Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel the Irish govt has handled Brexit ? Are you happy with them?

Options
  • 06-12-2019 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

Do you feel they are prepared and the details have been discussed enough?

I think the media as talking about brexit too much but about the actual factual implications too little.

I think Enda Kenny has his finger much more on the pulse of brexit. I think he did a better job of communicating with the EU.

I feel Varadkar just lets the British get their say in with the EU and leaves us out in the cold.

What do you think of how the Irish govt and the Irish are handling brexit?

How do you think the Irish people want it handled by the govt? How do you want it handled by the Irish govt?

Also sorry for another brexit thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Perfectly happy with the outcome.

We got what we wanted. No physical border on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I think they've their heads stuck in the sand. There was a lot of 'there'll be no border on the island of Ireland, and that's that' with no appreciation of the reality of the situation....
    What does the deal we have now say? has there been any preparations for any checks at ports or near the border? any plans drawn up for cross-border industries?
    It seems to have gone quiet since the extension was agreed and the election was announced (or maybe I just switched off listening to the whole thing... tbh I can't even remember the details of the deal that was agreed)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Perfectly happy with the outcome.

We got what we wanted. No physical border on the island.

It depends on who you listen to.

Also IS THAT WHAT ALL WE WANTED?

We were never really asked were we?

We were never asked if we liked the deal the EU were giving to the british or what we thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Do you feel they are prepared and the details have been discussed enough?

I think the media as talking about brexit too much but about the actual factual implications too little.

I think Enda Kenny has his finger much more on the pulse of brexit. I think he did a better job of communicating with the EU.

I feel Varadkar just lets the British get their say in with the EU and leaves us out in the cold.

What do you think of how the Irish govt and the Irish are handling brexit?

How do you think the Irish people want it handled by the govt? How do you want it handled by the Irish govt?

Also sorry for another brexit thread.

It isn’t a Brexit thread. It is an electioneering thread.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It isn’t a Brexit thread. It is an electioneering thread.
    Its not I have no horse in that race.

I don't think i would like to see Martin as Leader of this country ....i think he is too dumb to take up this gauntlet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If only there was a forum for Politics, or for people's opinions on current affairs...

If only there was a forum for Politics, or for people's opinions on current affairs...
    Mods can move it if they see fit.

here's a summary of the deal, and what it means

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50083026

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Its not I have no horse in that race.

Enda Kenny was Taoiseach for a year after the Brexit vote. He did none of the heavy lifting regarding Brexit negotiations. I think Kenny was a Taoiseach of principle and integrity but was weak in Europe.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

here's a summary of the deal, and what it means

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50083026

Thank you so much!
    Legally there will be a customs border between Northern Ireland (which stays in the UK) and the Republic of Ireland (which stays in the EU), but in practice things won't be checked on that border.

Honestly I think the govt haven't paid much attention to the idea of a legal customs border. They don't live in the real world and don't understand the legal customs border will affect businesses. The law is as real as a physical border it affects people's lives as much. And the idea that the peace process won't react to that is naive. Only a politician could be that naive.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Enda Kenny was Taoiseach for a year after the Brexit vote. He did none of the heavy lifting regarding Brexit negotiations. I think Kenny was a Taoiseach of principle and integrity but was weak in Europe.

I disagree. He went and made sure all EU leaders were aware of the Peace process and the history of the troubles.

He spoke the EPP (which was a clever thing to do tactically) the IIEA etc

He did the networking ...Varadkar doesn't seem to understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The current 'deal' will result in massive civil unrest both up north and in the UK.

The current 'deal' will result in massive civil unrest both up north and in the UK.
    That's what I think.

All this talk of a physical border is missing the point ..there is no PHYSICAL border on the island ....there is a manmade one made by laws ..so saying you will have no physical border while you have a legal border MAKES NO SENSE!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I think...

... I think you're aching for a go at the government and want support for it by posting here.

You're not going to get it, as evidenced by the replies.

Tool. Pretty much the only thing they've done well, Leo and Coveney particuarly have played a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

That's what I think.

All this talk of a physical border is missing the point ..there is no PHYSICAL border on the island ....there is a manmade one made by laws ..so saying you will have no physical border while you have a legal border MAKES NO SENSE!:confused:

It depends whether the legal differences require people and / or goods to be stopped and checked at the border.

There are already many legal differences between NI and Ireland today that don’t impact on the border.

I think the Irish government has done a pretty good job in pretty dreadful circumstances so far. But it’s a long way from over.

quokula wrote: »
    It depends whether the legal differences require people and / or goods to be stopped and checked at the border.

There are already many legal differences between NI and Ireland today that don’t impact on the border.
    They aren't customs differences though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It ain't over yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Since Brexit hasn't happened yet, the question is premature.

All this talk of a physical border is missing the point ..there is no PHYSICAL border on the island ....there is a manmade one made by laws

'physical border' meaning customs posts and checks on major roads, some closed roads on minor crossings, I don't think anyone's suggesting we dig a canal, build a wall, or somehow have an impenetrable mountain range suddenly spring up ...

'physical border' meaning customs posts and checks on major roads, some closed roads on minor crossings, I don't think anyone's suggesting we dig a canal, build a wall, or somehow have an impenetrable mountain range suddenly spring up ...

I don't think you are getting the implications of a customs border legal or otherwise on business on this island. It will mean job losses and the closure of businesses.

Not to mention the loss of business with the UK. We will probably have a recession too.

• Advertisement

yeah, that's what they mean by 'physical border' (unless you count Johnson's attempt to fudge this with a 'customs zone' scenario, which seemed to be pure bollocks, tbh)

I don't think you are getting the implications of a customs border legal or otherwise on business on this island. It will mean job losses and the closure of businesses.

Not to mention the loss of business with the UK. We will probably have a recession too.

Do you understand that there is absolutely no good and realistic option. Stop bitching and propose a solution the Brits would go for.

This is what Brexit is. Our government hasn't dropped the ball here in any way that I can see.

This is what Brexit is. Our government hasn't dropped the ball here in any way that I can see.

I think they pushed their own preferred outcome (Island of Britain exits the EU, NI stays in in all but name) and ignored the political realities of the situation, I don't think there was much preparation for anything other than a more 'united' Ireland

I think they pushed their own preferred outcome (Island of Britain exits the EU, NI stays in in all but name) and ignored the political realities of the situation, I don't think there was much preparation for anything other than a more 'united' Ireland

The political reality is that there couldn't be a hard border and the proposed deal avoids that and instead splits the UK. Since Ireland and the EU will never sign off a hard border, I don't really know what preparations you think they should be making.

Will it affect business? Sure. As would any deal that makes in through the House of Commons. I find that a lot of the complaining in general just ignores this reality.. People moan as of the Irish missed an easy way out or could have done better with different leadership. When asked how, they're clueless.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So far, I think they've handled it excellently. Varadkar and Coveney have behaved in a classy, dignified manner, which offers a stark contrast to across the Irish sea. I think they've represented the Irish people very well, and their position has been fair, consistent, reasonable and unwavering. Wasn't a huge fan of either before this year but they've both shot way up in my estimation for the way they've handled all the nonsense that's been thrown at them by some factions of both the British government and gutter press. So to answer the OP's question, yeah I'm very happy with the Irish government and how they've handled Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think they're a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

I think we dropped the ball with Varadkar boasting, of the great deal secured with Threasa May in December 17 I think. Which was before all had being signed off on, allowing Arlene Foster. to veto said deal.

He was too quick out of the blocks to claim victory antagonising the DUP.

Pocaide wrote: »
    I think we dropped the ball with Varadkar boasting, of the great deal secured with Threasa May in December 17 I think. Which was before all had being signed off on, allowing Arlene Foster. to veto said deal.

He was too quick out of the blocks to claim victory antagonising the DUP.

Isn't that the deal that May didn't even tell the DUP about? Like May got the phonecall from them while she was in Europe?

Do you understand that there is absolutely no good and realistic option. Stop bitching and propose a solution the Brits would go for.

All our government has done is say 'Its up to the British to sort this out'. And the reason they have done that is they don't want to go to the expense of having to hire people to find out what WILL work.

They have dropped the ball and passed to the british to handle and come up with a solution. And you can't say they haven't.

The line has been 'Its the UK govts responsibility'. Another line might be the Irish govt has renegaded on its own responsibility to fully take part in the solution in every aspect possible.

Its about saving their own reputations and face. Its not good enough.

If the uk DOES leave its going to come down to regulatory divergence. One solution might be to make sure its incredibly moderate in divergence.

One problem with that is regulations for customs can be transitory. One advantage is it might be easier to convince unionists that they can be semi divergent in customs regulations from the rest of the UK.

Another idea might be that private businesses adopt voluntarily all eu regulations it can be self governing.

• Advertisement

Isn't that the deal that May didn't even tell the DUP about? Like May got the phonecall from them while she was in Europe?
    They are a tiny party that will be irrelevant to the UK govt after the next election the fact that they don't understand that shows how delusional they are.

I am not being disrespectful to unionists but the DUP have had their day in the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement