Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor won’t prescribe the only thing that helped my skin

Options
  • 09-12-2018 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

So I was travelling in Australia and finally found the cure for my acne. I had been suggested the pill (Dianette) but I can’t take it because I get migraines, I can only take the progesterone only pill.

So I found out about a drug called Spiractin, primarily used to treat blood pressure but commonly prescribed off label for hormonal acne. It cleared up my skin completely within a few months and I was absolutely delighted, this was life changing for me!

So I came home and went to see my GP and told her about this drug and how it had helped me and there was tonnes of stuff online about it and asked if I could have a prescription. She flat out refused and said she would not prescribe a drug unless there was evidence for it to be used for its correct intention. So I’m devastated that the one thing that worked for me, I now can’t have. I could see another GP but I’m worried it’ll just be the same thing. My GP said she’ll refer me to a dermatologist but that’s about 6 months away. I’m so annoyed because this actually worked and changed my life.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar or used Spiractin for acne themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Is that an antibiotic? if so, Id avoid if at all possible,
    Having had bad skin when I was younger, I recommend going to a dermatologist, I was given roaccutane ( I think it comes from vitamin A)
    Only years later I heard bad things about it, but I was only on it for 3 months, at the time I was delighted with the rapid progress. I dont think a gp is going to have the full insight into a specific area, they've referred you, that said, there can be side affects of any drug and if they're not aware of potential complications, they a likely reluctant to just go and prescribe you what you want or have found searching yourself, it may not even be available here or maybe they are aware of other side affects.
    Maybe you could arrange private medical cover and get seen sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A reminder to all that medical advice is not permitted on Boards.

Is Spiractin available for prescription here in Ireland? If it is, you could try to get a second opinion from an alternative GP. You can’t really blame your GP though if she’s not familiar with use of the drug for that purpose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd follow your doctor's advice. That's crazy wanting to take a medication for blood pressure, a problem you don't have.

Okay so you have clear skin. Won't be much help to you if you're dead in a casket because of taking medication you didn't need.

Ok so I'm taking it to the extreme but come on, taking medication you don't need can cause serious health problems

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

OP ,the doctor was 100% correct. Absolutely madness to use blood pressure tablets for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

The only patients I have seen this on their medications list are being treated for heart failure so I think your doctor is correct in not prescribing it for you!
    See what the dermatologist reccommends

• Advertisement
Advertisement