added. James Morrison, Kaiser Chiefs, ? Do we still have to get a Sunday headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Can anybody see this going ahead?

GiftofGab wrote: »

I think they are holding out till they see the decision between talks with Festival Republic and government officials at the end of June about the Picnic. If the Picnic calls it off, Wild Roots might follow suit, but hopefully one fecking festival this year will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Nugget89

Still haven't lost hope on it happening. I'm going through the lineup now to find some bands to go see, because there's so much I'm not familiar with. I'm liking Alexis Kings.

I’m sure there will be a bit of an uptake today in ticket sales after ATN announcement. That was a blow to my mood I must say, obviously it was expected but when it’s official it’s hard not to be a bit down. Anyway that’s why I got WR tickets a long time ago just as a back up…still hopeful but this bloody Delta variant can F right off!

That said - for events it’s simple enough imo…fully V’d - in you go, negative PCR - in you go, neither of those then - sorry bud OR…here, let’s do an antigen on you so. Ambitious? Fecking hardly. Too ambitious for this government? Certainly.

GiftofGab wrote: »

Hopefully. Follow them on IG and that certainly makes you think it’ll go ahead. They’ve been building on site now for weeks. They have a really good covid plan, an actual line up and they’ve ran a test event incl antigen testing. So they are doing all they possibly can! Were you an ATN hopeful too?

Things must be looking up as I just received an email from WR about them looking for volunteers to work this festival, so I'll leave the link here in case you are indecisive and tickets sell out, this is another option in. :)https://applications.eventree.co.uk/apply/index/id/3540

All this talk in the media about the government being super cautious, talk of extending the 5th July deadline hopefully this doesn't mean the final nail in the coffin for WR and that it still gets the go ahead.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

All this talk in the media about the government being super cautious, talk of extending the 5th July deadline hopefully this doesn't mean the final nail in the coffin for WR and that it still gets the go ahead.

They might let them be another of the test events with testing etc (which I'm pretty sure they did at their launch event), Plus the fact it will be outdoors could help because it seems NPHET are worried about the Delta variant getting indoors which is where it will cause the most danger.

They might let them be another of the test events with testing etc (which I'm pretty sure they did at their launch event), Plus the fact it will be outdoors could help because it seems NPHET are worried about the Delta variant getting indoors which is where it will cause the most danger.

A socially distanced campsite would be nice all the same! Though obviously not really workable.

• Advertisement

The media are now saying that the grand opening is moving from 19th to 26th July, would WR be still safe to go ahead in mid August if that's the case.

The media are now saying that the grand opening is moving from 19th to 26th July, would WR be still safe to go ahead in mid August if that's the case.

That opening is referring to indoor dining in pubs BD, dosent really apply to festivals as they're mostly outdoors. Now what we do need to know about is some definite news about outdoor gatherings so those rules can be directly applied to festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

No nightclubs or indoor pubs & restaurants open yet and this festival is on in 5 weeks?

Biscuitus wrote: »
    No nightclubs or indoor pubs & restaurants open yet and this festival is on in 5 weeks?

As it stands yes, but an outdoor festival doesn't fall into either of those categories.

I see some discussion in the Covid threads about it being at least another three weeks before vaccination gets through Cohort 4 and 7 and the 60's - 69 age group. Some folk estimated that the opening of restrictions could be put back now till August 16th, so hopefully that doesn't affect Wild Roots.

It definitely could, I have to admit I'm less confident about it these days but i go though pahses.

On the other hand, this is positive news

8,000 fans allowed into Croke Park next Saturday for Leinster hurling semi-finals https://the42.ie/5479843

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

endainoz wrote: »
    On the other hand, this is positive news

8,000 fans allowed into Croke Park next Saturday for Leinster hurling semi-finals https://the42.ie/5479843

8,000 is less than 10% of the capacity of Croke Park, guarantee the Hill won't be open and seats will be sold in groups of 4-6 and with groups kept well apart. This simply won't be possible at an open air camping festival.

Well finally, are we seeing a bit of common sense coming through…

• Advertisement

Well finally, are we seeing a bit of common sense coming through…

I have no problem with it, but I can see plenty of civil liberties lunatics having a major issue with it.

Advertisement