Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric induction replace with gas hob

Options
  • 18-03-2021 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have an electric hob. Its on the blink (control panel errors). There is a pipe that looks capped underneath also for the gas. So I am thinking of replacing it with a gas hob. Now I think the gas hobs also uses electric spark etc. Just wondering if single trademan would be able to do the replacement. i.e. gas service/eng tyep person

Any recommendations on gas hobs also (4 ring standard size)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Madness I say, madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭SteM

We had been talking about doing the same thing when we get the kitchen done. Any particular reason that it's madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

SteM wrote: »
    We had been talking about doing the same thing when we get the kitchen done. Any particular reason that it's madness?

For me I am not sure why they (original owner) went with induction hob. Much rather cooking with gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rightmove wrote: »
    For me I am not sure why they (original owner) went with induction hob. Much rather cooking with gas.
    I'm the opposite, I have an induction hob and far prefer it to gas, just as controllable but way easier to keep clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭SteM

We have an induction hob that was here when we moved in so it's over 15 years old now. They seem to take a long time to cool down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

We have an induction hob that was here when we moved in so it's over 15 years old now. They seem to take a long time to cool down.

I think it depends on the hob. I had a neff one in my old house that heated quicker than gas, cooled almost instantly and would only heat if pot was on it. Loved it. So easy to clean.

yeah I dont like that either. Also I have a good steak pan and few pots I cannot use on it. Alot of the gas hobs now have a ring that is also suitable for woks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

A standard or extended gas hob will fit the cut out, buy one of the better known brands ideally with cast iron pot rests, you will also have to decide town gas if available or bottled. You will also need an RGI to connect it up, the igniter connection should be no bother for him.

A standard or extended gas hob will fit the cut out, buy one of the better known brands ideally with cast iron pot rests, you will also have to decide town gas if available or bottled. You will also need an RGI to connect it up, the igniter connection should be no bother for him.

well had a look and there is a capped pipe so with the heating being gas I can go that route. I agree not to take the first hob that comes in cheap.

I managed to fix the induction hob (the last thing I tried !) and its working now but I still have plans to remove it permanently.

bloke in the shop said the gas installer needs to issue a certificate that the hob was installed correctly. I only thought you needed to have a registered gas guy to do the work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wouldnt go near a gas hob, the mess compared to induction is unreal, cleaning is a total PITA.

I have never had any issues with the hob taking long to cool down, are you sure you arent leaving hot things on it?

GreeBo wrote: »
    I wouldnt go near a gas hob, the mess compared to induction is unreal, cleaning is a total PITA.

I have never had any issues with the hob taking long to cool down, are you sure you arent leaving hot things on it?

Had gas before and now induction. Gas is far superior to cook with and dont like the induction hob.

Just wondering what the bloke in the shop was on about in relation to a certificate from the gas installer. Blabbing on about house insurance etc etc . I told him I was getting a register gas installer to do the work..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The RGI may insist on seeing a certificate from the original gas installer that put in the pipes before they do the work. Forget about the guy in the shop blabbing though, he may have been trying to discourage you to get you to buy a more expensive hob. Just ask the RGI yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

Any RGI will install the hob and certify it. It is a legal requirement now. I had a plumber doing another job for me and he said he wouldn’t touch a gas installation anymore, even a simple thing like connecting a job.

ratracer wrote: »
    Any RGI will install the hob and certify it. It is a legal requirement now. I had a plumber doing another job for me and he said he wouldn’t touch a gas installation anymore, even a simple thing like connecting a job.

Thanks, nice to have an idea before I ring my gas guy as to what to expect.

Had gas before and now induction. Gas is far superior to cook with and dont like the induction hob.

Superior in what way? At wasting energy?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Gas seems to cook food quicker but I hate cleaning the spills on a gas stove removing the grate etc such a pain. I remember 25 years ago when a pot or kettle would boil over sometimes the gas would remain on without getting cut off until it was smelled. Many a time you might forget the kettle was on and find the gas hob on spewing out gas. Is there any chance a modern gas hob would allow that?

Gas seems to cook food quicker but I hate cleaning the spills on a gas stove removing the grate etc such a pain. I remember 25 years ago when a pot or kettle would boil over sometimes the gas would remain on without getting cut off until it was smelled. Many a time you might forget the kettle was on and find the gas hob on spewing out gas. Is there any chance a modern gas hob would allow that?

For years the gas supply will cut out if the flame goes out (which causes the thermocouple to cool down)

If you have the right pans an induction hob will be quicker since its more efficient than gas. The energy goes into the base of the pan and not up the sides or into the air.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Superior in what way? At wasting energy?;)

Is there a big difference cost wise?

Interesting post Geebo - I have alot of pans that I cannot use on the induction hob also

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone saying gas is quicker at cooking or cools down quicker than induction has not used a newer induction hob with the proper pans or pots.

They may have been poor or crapper 15 years ago. But the models out now are night and day.

Neff or Bosch have superb offerings and much better all round than a gas cooker.

• Advertisement

Is there a big difference cost wise?

Interesting post Geebo - I have alot of pans that I cannot use on the induction hob also

Gas are typically cheaper to buy and run, though that depends on if you have a gas supply already or not.
    But a gas hob isnt as efficient to run as an induction hob as it wastes more energy. With gas ~50% of the energy is going astray, with induction its 5-10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Interesting views re induction versus gas. We're about to make a call on it. We both like cooking with gas. I'm drawn to the induction as easier to clean, gas is a pain. Herself doesn't like induction, the inlaws have one and the buttons are a pain, to be fair - not sensitive enough, dont respond. Are the controls for induction hob typically annoying or fiddly?

Interesting views re induction versus gas. We're about to make a call on it. We both like cooking with gas. I'm drawn to the induction as easier to clean, gas is a pain. Herself doesn't like induction, the inlaws have one and the buttons are a pain, to be fair - not sensitive enough, dont respond. Are the controls for induction hob typically annoying or fiddly?

My wife keeps putting all the saucepans on the button and it goes into error. That cant be fixed..she will keep doing it. Anytime we had gas with manual nobs on the hobs this couldnt happen. I also rather gas. Ever see a restaurant not use gas??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ever see a restaurant not use gas??
    A lot of professional kitchens use induction hobs these days actually. They're pretty heavy duty pieces of kit with physical knobs though. You can also get induction wok hobs with a concave surface to match the curve of the wok.

For example ...

https://eurokera.com/blog/professional-chefs-love-induction-cooking-and-you-should-too/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

My wife keeps putting all the saucepans on the button and it goes into error. That cant be fixed..she will keep doing it. Anytime we had gas with manual nobs on the hobs this couldnt happen. I also rather gas. Ever see a restaurant not use gas??

This is exactly what happens when she uses her mum's hob. Not sure i could face years of....this doesn't work properly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I went from gas to a modern Miele induction hob and absolutely hated it . Induction is easier to clean but you need to be more careful with it too. Cooking is much easier and nicer on gas . I do prefer the induction hob when it comes to safety and letting the 6 and 7 year old cook. They can cook omelettes and scramble eggs which I am not sure I would let them do on gas.

What did you hate? In what way do you need to be more careful?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Has anyone figured out how to keep a pot of tea warm on an induction hob...for me it seems to bubble up the tea even at the lowest setting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

I like my gas hob, I changed it year or two ago after last one went down to just one working ring, in fairness it was nearly 30 yrs old. As I've never had electric or induction I've never given a thought to cleaning as I'm used to just lifting the racks and giving it a rub, it's not a major issue unless you're letting stuff spill or boil over.

I spent years working in hotel kitchen so may have coloured my view, I have an electric oven though as preference for baking.

Only thing I dislike about my new hob and dislike is even too strong a word really is it's much noisier than it's predecessor, you know the gas is on as the burners while not loud it is an actual sound compared to electric. Now it has safety feature the old one never had so can't complain really!

• Advertisement
Advertisement