Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McAllister's, Lucan

Options
  • 06-08-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Fishmonger in Lucan village closed since late March. Anybody got any news as to whether it will open again or will it be another victim of the pandemic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Kennys had on Facebook earlier that their seafood special today is from McAllisters. Seem to be operating in some form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Kennys had on Facebook earlier that their seafood special today is from McAllisters. Seem to be operating in some form

I’d always assumed they had some form of wholesale business as well as the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

ArthurG wrote: »

I’d always assumed they had some form of wholesale business as well as the shop.

Yeah that probably the case. I hope the shop reopens though. Always had good produce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Walked past it yesterday, unfortunately there was a 'for lease' sign up. That's a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Shame, a lot of the other shops in the village seem to be managing alright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I see the shop has now reopened in the last week as a(nother) hairdresser.
    Regarding the business, the shop was only a small part of it. The larger part of the business was wholesale to hotels and restaurants and once Covid came along, their customer base evaporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We needed another hairdresser's in Lucan village!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heroditas wrote: »
    I see the shop has now reopened in the last week as a(nother) hairdresser.
    Regarding the business, the shop was only a small part of it. The larger part of the business was wholesale to hotels and restaurants and once Covid came along, their customer base evaporated.

Don't think that shop was dealing with the wholesale side of things. The main shop looks after it i thought

Don't think that shop was dealing with the wholesale side of things. The main shop looks after it i thought

Yes but the whole business took such a hit that they couldn't keep the Lucan shop open apparently. There was an article about David on the Leinster Rugby website a while back. Looks like he's gone into coaching rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yes but the whole business took such a hit that they couldn't keep the Lucan shop open apparently. There was an article about David on the Leinster Rugby website a while back. Looks like he's gone into coaching rugby.

Supervalu did alot of harm when they improved their fish setup.
    No need to go to the village for it

• Advertisement

Fintan in Collins Butchers has certainly picked up the baton since McAllisters closed. The selection isn't huge but the quality is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Agree. The quality of the fish Fintan has from Thursdays onwards is top notch. Indeed the quality of all his meat is excellent. Staff are always helpful and the recent introduction of the rotisserie chickens are another string to their bows'

Aaaaaaaand their freshly roasted sliced hams!!!

Advertisement