Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

ForestFire wrote: »
    I did find the I needed to have the GPU update run from a USB rather than the main hard drive, not sure if that is normal and obvious for these updates?

It's normal for motherboard bios updates anyway. Can't recall for GPU bioses. It's been a long time since I flashed one.

Be interesting to see if it makes any appreciable difference in the games I play (if my card ever gets delivered that is). I converted my boot drive from MBR to GPT in preparation, which was pretty nerve wracking to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot wrote: »
    Surprisingly my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO doesnt seem to have the BIOS ready for the resizeable bar

The only available BIOS

z4NqHS4.png

Tried updating my mobo bios, going through the bios to enable resizeable bar

cannot get this enabled and convinced at this stage is the GPU Bios

Finally I got it working

For anyone using MSI Cards, you need to use live updater to download the latest bios for your card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Do not buy from Alternate.de , bought new, sent open box with cut seals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0frNP0qzxQc
    :D
    I see it was shared before, still great fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Seen that earlier, it's gas. Some effort for an April fools joke.

His channel only has 5 videos. All from April 1st over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Screenshot-20210404-071208.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In stock 13th April when ordered and still showing something similar for a couple of minutes after.

Well it was nice while it lasted. No cancellation yet, but no dispatch either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Well it was nice while it lasted. No cancellation yet, but no dispatch either.

Same here. Just the "We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date." text on order tracking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see Nvidia have said there'll likely be GPU shortages throughout 2021 (might be old news, but I'm only reading it this morning).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I see Nvidia have said there'll likely be GPU shortages throughout 2021 (might be old news, but I'm only reading it this morning).

Yeah read the same yesterday, not good news is an understatement.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-graphics-card-supply-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    If EIP 1559(in July) hits miners really hard and they don't have an alt coin to switch to you could see cards going up on the second hand market at closer to RRP. There will still be a shortage but second hand prices could calm down.

However crypto is on another bull run and if it is valuable enough then it may be worth continuing to mine ethereum even after EIP 1559.

EIP 1559 + massive crypto crash is what gamers should be hoping for in July. It would free up some cards as small time miners could call it quits at that point. I don't think the massive warehouse full of cards will be folding so soon, they can still turn a profit with the very low electricity prices in the countries they are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

harmless wrote: »
    If EIP 1559(in July) hits miners really hard and they don't have an alt coin to switch to you could see cards going up on the second hand market at closer to RRP. There will still be a shortage but second hand prices could calm down.

However crypto is on another bull run and if it is valuable enough then it may be worth continuing to mine ethereum even after EIP 1559.

EIP 1559 + massive crypto crash is what gamers should be hoping for in July. It would free up some cards as small time miners could call it quits at that point. I don't think the massive warehouse full of cards will be folding so soon, they can still turn a profit with the very low electricity prices in the countries they are in.

I'd be surprised if a mining dip is going to have a huge impact in how available these cards are. There's a lot of completely unrelated factors causing this. Just pointing to crypto is a very 2017 way of looking at a complex problem.

Syferus wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if a mining dip is going to have a huge impact in how available these cards are. There's a lot of completely unrelated factors causing this. Just pointing to crypto is a very 2017 way of looking at a complex problem.

True but it could still potentially free up a few cards which would at least slightly reduce secondhand prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

True but it could still potentially free up a few cards which would at least slightly reduce secondhand prices.

Agreed - I didn't mean I was dismissing the point that it would free some supply, and at worst bring the free market value of the cards down closer to what the retail price is.

I do wonder what the opportunities something like EIP 1559 creates for other blockchains like ADA or XRP, which both have their own frailties but could easily gain market share if a large number of miners leave the ETH ecosystem.

There was a drop this morning (not that it's possible to order directly from here anyway). I've reached out to them several times on Twitter to ask about the situation, but never get a reply. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

spix wrote: »
    Do not buy from Alternate.de , bought new, sent open box with cut seals.

What did you buy? Did you send it back or get some compensation?

Luck100 wrote: »
    What did you buy? Did you send it back or get some compensation?

They only offered refund of shipping cost (10.80) or return, telling me its definitely new but why would the seal be cut? Basically only offering to cover cost of return shipping and then they'd try sell again as new to someone else.

Too much hassle for return so took the refund. Expensive graphics card. Wouldn't trust them to order there again.

Another failed order...got a 3090 into my basket on Amazon.de, checked out, and paid. Got an email after a couple of minutes canceling the order with no explanation. At least there's no charge on my card.

I've heard of this happening a number of times with both Amazon de and es.
    Was it sold from Amazon direct or 3rd party?
    I can understand why a 3rd party seller would want to ship locally but shipping to Ireland should be no problem for Amazon.

I've heard of this happening a number of times with both Amazon de and es.
    Was it sold from Amazon direct or 3rd party?
    I can understand why a 3rd party seller would want to ship locally but shipping to Ireland should be no problem for Amazon.

It was on Amazon.de, but offered through Amazon international from the US. I set it up to ship to a mailboxes.de address. I've had plenty of others on Amazon where I simply wasn't allowed to complete the transaction due to the shipping address - this was different. I completed the transaction and had the order in my live orders page for a few minutes. Then it was cancelled without reason.

• Advertisement

TheRover wrote: »
    Same

So howd this go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Meanwhile, in Taipei:

And before you go "ooh, but it's OLD GPUs!" - good luck finding even a 1650, at a humanly computable price, in the west. Also, some other clips in that channel show stocks of 6900XT, 3080 and 3090.

The store is CoolPC in Taipei, Taiwan.

The owner of that YT account doesn't give too much info, but reading through the comments section he does give out some additional data: most of the GPUs there are sold at MSRP price AND, apparently, the store is implementing one simple policy to stop scalpers and miners - you can't get a GPU unless as part of a bundle where you buy the minimum parts for a new build. It's a win-win scenario really - they make money, don't run out of GPUs so they can't build systems for new customers and customers get what they want: they can always spec something like a basic APU system for relative peanuts money, then rip the GPU out of it once they're home and still have a functioning second PC; All the while taking away the monetary benefit for potential scalpers and miners, who'd be saddled with piles of "gutted PCs" they paid for.

I've been to their website and it does look like it's the case - most of the GPUs are priced at some arbitrary "9999999" number; Also, the website is done in an interesting way - a lot of the text is actually on pictures, I kid you not, so that it's impossible for a bot to scrape it (and for Google Translate as well). This might be an unintended benefit however, as I've seen plenty of Chinese language websites being built like that (maybe to avoid the Communist Party watchful eye? I have no idea).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭manshay

From DropSentry on twitter:
    @DropSentry
    Just so people are aware, the EVGA cards are almost always US imports and they always get cancelled. No one really knows why they get cancelled though (only Amazon would know that). Not worth trying for those, I'd filter them out if I could, but it's difficult as seller is Amazon

I had a completed order for one of those Amazon USA cards on amazon.co.uk, to be delivered to a UK address, which was cancelled within 3 minutes of the order completion.

I managed to get an Asus TUF 3060ti from Amazon ES into a completed basket on Amazon Spain a few days ago, no expected date of delivery but order seems to stand. Fingers and toes crossed.

There was a dump on AMD website last night, seemed hard to get orders completed, I tried for an hour, card sitting in basket but final "buy" button returned me to original menu.

The EVGA thing might make some sense; I have subscribed for "alerts" for various models of 3090 directly on the EVGA website at the end of NOVEMBER, and to this day I haven't got a single mail about availability. None whatsoever - for whatever reason, it looks like the European market is pretty much bottom tier when it comes to shipments. I guess people here don't game as much as people in Asia and North America, and they prefer laptops.

MSI have canceled production of the gaming x trio and replaced it with the gaming z trio.
    The only difference is the z has a metal back plate and likely a more appropriate price for the current market.

This will force retailers to cancel all pre-orders on the x that were ordered at a lower price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

12gb makes an awful lot more sense than the previously rumoured 20gb

Yeah, that's exactly the type of card I want to be unable to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The EVGA thing might make some sense; I have subscribed for "alerts" for various models of 3090 directly on the EVGA website at the end of NOVEMBER, and to this day I haven't got a single mail about availability. None whatsoever - for whatever reason, it looks like the European market is pretty much bottom tier when it comes to shipments. I guess people here don't game as much as people in Asia and North America, and they prefer laptops.

Same as that, earliest one I have is 21/09/20 for a 3080..from the forums hearing the same thing, little or no stock for the EU, all about the US.

If I get a notify I'll pick one up, damned of I'm paying €2K for one. Will be sticking with the 1080ti otherwise.

Well, I'm half thinking about visiting Taiwan as soon as the quarantine/travel restrictions are lifted, at this point. Would be the first "build" I do in an hotel room :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Slightly cut down 3090 for the core, probably going to be running at 350watts, will magically come in around the same price point as the MSRP of the 6900xt I guess. And most likely still a waste of money, if the market wasn't in such a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

spix wrote: »
    So howd this go?

I cancelled it. I know some people got it, but I was already getting too much of my money being held in the wrong places - took me 1.5 months to get the money back from Viking for example

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bitcoin took a 14% nosedive last night. If it keeps going that way there could be a lot more cards on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bitcoin took a 14% nosedive last night. If it keeps going that way there could be a lot more cards on the market.

I heard a number of references to "dodgecoin" on a mainstream radio station at the weekend, and that sort of stuff is usually a strong sell signal. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lumen wrote: »
    I heard a number of references to "dodgecoin" on a mainstream radio station at the weekend, and that sort of stuff is usually a strong sell signal. :D

Yeah. I looked up the doge coin value as well since it had jumped so much but its worth so little that a massive percentage jump still means it's worthless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I get the optimism about the bitcoin drop but it's still at a level it only first touched just over a month ago and has recovered about 7% from it's low of the last day (a low which was higher than anything seen before late February).

Ethereum is far more relevant to the gpu situation, it's down about 11% from it's peak on Friday but still higher than anything seen before April 13th and has also recovered about 7% from it's low yesterday. I'd guess it needs to drop a third or a half or probably more from where it is now to have enough gpu miners dropping cards to make any noticeable impact on the gpu market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah. I looked up the doge coin value as well since it had jumped so much but its worth so little that a massive percentage jump still means it's worthless :D

It's a literal joke currency, it has zero redeeming features as crypto. The face that on two separate occasions it has come into the mainstream is a good example of a bull run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

I would argue that the doggo is the only redeeming feature this crypto has, or any other crypto for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Not worthless to people who got in early and sold high,not worthless at all.

I agree its a meme stock but man,some people made a lot of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

That's not how it works. It doesn't matter how much it's worth, just the percentage and market cap. Both of which are high. If you invested €100 euro in January, you'd have nearly 8,000 by now (7,908% YTD). If you invested 10k last week, you would have 70k now (600% WTD). Percentages man! The amount in circulation means taking that money out wouldn't affect the price too much either.

minitrue wrote: »
    Ethereum is far more relevant to the gpu situation, it's down about 11% from it's peak on Friday but still higher than anything seen before April 13th and has also recovered about 7% from it's low yesterday. I'd guess it needs to drop a third or a half or probably more from where it is now to have enough gpu miners dropping cards to make any noticeable impact on the gpu market.

Although it is impossible to predict, when EIP 1559 comes in to place in July miners will probably earn 1/3 less Ethereum from mining. But it will also make the coin more scarce so this could drive the price up and mining may stay very profitable.

Giblet wrote: »
    That's not how it works. It doesn't matter how much it's worth, just the percentage and market cap. Both of which are high. If you invested €100 euro in January, you'd have nearly 8,000 by now (7,908% YTD). If you invested 10k last week, you would have 70k now (600% WTD). Percentages man! The amount in circulation means taking that money out wouldn't affect the price too much either.

True but you were a brave soul to invest in it the last few months. It was going no where. That or you got licmy buying it for the lolz. I doubt it's anything more than a blip with investors looking for another crypto when bitcoin and ethereum are looking shaky. Ethereum is usually only just behind the Bitcoin trend and will look shaky to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Lower BTC can also benefit GPU miners, if the Ethereum price remains high. You get paid in BTC, but mine ETH, so if BTC drops and ETH doesn't, you get more BTC. If the price goes back up, happy days!

Giblet wrote: »
    Lower BTC can also benefit GPU miners, if the Ethereum price remains high. You get paid in BTC, but mine ETH, so if BTC drops and ETH doesn't, you get more BTC. If the price goes back up, happy days!

You only get paid in BTC on platforms that take a big cut though.
    It's far better to mine of one of the major Ethereum pools.

With all the changes Ethereum have planned in the future I can see it deviating(could be good or bad) more from the BTC price.

But all Crypto are inherently worthless, technically speaking,as you always need to exchange them with something else, pretty much like fiches in a Casino, and their exchange rate is so utterly volatile that you can't really hold any for very long.

If anything, the "joke" nature of Dogecoin manages to fully expose the the whole Cryptocurrency market as very little more than gambling, where the value of so-called "assets" is heavily influenced by things such as Twitter posts by celebrities and egomaniacs.

Anyway, I find it utterly sad that this bullsh1t about "crypto" appears more and more in a forums that are supposed to be about computer hardware as a hobby :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyway, I find it utterly sad that this bullsh1t about "crypto" appears more and more in a forums that are supposed to be about computer hardware as a hobby :(

Yeah the crypto shíte taking over every thread after it gets mentioned is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

But all Crypto are inherently worthless, technically speaking,as you always need to exchange them with something else, pretty much like fiches in a Casino, and their exchange rate is so utterly volatile that you can't really hold any for very long.

If anything, the "joke" nature of Dogecoin manages to fully expose the the whole Cryptocurrency market as very little more than gambling, where the value of so-called "assets" is heavily influenced by things such as Twitter posts by celebrities and egomaniacs.

I managed to ngaf about it for nearly a decade. Glad I never got into it at the beginning because I'm the kind of person that still thinks of and regrets unimportant things I did or said decades ago. I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I bought 100 Bitcoins in 2011 for €100 and spent it on Domino's Pizza ('Worth' nearly 6 Million Euro at its peak) Its paradoxical really. Bitcoin is just a giant Ponzi scheme if its not actually used as a currency but the people who actually 'used' it as intended in the early days are all likely experiencing various degrees of regret. :D

That said, I'm paying attention to it now because its one of the reasons GPU prices are so high and so hard to come buy. I've managed to get my hands on a RTX3090 in a prebuilt only 3 weeks after ordering but paid a hefty Premium (though not outright scalper prices). The old adage, "If you can't beat them, then join them", now has me researching Crypto-Mining to help pay off the high price of this PC. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm shifting my discussion and questions about from here away to the relevant forums on boards and reddit because I can see and totally understand why many don't want to hear it. Laughed when a Regular poster over on the Crypto forum was warned not to post about some mining rigs he was selling over here as he'd likely get eaten alive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cancelled :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Cancelled :(

Same. What a pain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Same. MSI canceling that particular card it appears from some threads online

• Advertisement
Advertisement