Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrated freezer issue

Options
  • 12-04-2021 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

We got a kitchen renovation job done 18 months ago. Part of the work involved the installation of an integrated freezer. Recently we noticed a slightly louder than humming noise from same, called the manufacturer, who sent out an engineer. I wasn't there when he called, but he informed herself that the unit required ventilation at the rear as there was nowhere for any gases to escape, hence ice would build up, causing the unit to malfunction. So I contacted the builder, who called around this morning, will try and resolve the issue as best he can, but said that he'd never heard of this before. Anyone else hear of anything similar, or have any relatable issues? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

rushfan wrote: »
    We got a kitchen renovation job done 18 months ago. Part of the work involved the installation of an integrated freezer. Recently we noticed a slightly louder than humming noise from same, called the manufacturer, who sent out an engineer. I wasn't there when he called, but he informed herself that the unit required ventilation at the rear as there was nowhere for any gases to escape, hence ice would build up, causing the unit to malfunction. So I contacted the builder, who called around this morning, will try and resolve the issue as best he can, but said that he'd never heard of this before. Anyone else hear of anything similar, or have any relatable issues? Thanks in advance.

Yes fridges require ventilation of the coil at the rear of the fridge. It will impact on the effectiveness of the fridge, it should have a vent in the kicker board, open back on the unit and open or vent at the top.

If not done right it can cause the compressor to run more, use more energy and reduce the life span. That said it shouldn't cause ice to build up, if anything the fridge won't be as effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Yes fridges require ventilation of the coil at the rear of the fridge. It will impact on the effectiveness of the fridge, it should have a vent in the kicker board, open back on the unit and open or vent at the top.

If not done right it can cause the compressor to run more, use more energy and reduce the life span. That said it shouldn't cause ice to build up, if anything the fridge won't be as effective.
    Thanks for the reply, just to be certain, it's the freezer unit as opposed to the fridge. There is a vent at the bottom, at the kick board, but I've no idea if there is an open back on the cabinet unit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

rushfan wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, just to be certain, it's the freezer unit as opposed to the fridge. There is a vent at the bottom, at the kick board, but I've no idea if there is an open back on the cabinet unit or not.

You'll need to check out the back, but as there is a vent in the kicker board, it is likely open. What's at the top as you want to have natural convection?

Service technicians will often blame ventilation of the rear condenser coil, even if it's not the issue

You'll need to check out the back, but as there is a vent in the kicker board, it is likely open. What's at the top as you want to have natural convection?

Service technicians will often blame ventilation of the rear condenser coil, even if it's not the issue

There's a shelf type unit on top, doubtful it's open but I'll check when I'm home. And I also understand that engineers will sometimes try to deflect from the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

The engineer that called hadnt a clue about refrigeration if that is what he told her, if gas had leaked from the unit it would be curtains. it highly unlikely that its circulation either, is it frost free or regular with ice build up

• Advertisement

The engineer that called hadnt a clue about refrigeration if that is what he told her, if gas had leaked from the unit it would be curtains. it highly unlikely that its circulation either, is it frost free or regular with ice build up

Hi, thanks for the reply, it's frost free. Seems to be behaving itself again. The builder is due to return & reinstate a vent to the outer wall just in case. The unit is still under warranty, so at least if there's any more issues, they have been made aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Being frost free what caused the noise is the circulating fan rubbing off an ice build up. This will happen if the door is left slightly ajar allowing a temp rise, the compressor will run until it achieves the correct temp but in doing so creates a build up of ice in the evaporator and eventually touching the fan, the fact that it sounds ok again indicates it defrosted somewhat, it may need need a manual defrost if it happens again. Check that the integrated outer door isn’t binding on the cabinet as you close it .

Advertisement