Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Annie K64

euphdub wrote: »
    got offered training in February for Dublin port, was also told I need to commit to the training by close of business today .I have asked for information on shift patterns and rota's and they don't seem to be very pushed on giving information , does anyone have any insight or info into what the shift patterns would be like .it all seems very vague at the moment and if I'm gonna jump from my current job in the private sector to this I would need a lot more clarity

I would have to agree with you there. That can't expect people to commit without knowing full details

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justin_lucas

Just got a call, training starting in Feb for Dublin Port. More details to follow but accepted the position happily. Was OOM 72.
    Good luck to all other potential candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 olly2018

Just got a call, training starting in Feb for Dublin Port. More details to follow but accepted the position happily. Was OOM 72.
    Good luck to all other potential candidates.

Excellent. So they seem to be calling everyday this week. Not far to go for me.

I wonder will they stop the calls today or will they be calling into next week? Hopefully so.

I would also echo to above poster that it is very difficult for people to accept positions without having all the info. Hours for commuting and days make such a big difference where people have family circumstances to arrange.

It is a difficult decision to hand in notice with existing employment when people do not understand fully what is ahead.

Hopefully I will get a call before Christmas.

Does anyone know when revenue finish up for Christmas period?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Iano1987

I was in Batch 2 and got a message saying results from the tests should be early January

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jayb4k

Just got an email to say my stage 2 results won't be given until early January. Any other stage 2s get similar? I'm devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maurz

"Please note, we now expect to issue the results, for your recently completed Stage 2 Supervised Assessment, by early January 2019" l've just received this msg, so they are obviously behind/delays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

No offense but they are not getting back to us about job application forms.

We had to come in, in person, middle of work day, to do the test. They said late November/early December at latest. And now they're saying January +.

It seems to me there needs to be a regulatory body set up to make sure test-takes, especially those in-person, are treated fairly, as right now we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

olly2018 wrote: »
    Excellent. So they seem to be calling everyday this week. Not far to go for me.

I wonder will they stop the calls today or will they be calling into next week? Hopefully so.

I would also echo to above poster that it is very difficult for people to accept positions without having all the info. Hours for commuting and days make such a big difference where people have family circumstances to arrange.

It is a difficult decision to hand in notice with existing employment when people do not understand fully what is ahead.

Its still being confirmed but will be soon, but the shift is 24/7 and will work on an 8 week cycle with 3 primary shifts, 5am-1pm, 1pm-9pm and 9pm-5am. There will also be other shifts at different times of the day but these won't be everyday and will depend on the needs of the port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The_Brood wrote: »
    No offense but they are not getting back to us about job application forms.

We had to come in, in person, middle of work day, to do the test. They said late November/early December at latest. And now they're saying January +.

It seems to me there needs to be a regulatory body set up to make sure test-takes, especially those in-person, are treated fairly, as right now we are not.

There already is a regulatory body: www.cpsa.ie/en

Also delays in issuing results happen all the time for various reasons. It may be a case of it making more business sense to issue them in the New Year once they have numbers of thos who have accepted training etc.

Like I said before, logic rarely exists in the Public Service and when it comes to promotions and competitions patience is required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

plibige wrote: »
    Its still being confirmed but will be soon, but the shift is 24/7 and will work on an 8 week cycle with 3 primary shifts, 5am-1pm, 1pm-9pm and 9pm-5am. There will also be other shifts at different times of the day but these won't be everyday and will depend on the needs of the port

Doesnt that apply to Dublin only. Was under the impression that it was 16/7 shift pattern in Cork and Rosslare

• Advertisement

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Doesnt that apply to Dublin only. Was under the impression that it was 16/7 shift pattern in Cork and Rosslare

That's just for Dublin port, every roster will be specific to the needs of the station. And this is what is likely to be Dublin port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭weadick

Why are the staffing requirments in Dublin so much greater than elsewhere? Surley with Cork being the second city, where all the big pharma companies are located, plus the relocation of the port in the near future, there would be a strong need for staff too.

weadick wrote: »
    Why are the staffing requirments in Dublin so much greater than elsewhere? Surley with Cork being the second city, where all the big pharma companies are located, plus the relocation of the port in the near future, there would be a strong need for staff too.

If you look at the volume of goods into and out of Dublin in comparison with other Irish ports from CSO website, it might help explain. And Dublin staff were always going to be recruited first. Looks like the New Year before there will be movement for Cork and Rosslare.

Its a pity they arent longer shifts like Garda control room operators - 4 days on/off. Sister is having second thoughts now about taking any offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I can only imagine the powers that be are waiting to see how the Westminster vote on Brexit goes. A lot of the numbers requirement will be dependent on either a little bit of chaos or complete chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

olly2018 wrote: »

Revenue? Working christmas eve and back 27th Dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Its a pity they arent longer shifts like Garda control room operators - 4 days on/off. Sister is having second thoughts now about taking any offer.

I don't think anything is really set in stone regarding shifts. They didn't specify how long the shifts were or how many days in the information booklet other than you may be rosters over 24/7 (or maybe less outside Dublin). Thats is most like to allow them the flexible to change current shift patterns in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭revenent

Vetting forms appeared in inbox today. Says it expires in 30 days. I image not much will be done this close to Christmas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

How long does the vetting typically take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

greenb wrote: »
    How long does the vetting typically take?

It's hard to say really, the workload in the NVB really determines the length of time. From prior experience being vetted for the GAA, the NVB took a week to return their findings, so the application trail of

NVB=>you=>Revenue=>NVB=>Revenue, when it reaches the 4th stage it should be a week after that the NVB return their findings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭shmeee

DoctaDee wrote: »
    It's hard to say really, the workload in the NVB really determines the length of time. From prior experience being vetted for the GAA, the NVB took a week to return their findings, so the application trail of

NVB=>you=>Revenue=>NVB=>Revenue, when it reaches the 4th stage it should be a week after that the NVB return their findings

Any delay with the vetting is at the end of the revenue not sending across the files or waiting to batch send files. The vetting is very quickly turned around once it hits the desk in the NVB office.

I'm told the main delays lately are from the employers and agencies not sending the files across to be vetted, HSE wait to send a batch at a time which causes delays.

shmeee wrote: »
    Any delay with the vetting is at the end of the revenue not sending across the files or waiting to batch send files. The vetting is very quickly turned around once it hits the desk in the NVB office.

I'm told the main delays lately are from the employers and agencies not sending the files across to be vetted, HSE wait to send a batch at a time which causes delays.

Ah yeah agree 100% that delays can occur anywhere along the chain, in particular the incidences that you've outlined with regard to the batch transmission of vetting files.

I just commented on the fact that my application thru the GAA was with NVB for a week prior to clearing - NVB have a tracking facility for your application which allows you follow its progress.

DoctaDee wrote: »

Looks like revenue are acting very quickly on this. My vetting form was passed from revenue to NVB within a couple of hours of me completing it.

Has anybody starting training in January had any more communication from revenue since accepting the offer? I'm due to start training in February and have heard nothing since the original call. By the way, I've heard there are already 4 groups scheduled to start in Jan and at least 1 in Feb, so they're moving through the list very quickly for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Heisenberg79

Looks like revenue are acting very quickly on this. My vetting form was passed from revenue to NVB within a couple of hours of me completing it.

Has anybody starting training in January had any more communication from revenue since accepting the offer? I'm due to start training in February and have heard nothing since the original call. By the way, I've heard there are already 4 groups scheduled to start in Jan and at least 1 in Feb, so they're moving through the list very quickly for Dublin.

Wife is starting trai ing 14th of January. She has heard nothing since she got contract and vetting application.

I am to start training in Feb date t.b.c vetting form with NVB for processing at the moment. No other contact at present. It was mentioned that they would be contacting after vetting cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭JKerova1

The closer it's getting to Brexit the more it looks like the sh!t is going to hit the fan. Bad for the country but good for us I suspect...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrTvw

I am to start training in Feb date t.b.c vetting form with NVB for processing at the moment. No other contact at present. It was mentioned that they would be contacting after vetting cleared.

Hi do you mind me asking what OOM you are for Dublin?! Thanks

MrTvw wrote: »
    Hi do you mind me asking what OOM you are for Dublin?! Thanks

I was within OOM Seventies. :)

"Additional customs staff

The Government has already said it is accelerating the recruitment of revenue and other officials who will be needed in the event of post-Brexit."

https://m.independent.ie/business/brexit/irelands-stark-and-sobering-nodeal-brexit-plan-revealed-37642734.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Keith79

20 people per week starting in Jan.
    Training. 3 weeks of learning about procedures and the UCC. Union custom Code. A lot to learn. This all comes together at the end.
    2 weeks of system training. Practice how to use the systems, what to look for etc.
    Then 2 days of induction. The do’s and dont’s of Revenue.
    Then your group will move to your area, Airport/port.
    In Dublin port it’s a 24/7 roster. Week of mornings/evenings/nights. Generally working hours 5:00-13:00, 13:00-21:00, 21:00-5:00. 8 week rotation. 4 weekends off in the 8 weeks.
    You’ll be split away from your group and placed on a team. Your team will have older trainees and long term staff full of experience.
    You’ll be in full uniform all the time. (When you eventually get it).
    It seems daunting. But your group then team will help you along.

• Advertisement

Keith79 wrote: »
    20 people per week starting in Jan.
    Training. 3 weeks of learning about procedures and the UCC. Union custom Code. A lot to learn. This all comes together at the end.
    2 weeks of system training. Practice how to use the systems, what to look for etc.
    Then 2 days of induction. The do’s and dont’s of Revenue.
    Then your group will move to your area, Airport/port.
    In Dublin port it’s a 24/7 roster. Week of mornings/evenings/nights. Generally working hours 5:00-13:00, 13:00-21:00, 21:00-5:00. 8 week rotation. 4 weekends off in the 8 weeks.
    You’ll be split away from your group and placed on a team. Your team will have older trainees and long term staff full of experience.
    You’ll be in full uniform all the time. (When you eventually get it).
    It seems daunting. But your group then team will help you along.

Great info Keith much appreciated

Thanks Keith. Do you know if the shift structure will be the same at the airport?

Thanks Keith. Do you know if the shift structure will be the same at the airport?
    The Airport staff I went through training with are not on shift.
    They have flexi. No shift premium.

The Airport staff I went through training with are not on shift.
    They have flexi. No shift premium.

There are staff going on shift in the airport, but no the roster won't be the same. The roster is specific to each station.

No mention of Cork airport or port in the government contingency plan. Just Dublin and Rosslare.

Thats fairly disappointing!

No mention of Cork airport or port in the government contingency plan. Just Dublin and Rosslare.

Dublin deals with over 80% of the imports/exports. And with ferry companies moving routes to Dublin, Rosslare and cork will not need as many staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Diarmaid38

Dublin deals with over 80% of the imports/exports. And with ferry companies moving routes to Dublin, Rosslare and cork will not need as many staff.

Hey Keith, lots of good information thanks, any idea of how many people will be needed in Rosslare, I'm OOM 26 and just wondered was there any move?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

The fact they are saying rosslare is to have an extra 13 inspection bays and 25 parking bays plus more office space for officials... be interesting where they find the space for all this.

Did cork not undergo a refurb recently?

Im not sure about ferry companies moving to dublin but i dont think 80% is accurate.

99.5% of all import/exports come through the ports but Dublin port only accounts for 50% of that including two thirds of all Lo-Lo containers.

I dont think rosslare does containers so most traffic would be through the ferries (this would be impacted if ferry companies were to move to dublin) but i would image a good chunk of the remaining containers are via the cork ports.

gizmo23 wrote: »

You might be right about that on the port side. and well most trade at the airport, id image comes through the old terminal building which is closed to the public so they'd have the space at least.

still tho i would have expected some mention of staff required at cork, afterall they have brought two batches to supervised tests and one to interview. It would be disappoint if it turns out they dont need any or few additional staff.

• Advertisement

Diarmaid38 wrote: »

Hey Keith, lots of good information thanks, any idea of how many people will be needed in Rosslare, I'm OOM 26 and just wondered was there any move?
    The first 20 for Rosslare are due in Jan with the next 20 to follow every 3/4 weeks.

First 20 for Rosslare in Jan with the second group of 20 3/4 weeks later.

And the fact that Port of Cork is due to vacate Tivoli location in the next two years...sister is in top 5 for Cork but hasnt heard a peep

• Registered Users Posts: 5 76543

Keith, have you heard anything about Cork ?

You might be right about that on the port side. and well most trade at the airport, id image comes through the old terminal building which is closed to the public so they'd have the space at least.

still tho i would have expected some mention of staff required at cork, afterall they have brought two batches to supervised tests and one to interview. It would be disappoint if it turns out they dont need any or few additional staff.

The reason I was asking if you look at the plans they have it never mentions how many people for each area.

Just what is needed regarding facilities. And let's be honest Dublin needs the most as more goes there and well rosslare is a s*** hole being polite about it. Needs an upgrade considering 4 sailings a day to the u.k.

The fact Coveney is saying hiring will be ramped up is the best news.

The reason I was asking if you look at the plans they have it never mentions how many people for each area.

No numbers but in part 5 they do say that:

"Since the early summer an interdepartmental group has been meeting to prepare the measures required at ports and airports as a result of the UK leaving the EU on 29 March 2019. This has included the staffing, IT, infrastructural and operational requirements at Dublin Port, Rosslare Europort and Dublin Airport. "

In part 5 they do say that

"Since the early summer an interdepartmental group has been meeting to prepare the measures required at ports and airports as a result of the UK leaving the EU on 29 March 2019. This has included the staffing, IT, infrastructural and operational requirements at Dublin Port, Rosslare Europort and Dublin Airport. "

Never read that .... Well that ****s all over my point ://.. I guess only genuinely revenue and government know what's going on and who's going where and even then you can get conflicting reports. I would be shocked if by 2 years batch one hadn't been gone through. PAS wouldn't call up a second batch for no reason

I would be shocked if by 2 years batch one hadn't been gone through.
    I would be shocked too.
    PAS wouldn't call up a second batch for no reason
    I hope your right on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Paddy2018

Now for the The most important question:
    Does anyone know what the uniform is like? How official is it? is there a crest? Will it enable the wearer to get free coffee in MacDonalds? or is it nearer the kind of outfit worn for doing security on the Luas (including stab vest) ? :)

Paddy2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the uniform is like? How official is it? is there a crest? Will it enable the wearer to get free coffee in MacDonalds? or is it nearer the kind of outfit worn for doing security on the Luas (including stab vest) ? :)

Id image its the official customs uniform - dark navy combats, white shirt with clip on tie or navy tshirt, navy jacket with green strips and 'Custaim' crest on side of the arm.

I dont know about getting a free coffee at mcdonalds tho. Haha

• Advertisement

Paddy2018 wrote: »

The uniform does entitle the wearer to one free coffee with every purchase of a signature burger meal as long as it's with a blueberry mc flurry, curly fries and a fruit box. You will also be entitled to free entry to coppers on all-ireland winning nights and a free nurse from a Dublin hospital of your choice. Obviously this only applies to Dublin and Wexford employees as nobody from Cork is ever likely to be near Coppers on all-ireland night.

Advertisement