Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

The article is more about the jobs economy in Sligo and other big towns around Ireland.

For example say 50 people qualify from Sligo IT with a degree in Software Development - if those 50 people want to remain in Sligo it's very unlikely they'll all get jobs to use with their qualifications so they can either settle for a job they can find in Sligo (not specifically a job they want or spent 4 years in college aiming for) or they can look to Dublin. The problem in Dublin is accommodation and the cost of living is at ridiculous levels. As a consequence the person has to commute to the job in Dublin.

This is why a lot of towns are dying their feet - not enough jobs to keep young people there. There's no reason why big towns like Sligo can't get hundreds of knowledge based economy jobs but instead the jobs keep going to Dublin.
    I know there's been job announcements for Sligo but they need more and more jobs. I mentioned it a page or two back - people should be asking their local TDs the next time they come around looking for votes, what are they doing to get jobs into Sligo to keep young people there, interesting stat mentioned in the article:

Sligo has the lowest rate of employment growth in the country, rising by just 2.2 per cent between 2011 and 2016 – the national average is 11 per cent.

I know loads of people from Sligo who've got jobs in Dublin, now live an hour commute from Dublin - they'd love to move home but the jobs there qualified in are not there.
    Plenty of others living in Sligo and commuting to jobs in Mayo, Galway and Longford.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The North West needs a revival in terms of knowledge based jobs. I don't see why Sligo isn't seen as a suitable location for Science and Engineering companies to locate to. I'd love nothing more than to live and work in Sligo as that's where the wife is from.

I do suppose that the M4 could be extended to Sligo or at least a much better road that bypasses smaller towns and villages such as Carrick On Shannon and Edgesworthstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    The North West needs a revival in terms of knowledge based jobs. I don't see why Sligo isn't seen as a suitable location for Science and Engineering companies to locate to. I'd love nothing more than to live and work in Sligo as that's where the wife is from.

I do suppose that the M4 could be extended to Sligo or at least a much better road that bypasses smaller towns and villages such as Carrick On Shannon and Edgesworthstown.

would love to see the M4 extended myself - as far as I know collooney to boyle is being straightened out at thats about as best we are going to get any time 'soon' - I havent heard that CoS and Edgesworthstown will be getting bypassed but I like you think that should be a priority - in some respects more of a prioroty that the straightening/new carriageway between Collooney and boyle personally if it was either or

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

L.Jenkins wrote: »

I would think that there is a bias towards Science and Engineering jobs in Sligo and we probably need to diversify into Fintech.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

would love to see the M4 extended myself - as far as I know collooney to boyle is being straightened out at thats about as best we are going to get any time 'soon' - I havent heard that CoS and Edgesworthstown will be getting bypassed but I like you think that should be a priority - in some respects more of a prioroty that the straightening/new carriageway between Collooney and boyle personally if it was either or

Well the road from Mullingar to Castlebaldwin is fairly decent. My only issue would be traffic coming through towns and villages. The road between Colloney does need some form of updated carriage way. Leitrim even has a dual carriageway in parts.

What I'd also love to see is a better road from Roscommon to Boyle. At one stage, the trip from Athlone was far worse before they straightened a few sharp turns which were lethal during the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Mazda dealership returning to Sligo. Martin Reilly Motors are taking it on. (didn't want to post it in 'Stores opening' thread as it's been open for years)

O'Connell Street closed today - another fire , this time in the Indulge restaurant on the street - more details here:

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/09/30/oconnell-street-in-sligo-town-closed-this-afternoon-due-to-a-fire/

from OceanFM:
    There has been an accident at Duck Street in Sligo. As you turn down for IT Sligo. Manorhamilton/Enniskillen turn off. Emergency Services on the scene. Diversions in place.

https://www.facebook.com/oceanfmireland/posts/2139008366111826?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCVdLqWwdHOriBoqz-lHnOoIJdVG_qTHNZRISm9DbzYQLPuCvl-lAz2e9BQbzcwgAiqhJgdXJSwj21ZcrsL_CNdR-WmSyCzNpcay32-BVQJU3nDy17W7s_ajWHWnkVICZokcdzKnNrfnyVkiAX27460rJilioHdjdOqKKA8WgzKZDpz4-9zwg&__tn__=-R

42892593_2139011102778219_7692490223334195200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=6acae76d11524ebbaf28f15c8bbf0a4a&oe=5C546157

42922933_2139005949445401_9217062699832180736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&oh=5b2de5157917b7512f0621683ecf8fd9&oe=5C62A058

42925549_2139006056112057_7877870409217998848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=126325ec88290153a45633293eb52581&oe=5C1DFD23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thought I would pop into the new Lidl store this afternoon. Kept going when I seen the traffic backed from the carport to the relief road!

Maybe next week when the hype has died down slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The old Lidl was a pleasure today. It was like a ghost town

• Advertisement

they have to do something with access / traffic management down there now - and those traffic lights at Duncans Island/bundoran road are on green for far too short too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

More jobs being announced today (non-high tech.) The good news continues, long may it do so.
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/10/18/minister-says-sligo-jobs-announcement-will-help-to-balance-regional-development/

this is a video from user @CantParkWontParkSligo on facebook.

I realise the car that was driving the wrong way may have not been concentrating to see the large NO ENTRY marking on the road and the signs - but push that to one side - how do you feel about the one way system in Sligo? is it confusing or could it be better laid out?

https://www.facebook.com/1808865862722736/posts/2325909387685045/

I'm gone so used to it I don't notice anymore. But I'd hate to be trying to get from, say, Dunnes Stores to the hospital in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I realise the car that was driving the wrong way may have not been concentrating to see the large NO ENTRY marking on the road and the signs - but push that to one side - how do you feel about the one way system in Sligo? is it confusing or could it be better laid out?
    I can see his easily this could happen but looking at the video I feel a bit like this individual was chancing their arm....

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I can see his easily this could happen but looking at the video I feel a bit like this individual was chancing their arm....

I dunno, I am trying to make my mind up between maybe visitor to the town and unfamiliar with the road layout or tourist from another country in a hire car or sat nav leading them down this road , of just generally not paying attention

I'd give a flustered visitor the benefit of the doubt there but the amount of locals going across from Abbey St to Castle St is ridiculous. A Garda ANPR camera there would solve the problem in a week.

this is a video from user @CantParkWontParkSligo on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/1808865862722736/posts/2325909387685045/

No, I think its more an issue of people failing to read road signs, chancing their arm, or ignornace. Only the odd tourist would I give benifit of the doubt to.

Every single morning I see people going straight on from Abbey Street, onto Castle Street, even heard a Guard say to a driver, 'you are from the town, you shoud know!'

The Alleyway between John Street and Wine Street/Tesco Carpark is another example. At least 4 signs, between road markings, and physical signs, saying No Right Turn, No Entry, and people still try and come down. Met one car one day, granted they did reverse back out onto John Street when they met me, but what did they do, try and go straight back down when I exited.

sligoblue wrote: »
    I heard the Eddie Rockets type restaurant where xtravision used to be is opening next week.
    With all the café, restaurants, takeaways etc I recon operation transformation might be doing the next full series just in Sligo. Still though, good to have somewhere to go for dinner after you've a had a coffee in town.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

With all the café, restaurants, takeaways etc I recon operation transformation might be doing the next full series just in Sligo. Still though, good to have somewhere to go for dinner after you've a had a coffee in town.... :rolleyes:

i'd just like to know where all these establishments get all this footfall - me personally I only go out for a meal once in a blue moon because of money constraints . Its nice but when you have eaten it or drunk it ... thats it, its gone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeah, you're totally right. Lets leave these units idle and have less jobs in the locality. Much better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

A business opens in a previous empty commercial premises, provides employment to locals, variety to customers and competition to existing restaurants. Maybe that is a bad thing, or if I don't understand this, I could be crass and stupid.

Good to see people trying anyway. If it's good it should do well and if it's not it won't.

it be nice for a better selection of businesses though - at one time I remember saying that Sligo would be known for a plethora of Shoe shops in the town centre at one time. The joke used to be "oh no, not another shoe shop!" - and now these days its "Oh no, not another Cafe ! (or eating establishment)" why can there be no imagination .. I dont like to see empty units either but i do like to see a good selection of retail type shops for a town centre. - cafe's are lovely but they really dont entice me to go into town because there are cafe's there I like more retail places you can actually buy products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

it be nice for a better selection of businesses though - at one time I remember saying that Sligo would be known for a plethora of Shoe shops in the town centre at one time. The joke used to be "oh no, not another shoe shop!" - and now these days its "Oh no, not another Cafe ! (or eating establishment)" why can there be no imagination .. I dont like to see empty units either but i do like to see a good selection of retail type shops for a town centre. - cafe's are lovely but they really dont entice me to go into town because there are cafe's there I like more retail places you can actually buy products

I suspect the reason why cafes open and retail shops close is that it's difficult to buy a hot cup of coffee online and have it delivered when you want it. Retail shops are closing everywhere, and it's unlikely they will ever exist on high streets in such numbers again. Every town you go to now has lots of cafes,vaping shops, Dealz because they provide items that are perishable, convenient, often bought on the spur of moment and are not worth ordering on line (I don't know anything about the cost of vaping, but I assume when they run out, the person using them will want another one the same day).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Changing habits as well. People are no longer heading out getting sh!tfaced as much as they did in my day (20 years ago) they are more health conscious. I was walking round the town at 6pm one Wednesday recently and I couldn't belive how busy the restaurants were along the river.

Eala Ban, Rugantino, Fabbrica, Fiddlers, Hooked, the Bistro, while none were packed all of them had half decent crowds for an off peak time. It was a pleasant surprise.

sligoblue wrote: »
    I suspect the reason why cafes open and retail shops close is that it's difficult to buy a hot cup of coffee online and have it delivered when you want it. Retail shops are closing everywhere, and it's unlikely they will ever exist on high streets in such numbers again. Every town you go to now has lots of cafes,vaping shops, Dealz because they provide items that are perishable, convenient, often bought on the spur of moment and are not worth ordering on line (I don't know anything about the cost of vaping, but I assume when they run out, the person using them will want another one the same day).

yep your right - towns will never get back to how they used to be I dont think . shame . it can only get worse really the way online shopping has taken off and will take off even more in the future (theres always talk of same day deliveries and drone deliveries etc and god knows what other large online retailers have in mind)

I dunno whether thats what I want to see in a town centre in the end cafes and pound shops and vape shops but thats what they could end up like or going to end up like. and then if there are no good selection of shops any more then people may stop going into town so if they stop going into town and no shoppers to want refreshments whats going to all the business the cafe's etc get?

When did 5th on Teeling close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

marvin80 wrote: »
    When did 5th on Teeling close?

Not far off 6 months ago I'd say? Rumour I heard was offices going in there.

Yeah, you're totally right. Lets leave these units idle and have less jobs in the locality. Much better idea.
    I'm all for jobs in Sligo, seeing all the places that have closed over the last few years has been truly awful. Many of these shops/businesses have personal stories behind them, people that went out on a limb to invest in a something and rely on it to support themselves and their family. Even worse when it closes, they have very little support because they were self employed. It's always fantastic to see new places opening up. However the sustainability of the steady stream of new cafés, restaurants etc is what I'm skeptical about. It's sad to see somewhere close particularly after 6-12 months knowing that despite someone's best efforts it didn't get enough business to continue trading or rates were increased. If people want to give restaurants/cafe's
    a go, then more power to them, but without support services (other shops, (non-alcohol) entertainment etc) I'm not sure as many places will stay open. It actually makes me sad to see the cycle of new places opening and then closing. I want these places to be successful in the long term and open for years instead of months.
    On the other hand maybe these new restaurants/cafe's will attract other businesses to open around them, maybe its the kick-start Sligo needs and that would be fantastic.
    I think it can be done, I just don't think this is how it will be done, but I'd be genuinely delighted to be proven wrong.

• Advertisement

• Anyone know where I can locally purchase a replacment computer seat cover?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/office-swivel-computer-47x50cm-backrest/dp/B013YF0296

Anyone know where I can locally purchase a replacment computer seat cover?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/office-swivel-computer-47x50cm-backrest/dp/B013YF0296

maybe ask in somewhere like sligo office supply or somewhere similar?

How where we with all that traffic chaos this morning. Dual Carriage Way closed to Sligo bound traffic at Colloney due to overturned truck, then another truck hit bridge at Ballisadare on one of the diverts.

A lot of frustrated drivers quite late for work I guess today. 15 minute journey turned into almost an hour.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    How where we with all that traffic chaos this morning. Dual Carriage Way closed to Sligo bound traffic at Colloney due to overturned truck, then another truck hit bridge at Ballisadare on one of the diverts.

A lot of frustrated drivers quite late for work I guess today. 15 minute journey turned into almost an hour.

its the snowflake or 2 we got .. sent people doolally so it has :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

its the snowflake or 2 we got .. sent people doolally so it has :D

Except it wasn't that. It was the truck that turned over and the truck that got stuck at the bridge.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Except it wasn't that. It was the truck that turned over and the truck that got stuck at the bridge.

I werent around on the roads at that time this morning (thankfully) - was there any snow or ice around on the roads there ?

I werent around on the roads at that time this morning (thankfully) - was there any snow or ice around on the roads there ?

None at all around there between 8.30 and 9.30 anyway.

wonder what it was with the lorry going across the roundabout then ? (only speculating) on phone? - tired? just a freak accident? avoiding another vehicle.

and then it gets directed to old sligo road only for another truck to get caught under a bridge! - whoever was driving that truck must of known height of his load ... then why still pursue to carry on and drive under the bridge! .. i dunno

sounded like a crazy morning anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I'm sure he was well aware of the height if his load, pity that by the time he would have known about the bridge it would have been too late to turn around. There's no signs before the coolaney road junction to warn you I believe, and he probably never drove that road before.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I'm sure he was well aware of the height if his load, pity that by the time he would have known about the bridge it would have been too late to turn around. There's no signs before the coolaney road junction to warn you I believe, and he probably never drove that road before.

Which bridge was it? The one around the S turn near Parkes Garage, or the one between Ballisadare and the N4. Either way, having to be redirected, the driver may not have been sure of the road. Would expect truck drivers to go under the one near the N4 to make deliveries, but doubt many go by Parkes any more.

• Advertisement

yes i was wondering that myself if there are any pre-warning signs of a bridge ahead and stating maximum height of vehicle - ultra bad if they dont

anyone know if the truck that got caught was just travelling down there or if it had just got diverted from the collooney roundabout crash?

The one out of Collooney village heading on the old N4 towards Ballisodare, at the S bend. It was a supertrailer I believe (higher than normal) and he was diverted just after the accident happened. The bridge at Sligo side of Ballisodare village is taller if I'm not mistaken.

rizzodun wrote: »
    The one out of Collooney village heading on the old N4 towards Ballisodare, at the S bend. It was a supertrailer I believe (higher than normal) and he was diverted just after the accident happened. The bridge at Sligo side of Ballisodare village is taller if I'm not mistaken.

ah blimey, he was diverted and and the person(s) enacting the diversion didnt thought to pull him over and tell him at time of diversion that his vehicle could hit the bridge there ...

ah blimey, he was diverted and and the person(s) enacting the diversion didnt thought to pull him over and tell him at time of diversion that his vehicle could hit the bridge there ...

It's not like diversions like this are done on a regular basis. It might not have been done by the gardai at that stage, mistakes happen.

Looks like Sligo is going to have 2 Summer Festivals - the usual one in August and another one the May Bank holiday weekend.
    Hopefully get big crowds for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

marvin80 wrote: »
    Looks like Sligo is going to have 2 Summer Festivals - the usual one in August and another one the May Bank holiday weekend.
    Hopefully get big crowds for both.

Any info for these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any info for these?
    The decision to have two was only announced yesterday.. so that's the only info so far.

they are run great as well. feels safe environment for the family and the volunteers go around clearing up litter/cups on the spot as the night goes on. nice atmosphere.

Sligo Live Festival taking place over 2 weekends in October as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement