Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical training in Ireland vs UK for psychiatry and neurology

Options
  • 07-08-2018 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,
    Dies anyone have any experience or knowledge of where it is better to train as a psychiatrist or neurologist? I am a psych graduate with an MSc in Neuroscience (UK both degrees), two times unsuccessful applicant for UK GEM and first time successfulI for an Irish GEM course. I am really trying to decide whether to move to Ireland. I have been exposed to a lot of neuro and psych in the UK, I have seen the incredible research going on at Queen Square in London, the Wellcome Trust etc.. can Ireland offer something similar? What is the state of mental health education and care provided in Ireland? Is there coherence in the care for patients and is it overall satisfying to be in one of these fields there?
    Thank you.
    PS I am almosy 26 and this GEM is my first ever medicine offer so it is pretty important to me to get it right soon!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Aiezsedai wrote: »
    Hello,
    Dies anyone have any experience or knowledge of where it is better to train as a psychiatrist or neurologist? I am a psych graduate with an MSc in Neuroscience (UK both degrees), two times unsuccessful applicant for UK GEM and first time successfulI for an Irish GEM course. I am really trying to decide whether to move to Ireland. I have been exposed to a lot of neuro and psych in the UK, I have seen the incredible research going on at Queen Square in London, the Wellcome Trust etc.. can Ireland offer something similar? What is the state of mental health education and care provided in Ireland? Is there coherence in the care for patients and is it overall satisfying to be in one of these fields there?
    Thank you.
    PS I am almosy 26 and this GEM is my first ever medicine offer so it is pretty important to me to get it right soon!

Do your medical degree in a reputable school and worry about postgrad then. The medicine undergrad won’t focus on either specialty so I don’t think it will matter. And wherever you are you can do elective placements abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alexander Martin

Yes, it is interesting and I find out by the way. I have repeatedly wanted to find the answer to this question.

Advertisement