Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

About 10 /15 years ago i got a load of spam post to the extent even the postman started to comment on it. Ine day i decided to reply back to them. Gave my name as podge and rodge with the adrdress ballydung manor dublin 4 and they soon stopped. Its the only way to deal with then.
    My mum used to get the mircosoft/windows calls she would tell them her windows are grand she just washed them and can see out perfectly and they soon stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

L1011 wrote: »
    The poster you're quoting has already said they had their name.

The financial trading scammers have names and partial addresses, from a specific unknown data breach I'd imagine.

I used to get calls from some financial trading boilerhouse in London quite a bit, about once a month or so. They knew my name so it came from some data breach, it might have been the Dropbox one years back as they had my number. For a good few calls I just said Im not interested and can you take me off your list but they never did. After a few months of this instead when they asked my name Id just pretend it was incorrect and say sorry you must have the wrong number., this happened about 3 times till eventually they must have scrubbed my number off their list as the calls stopped.

I think with the financial trading scams if they have your name then refusing to confirm it is a good way to go. These types of scammers dont want to be wasting their own time by calling 'wrong numbers' so by saying it is a wrong number its more likely they will scrub you from their call lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

Amazon delivery scam

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I checked that number on ComReg just to see who is hosting it and it isn’t even assigned to any network. A completely fake number with false caller ID.

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/licensing/numbering/number-assignments-availability/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Hell of a lot of dodgy sms messages in the last few days, including one today referencing a shortened version of my first name which I use from time to time. Number is +353 77 025 9585 which is actually From the country Burundi "+35". Really not sure how they got my first name.

• Advertisement

Burundi is +257

+353 77 is an Irish number, but one that doesn't exist as there is no 077 area, it was merged a decade or so ago.

These are all fake caller IDs

I would suggest not posting them as there's a possibility someone's legitimate number may be used by these fraudsters and they'll have nothing to do with the scam. It's just someone's setting their outbound caller ID.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no and could not be any country code +35; the numbering system has to be unique from the top.

Google gave you a list where Burundi was in row 35 instead - its what it inaccurately gives when looking for the non-existent +35 code.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Hell of a lot of dodgy sms messages in the last few days, including one today referencing a shortened version of my first name which I use from time to time. Number is +353 77 025 9585 which is actually From the country Burundi "+35". Really not sure how they got my first name.

Facebook leak a few years back? Names, numbers and email addresses were stolen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Between the Facebook leak, Apache leak and Fastway leak I'd say the majority of people who use the internet in Ireland now have their name, email and phone number out there; possibly with address and current/former job title too.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

I received my first one a few days ago and their spiel was that I had been signed up for a premium service for 79.99 per month. Press 1 to talk to an operator to cancel this. I contacted the phone company who confirmed I hadn't been signed up for any premium service. So keep an ear out for that one. Got another one today and let it go to voicemail. Got a message stating something about illegal activity and, again, press 1. The voicemail service said the mesage came from a number that was the same as my own, with the last 3 digits replaced by "000".

The incoming calls also seem like they come from 083, so I guess their robocaller , as its ploughing through all possible numbers, chooses your prefix as a spoof number so it looks legit in whatever country they are calling. I

• Advertisement

Please be careful about posting numbers - I had someone earlier on calling me saying they'd received a spam call from my phone number.

You could be posting a real phone number that has nothing to do with these scammers. They're using any valid Irish number as their outbound caller ID.

The person who called me had a number very similar to like. So I think they're calling say 08X 2xx 1234 and setting their caller ID to say 08X 2xx 1200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Who knows where they got info from, there is too many places we leave our details and there is very few companies which were not hacked yet :)

I am getting calls from UK mostly some financial investment company. Nice female voice she try to look very friendly and no matter how many times you say that you are not interested they will call again. I used to block numbers right after I got call but that is pointless exercise as I had over 30 blocked yet still new number but the same person called.
    You need to be persistent and either not answer or decline any offer. It is annoying but from 2-3 calls a day it went down to 2-3 a week and now like once a month.
    I sometimes play with them. Like starting to talk about unrelated stuff, asking them questions about whatever topic is on newspapers - mostly covid these days.
    I once had her on a phone for over an hour. Well, I wasted their time as I was just having fun and probably saved some another poor sod from getting calls from them.
    Ridiculous offers like you can quit your job if you invest just 200 euro you will be getting returns of 200 a week and such. I asked her how come she is still wasting her time calling people why she do not put in her paycheck...

Kids started getting calls from irish mobile numbers and just this morning I got 2 calls from 086 367 XXXX (Xpart was always different).
    Prerecorded message that Garda is investigating criminal activity connected to my PPS number and to press 1 for more info.
    It is a scam but I am thinking to press that 1 and have a fun with whoever is on the other end.

Irish mobile numbers are issued in fairly tightly defined blocks so its fairly easy for scammers to just generate numbers and they probably exist. If you add in some knowledge of the blocks more commonly used by each network its even easier. Thats where the PPS/Garda/Revenue scams are coming from normally.

The financial stuff who have your name are using leaks.
    tphase wrote: »
    don't forget to finish the call with a loud blast from a whistle....

Does absolutely nothing. Frequency won't even be picked up by your phones mic let alone survive the data compression.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    It is a scam but I am thinking to press that 1 and have a fun with whoever is on the other end.

I did this and I didn't even get to 4 minutes before the guy hung up on me. No staying power, those scammers. That was my one and only call from "the department of social protection". I do wonder if I was blacklisted.

A loud blast of a whistle is more likely to damage your ears.
    Just don't engage with them at all and hang up.

I'm letting weird numbers go to voicemail. If someone wants me they'll leave a message / text me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I did this and I didn't even get to 4 minutes before the guy hung up on me. No staying power, those scammers. That was my one and only call from "the department of social protection". I do wonder if I was blacklisted.

Go on, what did you say??...

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got several calls today from several mobile numbers very similar to my own. I.e only the last three digits were different. I ignored a few as I don't answer calls from unknown numbers generally, but when I did answer a couple of them, they just hung up.
    I tried ringing their voice mail directly to see if I could hear a leave voice message but neither set up.

Go on, what did you say??...

They said my PPS number was being used for money laundering and drug trafficking, and I told them I knew that, because that was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

There is supposed to be a scam going around from an 087 number. It has only 6 digits instead of the normal 7 after the 087.
    I have been told, if you even answer this number money is taken from your account.

That isn't possible - the taking money that is.

As goes the displayed number - they mean nothing, its entirely fakable, can be any length at all.

• Advertisement

Reverse charge / collect call scams are common in the USA. Incoming calls here can't incur a charge.

Only risk around that is if you call a number back and get charged at a high per min rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Cool.
    I answered that call too as I was getting call every few minutes.
    It was the same - department of social protection. So here it go, I press one and very firm authoritative sounding male voice said:
    "Thank you for calling department of social protection, how may I help you?"
    to which I said "I did not call you, you did. Who are you?"
    A heavy breathing on the other end for like 4-5 seconds and then I went on:
    Listen, do you seriously think I'll believe you that anyone from department of social protection will be calling people at 6pm Friday evening? Who the f**k are you?
    (aaaaand its gone) line went quiet. It probably worked as no more social protection or gardai are calling me from cell phone number nearly identical to mine since then.
    On a side note and without intent of insulting anyone my "department of social protection" caller had heavy indian accent and from a noise in background it was call centre, quite a few voices and noises in background.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

patnor1011 wrote: »
    On a side note and without intent of insulting anyone my "department of social protection" caller had heavy indian accent and from a noise in background it was call centre, quite a few voices and noises in background.

Nearly every one of these phone scams are based in India - Jim Browning does some great videos of them on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I got several calls today from several mobile numbers very similar to my own. I.e only the last three digits were different. I ignored a few as I don't answer calls from unknown numbers generally, but when I did answer a couple of them, they just hung up.
    I tried ringing their voice mail directly to see if I could hear a leave voice message but neither set up.

I received at least 6 of those yesterday. All beginning with the same first 6 digits as my number. I answered the first one which was some sort of recording so I hung up and didn't answer the rest of them

fritzelly wrote: »
    Nearly every one of these phone scams are based in India - Jim Browning does some great videos of them on Youtube

Kitboga is my favourite scambaiter! He doesn't pwn them the way that Peirogi or Jim Browning do, but the entertainment factor is brilliant. That's pretty much how I knew the scammer's script better than he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭paul71

DPS or Gardai call its an easy fix.

You: Is this an official call
    Them: Yes
    You: Is fearr liom Gaeilge a labhairt le do thoil

End of conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

paul71 wrote: »
    DPS or Gardai call its an easy fix.

You: Is this an official call
    Them: Yes
    You: Is fearr liom Gaeilge a labhairt le do thoil

End of conversation

That would be the identical conversation if it was a genuine call too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

jos28 wrote: »
    I received at least 6 of those yesterday. All beginning with the same first 6 digits as my number. I answered the first one which was some sort of recording so I hung up and didn't answer the rest of them

3 of these for me last Wednesday, and one each Thursday and Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Just got a call from an 087 number. Got an automated recording. "This is the Department of Social Protection" blah blah blah. "Your PPS number is being used for illegal transactions" blah blah blah. "If you dont address the issue immediately, your PPS will be blocked" blah blah blah. I hung up then. Since when would the Department of Social Protection call you on a mobile number??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Duzzie wrote: »
    Just got a call from an 087 number. Got an automated recording. "This is the Department of Social Protection" blah blah blah. "Your PPS number is being used for illegal transactions" blah blah blah. "If you dont address the issue immediately, your PPS will be blocked" blah blah blah. I hung up then. Since when would the Department of Social Protection call you on a mobile number??

What would blocking a pps do? Idiots.

Advertisement