Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    Read every post under the video of that clown. You are spending a lot of energy on here making the same arguments. Text a friend or something with at least half as much text, there's an amazing world (and universe) out there we know so little about. Let's be open minded.

Still more insults and still not answering the questions I have asked you? As I said - you got nothing.

You personally dislike the guy. Nothing wrong with that at all. But that says nothing about him - only about you. Nothing he said was nonsense - and none of the personal insults you fling at him hold water.

I am all for open mindedness and wonder at the unknowns of the universe. But that is not the same thing as pretending someone is talking "nonsense" when you can not show anything they said was nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Sky News UFO Report - audio 24 mins .....

Fascinating discussion about the upcoming UAP (UFO) report and all goes well right up until 14m 10s, then it goes off course :cool:

Audio link ...
    https://news.sky.com/story/ufo-report-are-we-alone-12334045

Bad Robot to explore the UFO mystery ...

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/ufo-jj-abrams-showtime-bad-robot-1234998522/

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Saw something mildly interesting in the sky last night that I may as well share here. My family were staying in a cottage in west Clare for the week. I was outside having a smoke when i spotted something to the west. A bright light, similar to a star but larger. It was getting quite dark at this stage but there was a bit of light left to the west. So this was visible against the last light of dusk if you know what I mean. The cottage is approx 1km from the coast and I would estimate this object was at least 10km away so well out over the water.

The light was shimmering white. It caught my attention because of how bright it was but also because I had a visual reference to it's movement in the form of a telephone pole. When I began observing it it was in line with the wire on the top of the pole. It was moving slowly straight down. No lateral movement. I called my family out to see it and we watched it descend slowly before disappearing below the horizon. From when I first noticed it to it disappearing took about 4 or 5 minutes.

There is a view of the Atlantic from the house, but the direction we were observing this light in has a small hill blocking the view of the sea. So when I say it disappeared below the horizon it wasn't the sea horizon, just below the hill in the distance.

Never seen anything like it before, nor had any of my family. Now, I'm a pilot, so I know an aircraft when I see one. This had no beacon or navigation lights that I could see. It wasn't moving laterally nor was it getting any closer to or further away from our position. The only thing that may explain it would be a helicopter at sea, with it's landing lights on, pointing in our direction continuously while performing a very slowly descending hover.

We considered chinese lanterns but not only would they have a more orange light that wouldn't be as bright, they would be drifting laterally in the wind. Likewise for a weather balloon.

The only other thing then would be a star. This is the most obvious answer but I've never seen a star this big and bright against a sky with some light left in it. Then there's the speed at which it moved, which was slow but noticeable and faster than I would associate with celestial movement. Finally, against the reference of the telephone pole it moved vertically, no lateral movement at all, which is not how celestial objects are observed.

So that's it, will probably never know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭flanna01

Saw something mildly interesting in the sky last night that I may as well share here. My family were staying in a cottage in west Clare for the week. I was outside having a smoke when i spotted something to the west. A bright light, similar to a star but larger. It was getting quite dark at this stage but there was a bit of light left to the west. So this was visible against the last light of dusk if you know what I mean. The cottage is approx 1km from the coast and I would estimate this object was at least 10km away so well out over the water.

The light was shimmering white. It caught my attention because of how bright it was but also because I had a visual reference to it's movement in the form of a telephone pole. When I began observing it it was in line with the wire on the top of the pole. It was moving slowly straight down. No lateral movement. I called my family out to see it and we watched it descend slowly before disappearing below the horizon. From when I first noticed it to it disappearing took about 4 or 5 minutes.

There is a view of the Atlantic from the house, but the direction we were observing this light in has a small hill blocking the view of the sea. So when I say it disappeared below the horizon it wasn't the sea horizon, just below the hill in the distance.

Never seen anything like it before, nor had any of my family. Now, I'm a pilot, so I know an aircraft when I see one. This had no beacon or navigation lights that I could see. It wasn't moving laterally nor was it getting any closer to or further away from our position. The only thing that may explain it would be a helicopter at sea, with it's landing lights on, pointing in our direction continuously while performing a very slowly descending hover.

We considered chinese lanterns but not only would they have a more orange light that wouldn't be as bright, they would be drifting laterally in the wind. Likewise for a weather balloon.

The only other thing then would be a star. This is the most obvious answer but I've never seen a star this big and bright against a sky with some light left in it. Then there's the speed at which it moved, which was slow but noticeable and faster than I would associate with celestial movement. Finally, against the reference of the telephone pole it moved vertically, no lateral movement at all, which is not how celestial objects are observed.

Did none of ye have a phone to video it???

• Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

I'd be 100% certain that what you saw was the planet Venus. It is currently due west in the evening at sundown and sets about an hour after sundown. It's so bright you can actually see it before sunset if you know where to look.

Can't wait for next Friday/Saturday morning when the report finally lands on the desk and in people's heads, just to see expressions going from a gentle smile with a wink, to a serious look of recognition that UAPs are real (even if we don't know what they are). I fully expect Sky News BBC CNN CNBC, RT etc to have wall to wall coverage all day Saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

flanna01 wrote: »
    Did none of ye have a phone to video it???

You know yourself that a distant light in the night sky is not worth trying to capture with a smart phone camera. My nephew grabbed a DSLR and snapped some photos of it but I haven't seen them yet.
    willier wrote: »
    I'd be 100% certain that what you saw was the planet Venus. It is currently due west in the evening at sundown and sets about an hour after sundown. It's so bright you can actually see it before sunset if you know where to look.

I think you're probably right, the only thing that I can't figure out is why there appeared to be no lateral movement. It went straight down. Also it moved a significant distance in the sky in a pretty short time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Can't wait for next Friday/Saturday morning when the report finally lands on the desk and in people's heads, just to see expressions going from a gentle smile with a wink, to a serious look of recognition that UAPs are real (even if we don't know what they are). I fully expect Sky News BBC CNN CNBC, RT etc to have wall to wall coverage all day Saturday!

I’m not really expecting much at all to be honest. They are hardly going to say ‘ Ok, we have advanced beings visiting Earth from Zeta Reticuli'. I’d say it will probably be along the lines of what Obama said to James Corden recently. That the military have tracked/witnessed objects in the sky that they cannot explain.

And you can be sure that next Sunday week the vast majority of people will still laugh at the subject.

• Advertisement

I’m not really expecting much at all to be honest. They are hardly going to say ‘ Ok, we have advanced beings visiting Earth from Zeta Reticuli'. I’d say it will probably be along the lines of what Obama said to James Corden recently. That the military have tracked/witnessed objects in the sky that they cannot explain.

And you can be sure that next Sunday week the vast majority of people will still laugh at the subject.

Same, I can't see any dramatic change in coverage although it has been good to see serious coverage of it recently. I doubt there will be any new evidence released in it. I know they say that radar is solid evidence but the vast majority of people will need to see a high quality video showing some of the 'five observables' Elizondo talks about. I bet they have a treasure trove of it but for one reason or another will not release it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Elessar

Former Israeli space security chief says extraterrestrials exist
    A former Israeli space security chief has sent eyebrows shooting heavenward by saying that earthlings have been in contact with extraterrestrials from a "galactic federation."

"The Unidentified Flying Objects have asked not to publish that they are here, humanity is not ready yet," Haim Eshed, former head of Israel's Defense Ministry's space directorate, told Israel's Yediot Aharonot newspaper. The interview in Hebrew ran on Friday, and gained traction after parts were published in English by the Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.

A respected professor and retired general, Eshed said the aliens were equally curious about humanity and were seeking to understand "the fabric of the universe."

"There is an agreement between the U.S. government and the aliens. They signed a contract with us to do experiments here," he said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-news/former-israeli-space-security-chief-says-extraterrestrials-exist-trump-knows-n1250333

I mean, sure it's a bit of a stretch. But if flying discs that can manipulate gravity are flying actually around here, is it really too crazy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they're dragging their heels on this "announcement" aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

I'm surprised that this isn't getting more traction in the press than it is,considering how important it could be. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe the fact that people aren't suddenly rushing out to stock up on bog roll and Brennans means that they might be more open in the future to disclose unexplainable sightings.

It would be great if someone was asked to give a % figure on the possibility of the sightings being the result of non-earth technology and they give a figure greater than 50%. Then the media could run with words like "probably". But I do agree that the line will probably be " we are looking at at all possible scenarios".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

When the report drops RTE will probably mention it, but there isn't going to be any real information in it that we don't already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Panrich

If there was anything in the reports that was evidence of alien origin, it would render the work of SETI as redundant. I don’t think that there would be any more telescope time wasted on searching for minute signals galaxies away if they’re already on our doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fortunately what the vast majority of people laugh at isn't a metric of scientific merit. If that would be the case then evolution, human powered flight, genetics and quantum electrodynamics would have been left unstudied.

People who laugh at scientific mysteries are idiots who should be treated with disdain lest they hold back science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

fryup wrote: »

I’m already resigned to the disappointment that it will be a boring jargon heavy “red tape” type of government report with very little in it

Maybe something like “unexplained UAPs are in US airspace, we will monitor”

I very much doubt specifics will be given.

It’ll all be “yesterday’s fish and chip paper” in a few weeks time I suspect

Hoping I’ll be proven wrong and they will lay out CLEAR and sharp photos and videos ....

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭flanna01

spegnor87 wrote: »
    Talk on the grapevine is that the report will disclose more details on the Galatic Federation leaked by the Israelis. There's rumours that the extraterrestrials are believers in a universal Islam which would be another paradigm shift in itself.

Trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I doubt rte will even report on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

plus they can ask for an extension as well so it doesnt have to come out this month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Again another fantastic image ......NOT

We all have phones that can take images at least 100 hundred times better than any images or videos released to date,

Always some kindo f excuse why there is no clear images ,

I really don't get how people believe this stuff in this day and age ,

^^^^^^^^^^^

well in fairness that was from a live webcam feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,437 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's funny how so many americans will use terms like '' thoughts and prayers'' God bless America'' .. but at no point has anyone suggested that these UAPs are heavenly bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

I believe in drones

Flying saucers only when I'm having a row with the wife

It's funny how so many americans will use terms like '' thoughts and prayers'' God bless America'' .. but at no point has anyone suggested that these UAPs are heavenly bodies.

Good point, for they have no idea what the phenomon is, and neither will they in three days time when (in theory) the report will be released?

Expectations are that it will concentrate on approx 120 unexplained sightings sifted out from thousands of "unexplained" sightings over the last twenty years. The data will include professional witnesses, radar data, photos & video. The purpose of this exercise is to bring all the data into the public domain, then you can make up your own mind what it means.

There will however be a paradigm shift in the way UFOs (now UAPs) are looked upon & delt with going forward, as they move from the world of Sci-fi into the real world where they will be studied by science, which hopefully some day will discover what they are and where they come from.

The report will announce that they are real that they exist, but are not US, Russian or Chinese in origin (technology unknown) which in itself is s pretty big announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

^^^^^^^^^^^

well in fairness that was from a live webcam feed

That's my point there always form something that can't take a good picture,
    Do you not find that a bit strange all the thousand of UFO sightings down the years and every single one bar none are on absolute terrible camera's or infer red or anything that simply does not give you a good imagine ,

If this was a big foot thread everyone would be laughing ,

It's 2021 no good imagine then get the hell out of here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

That's my point there always form something that can't take a good picture,
    Do you not find that a bit strange all the thousand of UFO sightings down the years and every single one bar none are on absolute terrible camera's or infer red or anything that simply does not give you a good imagine ,

If this was a big foot thread everyone would be laughing ,

It's 2021 no good imagine then get the hell out of here :D

Most of these things are moving at a serious speed. Did you ever try and take a picture of the moon with your mobile? The big massive round thing that there most nights, stationary. Have a look. Comes out crap and blurry.

According to Elizondo, the Navy does have perfectly good film that he has seen.

They seem to be made up from light and only light as no structure could withstand the forces of the speeds and maneuvers they make, so must be harnessed controllable light.
    They move like the point of a laser beam, but without the beam, just the dot of light with no source visible

11871142?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

• Advertisement

If you point a laser at a wall, then move it around quickly it's like an UAP in the sky.

We've all seen a cat chase a dot of a laser, same way the fighter jets chase them, must be harnessed controllable light

If you point a laser at a wall, then move it around quickly it's like an UAP in the sky.

We've all seen a cat chase a dot of a laser, same way the fighter jets chase them, must be harnessed controllable light

Must be. That's why three separate radars, FLIR imaging and sonar pick them up.

They are getting picked up by radar though, it can only detect things that have a physical form, so there is some physical object, it’s not just light or some other form of energy.

Very good point ^ and for years I was thinking "ball lightening', a very rare phenomon that almost totally fits the bill, but then you watch Fravor, Dietrich, Underwood & Co describing a real craft of some kind, Tic-Tac in shape, about 30 feet long, which kills the lasar light - ball lightening theory.

Very good point ^ and for years I was thinking "ball lightening', a very rare phenomon that almost totally fits the bill, but then you watch Fravor, Dietrich, Underwood & Co describing a real craft of some kind, Tic-Tac in shape, about 30 feet long, which kills the lasar light - ball lightening theory.

Not ball lightening though. Yes a real, what looks like a craft, but it's makeup is intelligent controlled light, something beyond our understanding.
    It's clearly not fighting the forces of wind when it's moving,so must be purely light.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

Again another fantastic image ......NOT

We all have phones that can take images at least 100 hundred times better than any images or videos released to date,

Always some kindo f excuse why there is no clear images ,

I really don't get how people believe this stuff in this day and age ,

next time a plane flies over your house, do a video on your phone and see how crap the footage is...

For argument's sake, if it is 'aliens' and they have mastered the aul intergalactic travel, detection avoidance and camouflage are probably within their technological capabilities?

Basically, we know advanced aliens are out there, because we can't see them. :D

Not ball lightening though. Yes a real, what looks like a craft, but it's makeup is intelligent controlled light, something beyond our understanding.
    It's clearly not fighting the forces of wind when it's moving,so must be purely light.

Pure light? What wavelength? There's forward looking infra-red videos of these things though.

Also maybe we only catch glimpses of these craft when they are malfunctioning somehow, revealing their location momentarily. Sky could be filled with the yokes right now and us none the wiser :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

For argument's sake, if it is 'aliens' and they have mastered the aul intergalactic travel, detection avoidance and camouflage are probably within their technological capabilities?

Basically, we know advanced aliens are out there, because we can't see them. :D

Don’t forget that ad well as mastering inter galactic travel, they have strobe lights that flash in accordance with the Federal Aviation Authority (like in the so called pyramids video).

• Advertisement

they have strobe lights that flash in accordance with the Federal Aviation Authority

Cunning, aren't they? :pac:

Like I said it's beyond our understanding. What if they can build a craft, not out of aluminum, or steel, but light? That they somehow can harness light energy into a usable craft that they control, not by piloting it, but in the same way that we control unmanned surveillance and reconnaissance aerial vehicles. That they control it from afar.
    Would explain how it traveled here, if it's purely light,if you were standing on a sky scraper with a laser, and pointed it to the east, in a nano second you could turn and point it to the west. That's how this UAPs move, as if light, yes you can move it slowly across the sky like a laser, as 9000 mph, or you can just turn it on a dime and shoot straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Like I said it's beyond our understanding. What if they can build a craft, not out of aluminum, or steel, but light? That they somehow can harness light energy into a usable craft that they control, not by piloting it, but in the same way that we control unmanned surveillance and reconnaissance aerial vehicles. That they control it from afar.
    Would explain how it traveled here, if it's purely light,if you were standing on a sky scraper with a laser, and pointed it to the east, in a nano second you could turn and point it to the west. That's how this UAPs move, as if light, yes you can move it slowly across the sky like a laser, as 9000 mph, or you can just turn it on a dime and shoot straight up.

And the point about it showing up on radar, as mentioned to you by two people now. Light wouldn't be detected on radar, it's radio bounced off a solid object and back again, so it couldn't be "pure light".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Also, what is the fastest speed we know? Light Speed? To them, Light Speed could be 1st gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Imagine if we made definitive contact. Imagine going into work the next day.

Sakana wrote: »

With what’s happened over the last 18 months the whole idea seems a bit more reasonable now.

Sakana wrote: »

GooglePlus wrote: »
    And the point about it showing up on radar, as mentioned to you by two people now. Light wouldn't be detected on radar, it's radio bounced off a solid object and back again, so it couldn't be "pure light".

No , I'm saying it could be pure light made into an object that radar does bounce off off.

Beyond our understanding.

You can't use basic stuff like radar to explain it, radar to them could be cups on a string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

No , I'm saying it could be pure light made into an object that radar does bounce off off.

Beyond our understanding.

You can't use basic stuff like radar to explain it, radar to them could be cups on a string.

Correct, Also, what is the fastest speed we know? Light Speed? To them, Light Speed could be 1st gear.

• Advertisement

Advertisement