Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop blackbird building nest in back garden

• 27-03-2021 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Just caught resident female flying into a bush in back garden with some plastic (of all things) and a few leaves. Have a crazy jack russell who has free access to back garden using dog flap so reckon it could be carnage when the little fledglings are learning to fly. I shook the bush a few times when she was in there but shes persistently going back. If the dog wasnt there itd be perfect,Id love to be observing amd feel honoured in a way:-) Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Can you build a fence or barrier around the bush?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Can you build a fence or barrier around the bush?

Fence the spot off with temporary chickenwire and don’t let your dog kill the fledgelings.

Dosn’t nature have enough obstacles without you terrorising a bird from the home it build while it is trying to nest and trying to destroy its home. Imagine how terrified it must have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The problem is that blackbird fledglings, moreso than most garden birds, spend a lot of the time hopping around on the ground and are very vulnerable to attack. I'm not sure what you can do really apart from checking the garden before letting the dog out once they fledge. Does the dog have form catching birds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

What is the issue you want to stop? The plastic? Does the dog bark loudly when he sees the bird? Or you worried he will kill the birds?

If you wanted fine close netting to cover the bush might help deter the bird.

Why not leave them be, they are not definitely going to be killed by the dog. It would be a pity to delay the bird so far into Spring. Let nature fend for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Jesus i didnt expect to be attacked- terrorising it? I rustled the leaves a bit and it was with good intentions. In my defence,Im passionate about wildlife and a vegan. Ive been known to cry if i see a bird killed on the road . Cant believe Im defending myself to strangers online.

Anyway back to the issue. I'm just really worried the dog will kill the fledglings . The post about how baby blackbirds hop around the ground alot is really useful as highlights the dangers. Maybe for the week or so that theyre learning to fly , I can close off dog flap and make sure no birds on the ground before leave dogs out ? Is there little risk of the fledglings leaving nest while dogs are outside for 5 minutes ? Do they only leave the nest under the mothers instructions or could they be hopping out off their own bat , at least if she saw the dogs outside, she'd be clued in enough not to let them leave at that moment?

Jack russell is already overly interested in birds in the garden, has killed our cat etc. Am torn what to do.If dog wasnt an issue , its an ideal spot as no cats, big high wall around the garden etc, steady supply.of food and water for the mother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seefin wrote: »
    Jack russell is already overly interested in birds in the garden, has killed our cat etc.
    You're not going to like this suggestion, but maybe that dog needs a new home...

You're not going to like this suggestion, but maybe that dog needs a new home...

Don't under how that's solving anything, short of rehoming to a house where no greenery or earth in the garden so birds wouldn't be inclined to hang out there . He about 14 years now so little chance of rehoming even it would help the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

That's a rather bizarre suggestion.

A person is trying to do their best for some wild birds in their garden and your solution to the problem is for them to get rid of their 14 year old dog?

Am i missing something with the logic here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was the comment that the dog also killed their cat which prompted that. personally, i wouldn't hold on to a pet which had killed other pets.

Jesus i didnt expect to be attacked- terrorising it? I rustled the leaves a bit and it was with good intentions. In my defence,Im passionate about wildlife and a vegan. Ive been known to cry if i see a bird killed on the road . Cant believe Im defending myself to strangers online.

Anyway back to the issue. I'm just really worried the dog will kill the fledglings . The post about how baby blackbirds hop around the ground alot is really useful as highlights the dangers. Maybe for the week or so that theyre learning to fly , I can close off dog flap and make sure no birds on the ground before leave dogs out ? Is there little risk of the fledglings leaving nest while dogs are outside for 5 minutes ? Do they only leave the nest under the mothers instructions or could they be hopping out off their own bat , at least if she saw the dogs outside, she'd be clued in enough not to let them leave at that moment?

Jack russell is already overly interested in birds in the garden, has killed our cat etc. Am torn what to do.If dog wasnt an issue , its an ideal spot as no cats, big high wall around the garden etc, steady supply.of food and water for the mother.

Aw sorry - I didn’t mean to upset you so much - but imagine you were a pregnant little bird all happy and cosy in your new little nest and a big hairy alien species yoke that normally lives inna secure brick box at the end of your garden came stomping down and shook your entire planet and glared in at you with its big mad shiney eyes and breathed all over you. You’d be a bit horrified.

As for the vegan defence - there’s no point not eating meat if you have a predator pet that kills your other pets and wants to get at the wildlife without checking and you scare the beyjasus out of the living nesting wildlife !!!

In fairness to you -you’re trying. Keep an eye on the dog and don’t let it near the nest - corner off the tree/bush will a wide bearth to keep the birds safe and don’t let the dog spook the birds by rushing at them or jumping on them. And don’t do it yerself either!!!

Temporary fence with simething from a skip or three posts hammered into the ground and chickenwire - -or you can do a fancy job if you’re feeling DIY’ish. Its a nice little honour for your garden to be chosen as a home for a little blackbird and her family - let her live and live in peace! You must have good quality worms!! No insecticide or pesticides either Mr chosen one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Blackbird fledglings can sometimes leave their nest earlier than they should, especially if they feel under threat and in addition to that when they fledge they can't fly. Most fledglings aren't great flyers at first but within a pretty short time they can at least flutter up into the lower branches of a tree or shrub to escape. Blackbird fledglings are unable to fly for a good few days after fledging, and in the mean time they just hide away in bushes and undergrowth, often calling to their parents to be fed. It also has to be said that blackbird parents can be very protective of their young at this stage and can often be seen up on fences etc. chirping extremely loudly at any perceived predators like dogs or cats, I've even seen them swooping at and attacking cats that have come too close for their liking. Even when they can fly they'll hang around for a few weeks and then leave the area altogether.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

it was the comment that the dog also killed their cat which prompted that. personally, i wouldn't hold on to a pet which had killed other pets.

Yeah I wondered if that was misworded thing, as in it takes birds the cat has killed, but if it's killed your cat, i wouldn't be keeping it. Sorry

Aw sorry - I didn’t mean to upset you so much - but imagine you were a pregnant little bird all happy and cosy in your new little nest and a big hairy alien species yoke that normally lives inna secure brick box at the end of your garden came stomping down and shook your entire planet and glared in at you with its big mad shiney eyes and breathed all over you. You’d be a bit horrified.

As for the vegan defence - there’s no point not eating meat if you have a predator pet that kills your other pets and wants to get at the wildlife without checking and you scare the beyjasus out of the living nesting wildlife !!!

In fairness to you -you’re trying. Keep an eye on the dog and don’t let it near the nest - corner off the tree/bush will a wide bearth to keep the birds safe and don’t let the dog spook the birds by rushing at them or jumping on them. And don’t do it yerself either!!!

Temporary fence with simething from a skip or three posts hammered into the ground and chickenwire - -or you can do a fancy job if you’re feeling DIY’ish. Its a nice little honour for your garden to be chosen as a home for a little blackbird and her family - let her live and live in peace! You must have good quality worms!! No insecticide or pesticides either Mr chosen one!!!

Garden is just a small patio with borders sp no chance to cordon any off as couldn't easily put fence on concrete paving? Neither i nor partner are any good at diy so no use there. Even putting up chicken wire as some suggested beyond us, we dont even have a hammer.
    Blackbid osnt sitting in her nest, shes only started building this morning so could be discouraged at this stage if thats the safest option for the fledglings..Its not too late to encourage her to move

Alun wrote: »
    Blackbird fledglings can sometimes leave their nest earlier than they should, especially if they feel under threat and in addition to that when they fledge they can't fly. Most fledglings aren't great flyers at first but within a pretty short time they can at least flutter up into the lower branches of a tree or shrub to escape. Blackbird fledglings are unable to fly for a good few days after fledging, and in the mean time they just hide away in bushes and undergrowth, often calling to their parents to be fed. It also has to be said that blackbird parents can be very protective of their young at this stage and can often be seen up on fences etc. chirping extremely loudly at any perceived predators like dogs or cats, I've even seen them swooping at and attacking cats that have come too close for their liking. Even when they can fly they'll hang around for a few weeks and then leave the area altogether.

Ok no, ita not safe to have them in the garden if theyre going to be on the ground
    for a few days. I could cut back the honeysuckle now and hope she finds another garden,although maybe she'll just move to another part of it. What a dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Leave the bloody bird alone.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah I wondered if that was misworded thing, as in it takes birds the cat has killed, but if it's killed your cat, i wouldn't be keeping it. Sorry

So you'd put the dog to sleep ? As rehoming not am option , and anyway isnt that just passing on the problem to someone else.?

Leave the bloody bird alone.

mods ,can ye close the thread, ill try contact birdwatch Ireland and ask their advise. I assumed that only animal lovers would be posting in the nature thread, which was a mistake

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

mods ,can ye close the thread, ill try contact birdwatch Ireland and ask their advise. I assumed that only animal lovers would be posting in the nature thread, which was a mistake

Can you talk to the bird ?

Discuss the issue ?

Tredstone. wrote: »
    Can you talk to the bird ?

Discuss the issue ?

Is your name dick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Only real option is to keep the dog in the house for a couple of weeks when the fledglings are at their most vulnerable.

Or for the couple of weeks you'll have to check the ground before releasing him into the garden each time and supervise him.

You'll have to increase his walks out the front door and tire him out a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Yeah, you ask a valid question on here and get tagged/attacked/etc for having the decency to ask a question!

I was just going to say, I have tweeted Birdwatch Ireland and they are very good with their advice. I asked them a question about a bird feeder before and they came back with some great advice which helped the uptake in my bird feeder. Tweet them with a picture of the hedge, etc. You'll get better advice than on here anyway! :D

(If you can fence off the hedge, etc from the dog, to me that seems the best solution though).

In fairness - he’s out shaking a nesting bird from the tree, has a predatory pet that has killed another pet that - the same one he won’t manage to keep another set of animals safe from harm.

If the back garden is so small then just focus on letting the dog only out on a long lead that can’t reach the birds nest and walk it more so it’s not relying in being in the small confined concrete back yard for stimulation & exercise. Not too tricky. You could rig up something if you wanted but you’re not going down that route. the most easy solution would be the one suggested above with a bit of washing line or rope or long lead when you are out having your coffee with the dog in the yard/garden. Dog gets out, you get coffee, bird gets to nest in safety and live - dog gets nice long walks that stimulates him with his owner - owners fit and healthy and exercised too - everyone’s a humanitarin/winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I’ve birds nesting in our garage and outhouses.
    I would never disturb them and we’ve cats and a dog around.
    It’s bad karma.

In fairness - he’s out shaking a nesting bird from the tree, has a predatory pet that has killed another pet that - the same one he won’t manage to keep another set of animals safe from harm.

If the back garden is so small then just focus on letting the dog only out on a long lead that can’t reach the birds nest and walk it more so it’s not relying in being in the small confined concrete back yard for stimulation & exercise. Not too tricky. You could rig up something if you wanted but you’re not going down that route. the most easy solution would be the one suggested above with a bit of washing line or rope or long lead when you are out having your coffee with the dog in the yard/garden. Dog gets out, you get coffee, bird gets to nest in safety and live - dog gets nice long walks that stimulates him with his owner - owners fit and healthy and exercised too - everyone’s a humanitarin/winner.

The dogs are walked 2 hours a day. The jack russell is elderly and while as lively as a pup ,needs to pee alot so the dog flap means no accidents indoors. ''Has a predatory pet', that's so funny, it's not like I have any choice about what to do short of putting the dog to sleep. Is that your solution for me ?As for shaking a bird from a tree, if it's going to save the chicks lives, consider it a good thing to do. Hasn't scared the blackbird , she's used to me by now and has no fear of me
    Anyway I'll check in to see if previous poster hears back from birdwatch.Thats really helpful

As a total aside, realized that Boards.ie is one of the worst forums as it covers every topic so randomers who have no particular passion for a topic can come across a post and throw in their tuppance worth.

a big hairy alien species yoke !!

Tell us how you really feel......

Yes and he's admitting that isn't the solution and he's asking for advice on what best to do - stop being so self-righteous and outraged unnecessarily.

As a total aside, realized that Boards.ie is one of the worst forums as it covers every topic so randomers who have no particular passion for a topic can come across a post and throw in their tuppance worth.

I completely agree - I had the cheek to ask about starting body weight exercises and the responses were ridiculous and unhelpful. Only a couple of posters actually offered anything constructive - the thread quickly got side-tracked into a petty squabble.

it's worth mentioning that you asked for this advice on a wildlife forum; so expect many of the answers you get to favour the wildlife rather than the dog. it's not about not being animal lovers.
    sure, you got some bad faith responses, but not all responses which you didn't like were made in bad faith.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note:

It's illegal to interfere with an active nest, no matter how good your intentions are. Once that female Blackbird started bringing in nest material, it became an active nest site. Shaking the tree to discourage her is therefore in breach of the Wildlife Act.

OP, you should leave the Blackbird alone. Let it nest. As has been said, the only real worry period is the first couple of days after the chicks leave the nest and aren't great at flying. They might not even end up in your garden - could end up in a neighbouring garden. But if they do end up in your garden, then you just need to moderate your dogs access to the garden for a couple of days. Not the end of the world.

Also, don't be tempted to check on the nest- that's more likely to cause the chicks to leave the nest prematurely, and you'll end up with flighless chicks running around your garden for a much longer period than if their fledging is left up to them.

Thread Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement