Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Size advice, please.

Options
  • 13-12-2018 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I've been cycling now for 8 yrs and have owned 4 bikes in that time, all 56cm and all fit pretty good but recently a bike I have wanted has come up for sale and is 58cm.

I'm on the upper limit of 56cm and the lower limit for 58cm bikes.

The Bike is a Felt Z3, I already have a felt F5 and a Felt VR30 (yes I love felt bikes) I have compared the geometry of the three bikes and I think that fitting a 100mm stem on the Z3 (currently has 110mm) will leave it very close in size to the VR30 but I'm not sure its that simple. I'm hoping to view the bike at the weekend but want to know that its not too big for me before hand.

For reference, I'm 182cm with a 84cm inseam.

I have attached a picture of the geometry of the three bikes also. I'm finding the F5 too racy and anything over an hour on it gives me a sore neck hence buying the Z3 with much more relaxed geometry. The VR30 is a perfect fit and extremely comfortable, just a little heavy being alloy/disc bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sorry forgot to add the geometry chart.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So that's 5'11ish in old money? I'm a similar height, and wouldn't be comfortable myself on a 58 looking at the geometry, but we're all different. Felt recommend 56 for 5'11 themselves, or 56/58 for 6ft.

Tough choice, no point in getting a more comfortable frame if it ends up being the wrong size though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I am in no position to advise anyone on the correct size, there are plenty of people on here far more knowledgeable than I on that subject.

But I do have one piece of anecdotal evidence to share - I swapped to a smaller bike. I felt the one I had changed to was tiny - way to small - at first. Once I got used to it I was absolutely astonished at how differently I felt after a ride though. The tiredness and aches after a ride were completely gone, honestly outside of my legs being tired I suddenly felt fine. With a larger bike my shoulders and back were aching and tired by the time I finished and I thought that was perfectly normal, until I got one that fit.

I am sure that is not news to you OP but I just thought I would throw it in here because i imagine there are plenty of others who are similarly thinking that tired and sore arms, shoulders and backs are just a normal part of cycling/descending, and they may see it. When I say I was astonished at the difference that is no exaggeration, I honestly couldn't believe what a difference a better fitting bike meant.

In changing bike I also went from Alu to Carbon, which probably contributed a bit to it, but I am sure it is the size change that really mattered.

Funnily enough in the past I have also considered a smaller 54cm frame Felt Z4 but comparing the figures I would have had the same stack as the 56cm F5 snd the saddle to BB heightwoild have been the same so I figured the same stresses etc would be only bank/neck so left it.

I might go and see the 58cm bike anyway and bring some tools/tape to set it up like my VR30 and see how I get on.

Weepsie wrote: »
    So that's 5'11ish in old money? I'm a similar height, and wouldn't be comfortable myself on a 58 looking at the geometry, but we're all different. Felt recommend 56 for 5'11 themselves, or 56/58 for 6ft.

Tough choice, no point in getting a more comfortable frame if it ends up being the wrong size though.

To be exact I’m 5’11.75” with long legs (33” inseam) which means I need the saddle higher but that then increases the saddle to bars drop which causes the neck pain on longer rides.

As a side note I have an XL/21” 29er and fitted a shorter stem and it’s so comfortable and fits me perfectly but I know MTB’s are a different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'm 188cm and ride a 58cm so can't help but think 58 wouldn't be right for you.

Advertisement