Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you tip your hair stylist?

Options
  • 25-11-2018 3:35pm

Just wondering if people tip their hair stylist/nail technician?

I don’t, not because I’m mean I just have never thought to. My friend does though and it got me thinking. Is it the done thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No i pay enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Depends, sometimes I will. I don’t feel like it’s compulsory and don’t feel bad if I don’t tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Yes always

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No, as said earlier I am paying for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nope. My hairdresser is self-employed so she's getting 100% of the fee as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Always - if I'm happy with the service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Occasionally, but I don't feel obliged to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What’s the rationale for tipping? Do you tip your postman, your shop assistant, or your bus driver? What about your GP - they could literally be the person who saves your life in some cases? I can’t stand tipping culture because it’s completely pointless and arbitrary about who gets tipped and who doesn’t.

So, no, I don’t :)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Yeah I give 10%. She spends far longer on my hair than others do and doesn't stop til I'm 100% happy with it. And I can be quite fussy about it. And she's fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Yes I always do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I tip the washer , not the stylist. It’s usually some student, apprentice, not getting paid.

And yes, I give the gp and postman (both women here) a voucher at Christmas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Nope. My hairdresser is self-employed so she's getting 100% of the fee as it is.

Self-employed people pay tax, insurance as well as overheads for their business, cost of equipment & materials. If she has employees she has to pay their wages, holiday pay, etc.
    If she is earning over a certain amount, she’ll also have to pay VAT (at 25%).
    She also doesn’t get her own holiday pay (basically if she doesn’t work, she doesn’t get paid).

So in fact that 100% is actually really only about 50% (or less) after everything is paid for.
    Of course it’s your prerogative if you might want to tip or not but maybe rethink that 100% that you think she’s rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Self-employed people pay tax, insurance as well as overheads for their business, cost of equipment & materials. If she has employees she has to pay their wages, holiday pay, etc.
    If she is earning over a certain amount, she’ll also have to pay VAT (at 25%).
    She also doesn’t get her own holiday pay (basically if she doesn’t work, she doesn’t get paid).

So in fact that 100% is actually really only about 50% (or less) after everything is paid for.
    Of course it’s your prerogative if you might want to tip or not but maybe rethink that 100% that you think she’s rolling in.

I'm aware of the realities of being self-employed, thanks. She doesn't have any employees, works from home and I'm assuming is a savvy-enough businesswoman to have priced the cost of doing business into her charges.

Advertisement