Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos and out-of-warranty laptop

Options
  • 17-02-2020 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, was directed here from the technology section of boards.

My laptop, purchased from Argos in Jan 2019 (so, just out of warranty), died, instantly and probably irretrievably.

Argos offer a 1-year warranty, but a poster on the other thread highlighted this:
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm
    EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.

Does anybody have any experience with arguing this, or anything I can say to support me in my arguments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

osarusan wrote: »

My laptop, purchased from argos in Jan 2019 (so, just out of warranty), died, instantly and probably irretrievably.

Argos offer a 1-year warranty, but a poster on the other thread highlighted this:
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

Does anybody have any experience with arguing this, or anything I can say to support me in my arguments?

It's probably the harddrive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Ireland did not introduce a fixed consumer warranty period in law. (The EU site you referenced is for the UK).

That's sounds like bad news but you should be fine. A supplier is liable for up to 6 years here.

Ignore the Argos warranty and quote the sales of goods act 1980 which requires "Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price" .

A computer should last more than 365 days!

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

I'd be amazed is you get an BS from Argos....but you never know......

If you do get any BS make sure to let them know that you are a regular on boards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My laptop, purchased from Argos in Jan 2019 (so, just out of warranty), died, instantly and probably irretrievably.

I've found Argos to be the best at sorting out of warranty issues. Brought an 18 month old TV back to them that came with a one year warranty and they simply gave me a new replacement there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yeah, I've had good experiences with Argos in the past, just wondering what the law is and when to introduce that evidence, if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

well the law is quite clear, and argos usually very good to deal with.

user the sale of goods and supply act goods must be of merchantable quality and you have 'up to 6 years' in which you can bring a claim to small claims court.

this doesn't mean you have 6 years, the cost of the item and expected life would factor into this. however 1 year and 1 month most certainly would be within the expected lifespan for any laptop of any cost.

you would be entitled to claim one of the 3R's repair/replace/refund but you don't get to choose which one argos should offer.

there is one big proviso here, it only covers manufacturing faults, not user damage and wear and tear. caused by improper use. And i think you are not sure what is wrong with laptop? So Argos would be entitled to send it off for diagnosis and see what the report says is wrong with it. If it is damage caused by improper use, you would be entitled to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

well the law is quite clear, and argos usually very good to deal with.

user the sale of goods and supply act goods must be of merchantable quality and you have 'up to 6 years' in which you can bring a claim to small claims court.

this doesn't mean you have 6 years, the cost of the item and expected life would factor into this. however 1 year and 1 month most certainly would be within the expected lifespan for any laptop of any cost.

you would be entitled to claim one of the 3R's repair/replace/refund but you don't get to choose which one argos should offer.

there is one big proviso here, it only covers manufacturing faults, not user damage and wear and tear. caused by improper use. And i think you are not sure what is wrong with laptop? So Argos would be entitled to send it off for diagnosis and see what the report says is wrong with it. If it is damage caused by improper use, you would be entitled to nothing.

Thanks for all that.

Would be happy with any of the three Rs.

As I said in the other thread, we may have had too many heavy duty programmes open and pushed it to 100%, but unless that qualifies as improper use, I can't see how we did. There is certainly something wrong with it as it cannot be powered on at all.

I want to recover all data from the SSD first, then I'll head to Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I want to recover all data from the SSD first, then I'll head to Argos.

Opening the unit might cause you an additional headache. I'm guessing you didn't make a backup. Hopefully the SSD is easy to get at and there are no warranty seals.

Advertisement