Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoners

Options
  • 04-12-2019 7:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Is it safer than alcohol? Would you support legalisation? I know a few daily stoners after a hard days working part time along with college and they aren't wasters. Same with alcoholics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Are you a stoner OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Is it safer than alcohol? Would you support legalisation? I know a few daily stoners after a hard days working part time along with college and they aren't wasters. Same with alcoholics.

Well like that's just your opinion,man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do you sit around coming up with inane questions? One being better or worse than the other doesn't make any difference. Avoid both, as you seem to have difficulties with all types of abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I think an Adult should have a choice on whatever they want to do

as long as it doesn't directly affect other people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

In moderation either one or the other can be enjoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Alcohol can make people violent, as you well know. But being a stoner can make people lose motivation and become lazy, as you also know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

As long as they aren't women.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If I had a joint every time this topic came up I'd put Howard Marks to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yup indulge a bit, I like space rock, psychedelia, a bit of prog, dub reggae and ska, a bit of noise, punk and metal, electronicia, deep space ambient rock, c3p0's mushroom madness, symphonies from the moon and what not. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

my guardbot brings all the stoners to the yard
    i can arrest you, but I'll have to charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Never seen an angry stoner, just hungry ones.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No way. I know it affects people differently but everyone I know that is a very regular weed smoker, all have some form of anxiety or depression or just some sort of hopelessness about them

I smoked it for a few years everyday from like 15-19 and it really ****ed with me tbh, killed lots of brain cells, made me develop anxiety and mild paranoia and also made me extremely lazy.

I stay away from it now and hate the sight and smell of it. Have loads of friends that still smoke it on the daily though, but again, half the time they are pretty dim.

I would support the likes of cbd oil with no thc to cure things like people having seizures, and pains, but the real thing is an absolute waste of time.

Now if I ever smoke a joint, I get very nervous and worry what to say etc, then again it could just be the **** in ireland :D I went to Amsterdam a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself smoking it. So who knows, everything in moderation I suppose

Id keep smoking weed for Amsterdam tbh.

But that's a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Do you sit around coming up with inane questions? One being better or worse than the other doesn't make any difference. Avoid both, as you seem to have difficulties with all types of abuse.

I was just about to defend the OP, then I realized this was the Op for the Beaumont thread also :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

No way. I know it affects people differently but everyone I know that is a very regular weed smoker, all have some form of anxiety or depression or just some sort of hopelessness about them

I smoked it for a few years everyday from like 15-19 and it really ****ed with me tbh, killed lots of brain cells, made me develop anxiety and mild paranoia and also made me extremely lazy.

I stay away from it now and hate the sight and smell of it. Have loads of friends that still smoke it on the daily though, but again, half the time they are pretty dim.

I would support the likes of cbd oil with no thc to cure things like people having seizures, and pains, but the real thing is an absolute waste of time.

Now if I ever smoke a joint, I get very nervous and worry what to say etc, then again it could just be the **** in ireland :D I went to Amsterdam a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself smoking it. So who knows, everything in moderation I suppose

But that's a no from me.

The trick is not to put too much in one joint, just put enough to get a nice light buzz. If you are getting stoned or paranoid then you are smoking too much. Just a pinch in a joint

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/12/04/willie-nelson-has-quit-marijuana-smoking-after-breathing-issues/2604719001/

Willie Nelson has quit weed ...for health reasons. He now says he was abusing his lungs.

You should be allowed do what you want to your body. However i think we need to be more honest about weed and its risks.

Its not going to be cool in 50 yrs. I think it will be like tobacco. Just seen as bad for your lungs or health whatever way you take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

But that's a no from me.
    Same here... I have friends who are stoners and who have very serious problems in their lives outside of the smoking, but they are totally unmotivated to make any changes to improve their situation.
    Not a smoker myself but have had tokes on occasion.
    I would prefer to be a stoner than an alcoholic though. I have severed friends due to their alcoholism (abusive behaviour) but never for overindulging in cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There is little doubt that it's not as bad as alcohol. For starters alcohol is toxic and THC isn't. You could actually kill yourself with an alcohol overdose. With weed you'd just fall asleep. Also no aggro with weed or pissing or puking over yourself. Is it good? No. Smoking isn't good and with everything else if you overdo it it can be damaging to yourself and your social interactions. But I have no doubt its not half as bad as alcohol overuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/12/04/willie-nelson-has-quit-marijuana-smoking-after-breathing-issues/2604719001/

Willie Nelson has quit weed ...for health reasons. He now says he was abusing his lungs.

talk about cherry picking something to suit an agenda

I took Marijuana ‘saved my life’ from that article, not a 86 year old man who can no longer do what he did in his youth.

Then if you look beyond the sensationalized headlines

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/arts-entertainment/willie-nelson-has-quit-smoking-weed-after-it-almost-killed-him

"Of course, just because he can’t smoke anymore doesn’t mean Willie can’t get high. As Nelson told Rolling Stone recently, he eats weed chocolates that his wife makes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

oh look a Fegelien thread about drugs and being cool and edgy

so new and refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Judging by my housemate, it makes you lazy as fook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

JJJJNR wrote: »
    In moderation either one or the other can be enjoyed.

Moderation is key. Now, I partake in my can-drinking in moderation with the odd dalliance with weed.

Perhaps Mr F could partake in starting threads in moderation. Or just take a break from it if he can't control his urges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Smokers might not be directly aggressive but try telling them you don't smoke and you don't have any cannabis, or mention that some smokers can be very nagging. It's the one personal preference some of them don't appreciate because they take it as a judgement.
    I think I'd prefer straight aggression to sly paranoia tbh.

To be fair though, your lifestyle plays a lot into that though. If you've got a group of people who you gets stoned with, play games, watch movies, etc, then it's easy to fall into a pattern of behavior with weed.

Whereas if most of your lifestyle is active, with a slight downtime for getting high, then the effects will be far different. It's similar to alcohol. It simply exaggerates certain emotions. Alcohol tends to exaggerate the more aggressive, excitable, and depressive emotional effects. Getting stoned affects the more lazy, demotivated aspects of your mind.

I still smoke occasionally, and it's very much a once or twice a year gig. As long as I have an active lifestyle, with other things going on, then smoking has little effect beyond that evening and a few days afterwards.

I'm not against weed. Properly supplied and sourced, I find it to be a far healthier option than many other "hobbies" people have. But anything taken to extremes is negative. That's the part that people tend to ignore.

Smokers might not be directly aggressive but try telling them you don't smoke and you don't have any cannabis, or mention that some smokers can be very nagging. It's the one personal preference some of them don't appreciate because they take it as a judgement.
    I think I'd prefer straight aggression to sly paranoia tbh.

Oddly enough, I've never encountered such a thing, and I know plenty of people who smoke weed on a regular basis. Most stoners I know are extremely patient with non-smokers. The only real paranoia I see is when munchies go missing. :D

I suspect your encounters are with smokers whose weed was mixed with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Could well have been, Klaz. But then one in particular is careful what she smokes and from what source but she freely admitted smoking makes her very paranoid. I don't need patience as such :) I have my drug of choice and I don't shove it down anyone's throat or make it my identity. All I expect is the same in return

Could well have been, Klaz. But then one in particular is careful what she smokes and from what source but she freely admitted smoking makes her very paranoid. I don't need patience as such :) I have my drug of choice and I don't shove it down anyone's throat or make it my identity. All I expect is the same in return

Oh. I get paranoid too. It's the reason why I tend to smoke alone or with just one or two friends. I never smoke outside or near crowds of strangers. There's other drugs for that. However, the aspect of shoving weed on someone else is something I've never encountered. I'm not saying it doesn't happen though. Younger people are far different now than I was at that age. People my age who smoke tend to be rather... languid about the whole activity, and very forgiving :D of those who don't partake.

As for making it ones identity... ahh well.. that's something that happens with a lot of things, many of which I wouldn't care much for myself. I never understood supporters of soccer teams for that reason. Their team becomes their identity, along with a degree of disdain for anyone not a supporter of the team or soccer in general. My own identity has always been that I feel very different from others. Each to their own, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

But that's a no from me.

You contradict yourself in this post multiple times. Have a mug of tv and go find yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

Yes let’s all become very healthy boring human beings. Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

Is it safer than alcohol? Would you support legalisation? ....

It's smoking, so it does damage your lungs. I would support weed being legalized.

I would have probably smoked an occasional joint, I liked the stuff they have in Amsterdam. But I won't go around trying to buy weed in Ireland, since I cannot risk even a minor criminal conviction in my circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement