Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair thinning and breaking

Options
  • 18-11-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Sorry, another hair thread!

I've always had fairly good hair, but recently it's started breaking and coming out at the root basically every time I touch it. I'm nearly driven to tears by the amount of hair in the comb when I brush it. What's making it worse (I think) is that my hair is getting really knotty - up until a couple of months ago I would rarely have had a knot at all.

I have hypothyroidism and suffer from nutritional malabsorption as a result of chronic illness, both of which I think could be affecting my hair. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about diet at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to strengthen hair or encourage hair growth externally - whether serums, shampoos, massage, literally anything. I've had a look in the shops, but I'm overwhelmed by the amounts of products available and I can't afford to try them all. I have a doctor's appointment in a few weeks so I might bring it up then (just in case it's something medical); I'm just looking for anything to try in the meantime.

In case it helps/makes a difference: I have very curly hair that's quite fine. I shampoo once a week (usually using the lush "copperhead" shampoo bar) and condition three times a week (generally with whatever's in the shower).I also do a leave in hair-mask every couple of weeks.

Any help or advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think for hair that's falling out at the root as opposed to just breaking, Nioxin shampoo is about the only external/topical treatment option.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

It's both roots and breakages - probably slightly more so the latter because of the knots that I keep getting.

Have you any experience of the Nioxin? I've had a quick google and there seems to be quite a few different products. Do you have any particular recommendations on which would be best (cleanser/scalp treatment/deep conditioner ect.)?

Thank you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m 100% not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure that hypothyroidism causes hair issues, so it’s definitely worth speaking to your doctor in case your medication dose needs adjusting.

You could try biotin supplements maybe, although they take a long time to make any noticeable difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

If you are on instagram follow pellodolls
    Denise from pello hair in Newbridge is so lovely and great for product advice according to your issues. They carry the NAK range which made for scalp to hair problems.

Faith wrote: »
    I’m 100% not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure that hypothyroidism causes hair issues, so it’s definitely worth speaking to your doctor in case your medication dose needs adjusting.

You could try biotin supplements maybe, although they take a long time to make any noticeable difference.

Yeah, I think I've probably discounted the hypothyroidism a bit unnecessarily because I've had it for so long (seven years) and never had problems with my hair in that time. But I'll definitely bring in up in my next appointment. And I might ask him about the supplements, too. Thanks!

• Advertisement

La.de.da wrote: »
    If you are on instagram follow pellodolls
    Denise from pello hair in Newbridge is so lovely and great for product advice according to your issues. They carry the NAK range which made for scalp to hair problems.

Thanks! I'm not on instagram, but I have couple of friends who are. I'll ask them if they can do it on my behalf. My own hairdresser has, unfortunately, proved quite useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Thanks! I'm not on instagram, but I have couple of friends who are. I'll ask them if they can do it on my behalf. My own hairdresser has, unfortunately, proved quite useless!

Mention it to your doctor too. Mine went very thin when my thyroid meds needed to be upped.

I'd also recommend alfaparf anti breakage fluid. I spray every time on wet hair after washing helps stop breakage from brushing.

A good quality shampoo and conditioner/mask. Again I love alfaparf some great deals on gift sets for the Christmas.

Get yourself a good hair cut and if you have to use heat to style your hair, use a heat protector.

La.de.da wrote: »
    Mention it to your doctor too. Mine went very thin when my thyroid meds needed to be upped.

I'd also recommend alfaparf anti breakage fluid. I spray every time on wet hair after washing helps stop breakage from brushing.

A good quality shampoo and conditioner/mask. Again I love alfaparf some great deals on gift sets for the Christmas.

Get yourself a good hair cut and if you have to use heat to style your hair, use a heat protector.

Yeah, I got a cut last week and that just seemed to reinforce (to me, anyway) how sparse my hair is gone. I never use any form of heat on it.

I'll have a look at the Alfaparf stuff, too - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Heard good reports on Milkshake Energising products, there's a conditioner, shampoo, and scalp solution

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi there i cant highly recommend enough the system professional shampoos and conditioner and what they have done for my hair. I use the one for thin hair its about 17e for the bottle but the tinest amount you need and lasts me months!! also use perfectil tablets and they have thickened up my hair so much people have asked me what im using on my hair. Does take a few months for perfectil results but couldnt imagine not taking them now or using the shampoo and condit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi there i cant highly recommend enough the system professional shampoos and conditioner and what they have done for my hair. I use the one for thin hair its about 17e for the bottle but the tinest amount you need and lasts me months!! also use perfectil tablets and they have thickened up my hair so much people have asked me what im using on my hair. Does take a few months for perfectil results but couldnt imagine not taking them now or using the shampoo and condit

Hi where do you buy this?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi where do you buy this?

I got it on Look fantastic its sold out there atm but comes back regulary its called System Professional Volumise Shampoo 250ml especially for thin hair. Also they do free delivery. I also use the hair mask once a week its very expensive but have it one full year now and still not used it has stopped my ends breaking its https://www.lookfantastic.com/system-professional-repair-mask-200ml/11314969.html but they do offers where theres 15-20% off each day so you would get it for under the 30 I cant reccommend good hair care enough its hard at the time but honestly best money i ever spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Thanks a mill! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I've probably discounted the hypothyroidism a bit unnecessarily because I've had it for so long (seven years) and never had problems with my hair in that time. But I'll definitely bring in up in my next appointment. And I might ask him about the supplements, too. Thanks!

Hi.
    I haven't read the full thread but please be aware that biotin can interfere with thyroid lab results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Riraw

Get your iron and ferritin checked. If they are low they can cause hair loss.

Advertisement