Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows attacking Buzzards -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they'll tackle red kites too.

549788.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Anyone know why the crows attack the buzzards?

Are the buzzards going after their young?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

crows are tough cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Their is an ongoing face off in my back garden for some time now between a Crow and a Black Cat, the cat stands on the top of the wall and the Crow spreads his wings and slowly advances towards the Cat, the Cat stays until the Crow starts to flap his wings and come towards him and he is off, I will have to try and get a video. But he is certainly one tough cookie would the Cat be able for him.

• Advertisement

Brave Crow. The thing about wild birds is they live on the edge most of the time, get enough to eat (and very regularly), survive predation, keep condition to beat off disease and parasites. While a very brief squabble might do little harm, any injury at all to the bird would likely be the end of him within a fairly short period of time. The cat could lick his wounds and hang tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

A couple of years ago I had a situation of a pair of ravens building a nest in some Scots Pine behind me, only for over a couple of days, a pair of buzzards got interested and started to claim the nest for themselves. This culmnated in a tagteam aerial battle with the four of them one day.....only for a pair of grey crows to show up and join in the fight! Really amazng stuffto see the six of them at each other. And all I can say is, a week later, the grey crows were sitting on the nest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

I've regularly seen swallows chasing away buzzards over the years.
    Just this morning i seen two mistle thrushes attack a grey crow who keeps landing on their ash tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Have seen swallows and jackdaws mobbing buzzards.

Have read that birds make up a larger proportion of buzzards diets in Ireland than say on the continent where there is a bigger variety of mammals to prey on.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

In reverse ive seen a merlin attacking a raven much bigger than it, entertaining to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭friedcircuits

Is it because Buzzards go after their young?

I always see it happen a lot, here’s a quick video from earlier today.

https://twitter.com/bobbysands81/status/1380837624395497474?s=21

A couple of weeks ago I heard awful commotion from the rookery a field or two away (200-300m). Crows going mad but I heard buzzards mews but couldn't see them. Turned out after watching for abit - two buzzards flew away from rookery one with a full grown crow and landed in trees about 100m from rookery. As they flew away with that crow the whole place went silent. Mad stuff never seen it before.

Advertisement