Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordless vacuum

Options
  • 30-03-2021 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Can anyone recommend a good cordless vacuum that dosent cost the earth.

What is the best measurement of power. I see some use the word Kpa - 12 ‘Kpa’ 18 ‘Kpa’ etc
    Others then make no mention of this. So hard to compare one against the other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭JoChervil

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Can anyone recommend a good cordless vacuum that dosent cost the earth.

What is the best measurement of power. I see some use the word Kpa - 12 ‘Kpa’ 18 ‘Kpa’ etc
    Others then make no mention of this. So hard to compare one against the other.

I bought such vacuum cleaner last year. I initially wanted to buy a cheap one. A friend of mine bought Dyson and was not happy because it run out of power quickly. So I decided that I need something longer cleaning.

The problem with cheap vacuum cleaners is, that if battery become weak, you can't exchange it because it is built in. And you can't use a cord, like you could use with your mobile or computer in such a case, because there is no cord for it.

So I decided that the best for my needs will be Bosh series 6 (not the newest one, which would be much more expensive). It was around 300 euro, so middle range, but I bought it with 2 batteries and a quick charger. 1 battery lasts 30 minutes. But you can use turbo mode and then battery lasts only 7 minutes. So it is handy to have this option and have a spare battery charged.

So when batteries go weak, I will only buy new batteries then, not the whole new vacuum cleaner. So I think the money I spent will go a long way.

Also you can use this charger and batteries with any other Bosh electric tool.

You could probably buy Dyson with 2 exchangeable batteries too, but I haven't researched it. And I believe German products are good.

Anyway I find it handy and now really enjoy hovering. But I know that price wise it is not for everyone's liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

JoChervil wrote: »
    I bought such vacuum cleaner last year. I initially wanted to buy a cheap one. A friend of mine bought Dyson and was not happy because it run out of power quickly. So I decided that I need something longer cleaning.

The problem with cheap vacuum cleaners is, that if battery become weak, you can't exchange it because it is built in. And you can't use a cord, like you could use with your mobile or computer in such a case, because there is no cord for it.

So I decided that the best for my needs will be Bosh series 6 (not the newest one, which would be much more expensive). It was around 300 euro, so middle range, but I bought it with 2 batteries and a quick charger. 1 battery lasts 30 minutes. But you can use turbo mode and then battery lasts only 7 minutes. So it is handy to have this option and have a spare battery charged.

So when batteries go weak, I will only buy new batteries then, not the whole new vacuum cleaner. So I think the money I spent will go a long way.

Also you can use this charger and batteries with any other Bosh electric tool.

You could probably buy Dyson with 2 exchangeable batteries too, but I haven't researched it. And I believe German products are good.

Anyway I find it handy and now really enjoy hovering. But I know that price wise it is not for everyone's liking.

Thanks. But which ‘Kpa’ one did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

obi604 wrote: »
    Thanks. But which ‘Kpa’ one did you buy?

Have a read of this, it explains it. https://pickvacuumcleaner.com/vacuum-cleaner-specifications/

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

con747 wrote: »

Thanks. But good jaysus, I’m even more confused now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭Damien360

Higher the Kpa, the better the suction. Unfortunately the EU limited the power of vacuum cleaner motors for green efficiency reasons so it’s difficult to get the higher power ones now.

The handheld ones (have a dyson one) are handy for quick run at the stairs but they don’t last long at all and nowhere near as powerful as a conventional plugged in one, even a new borked power one as per new laws. We have an older dyson animal plugged in one also and although it’s a pain to take out of the press, it is far better than the handheld.

As one poster said above, at full power you get 7 mins (dyson is similar) and at reduced suction you get a half hour but spend twice as long hoovering the one area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement