Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolce Gusto Americano Pods - 10 boxes for €35

Options
  • 14-12-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Currently reduced from the usual €5.49 per box in Tescos to €4.50. Well, you can see where I'm going with this... 10 boxes for €35 with a €10 off €45 voucher featured elsewhere in BA. This is the cheapest I've ever been able to get them - usually €3.90 per box with a purchase of six is best, on Amazon. Should keep me in coffee til spring...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thought we did better with Amazon before.

There was a screwup in Tesco a few months ago where you could scan the brown cardboard outer and get 3 boxes for a pittance. Short lived.

Have you actually done it Seve?

I've tried three of those refillables with my machine. All failed horrendously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Lidl do Dolce Gusto compatible pods for a fair discount compared to the brand names. Not bad either I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

machalla wrote: »
    Lidl do Dolce Gusto compatible pods for a fair discount compared to the brand names. Not bad either I'm told.

I have used the Lidl ones and they taste good. But I got a new Dolce Gusto machine and since then the pods for the milk ones leak out all over the place. It's strange but worth trying anyway if they work then you'll save yourself some money.

• Advertisement

By the way:

Amazon is €3.70/box with the S&S discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Aldi also, the Lidl ones are ok but by comparison to the official ones they're not a patch, haven't tried the Aldi ones yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Does the dolce gusto give a hotter coffee than the Nespresso? I've had 2 Nespresso machines and the coffee is Luke warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

rob316 wrote: »
    Does the dolce gusto give a hotter coffee than the Nespresso? I've had 2 Nespresso machines and the coffee is Luke warm

I've a Nespresso at home and there's a DG in work.

I would say no they don't make hotter coffee, but I make my Nespresso by firstly microwaving my milk for 50secs then adding the coffee. It is not boiling that way but it is at drinking temp.

tbh I find the DG pods ridiculously expensive compared to Nespresso. I think the Nespresso coffees are about 3.50 for a sleeve of 10, where as DG is almost €6 for 16 if you go for americano and only 8!!! if you go for a cappuccino. Way more variation in coffee from Nespresso too and also more Nespresso compatible variations

Edited to add - if you buy the actual Nespresso pods these too are recyclable as you can drop bags (bags provided by Nespresso) of used pods back to the stores. That's what we do and almost every time I turn up to buy more coffee with my big bag of empties I am given something for free (once a whole sleeve! but most times a couple of loose pods or a box of little brownies/biscuits)

Aldi also, the Lidl ones are ok but by comparison to the official ones they're not a patch, haven't tried the Aldi ones yet

Never seen the ALDI one for Dolce Gusto, is that new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'm not saying Dolce Gusto is amazing coffee but at least it tastes something like coffee, those ones from Lidl and Aldi are criminal! They taste like spray paint and smell like cat píss :eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Miike wrote: »
    I'm not saying Dolce Gusto is amazing coffee but at least it tastes something like coffee, those ones from Lidl and Aldi are criminal! They taste like spray paint and smell like cat píss :eek::o

Sounds like most coffee to me not being a fan of it. Those that are told me they found it quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Seve OB wrote: »
    why bother with expensive pods?

Personally it's the whole mess of dealing with coffee powder, loading up one of the empty capsules, scraping off the overflow, then having to scrape it out after using and cleaning up the bits that will inevitably spill out on the table/floor (3 mins?)

vs

Insert capsule, press button, throw away capsule = total (15 seconds)

that I much prefer capsules these days

Incidentally the best Dolce Gusto I've ever tasted (and the only one I buy) is the Espresso Intenso

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nescafé-Dolce-Gusto-Espresso-Capsules/dp/B006EIBRUO/

Delicious... see if you can get it in Tesco with this deal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ED E wrote: »
    Have you actually done it Seve?

I've tried three of those refillables with my machine. All failed horrendously.

yep
    i have a few of them
    work grand

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Never seen the ALDI one for Dolce Gusto, is that new?

I've never seen them in Aldi either

I've never seen them in Aldi either

Was in East Wall Aldi on Saturday. They are available now, not bad, Lidl ones I may prefer but they no longer work on my machine and leak, latte, cappuccino, Americano available in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

In Aldi Turners Cross ( opposite the AIB Bank) yesterday.
    Full selection of DG capsules @ € 3.50 approx.
    Go in the door, first column on right . Middle row.

Thanks

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

have tried aldi and lidl ones.. as well as multiple ones from France where they are readily available in supermarket own brand for years. aldi/ lidl as good as main brand... ( americano or espresso cant speak for the milk based ones) . had a refill capsule and it was a complete balls of a thing.
    when time allows i use a grinder and plunger coffee pot. once you get the grind sorted it best of the lot

when time allows i use a grinder and plunger coffee pot. once you get the grind sorted it best of the lot

of course ... capsules are never going to beat beans to coffee.

It's the convenience/time-saving factor that is the main attraction to capsules, and some of the ones I get regularly are 90-95% as good as my bean to coffee.

Personally I think moka pot is the ultimate coffee. Pure caffeine injection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

ED E wrote: »
    Thought we did better with Amazon before.

There was a screwup in Tesco a few months ago where you could scan the brown cardboard outer and get 3 boxes for a pittance. Short lived.

Don't think so ED E... I've kept tabs on prices for the last couple of years and haven't been able to beat around €3.90 on Amazon, or €3.70 with subscribe and save. EDIT: on one occasion there was a fiver voucher on Amazon that got the cost down more.

A good tip for those who do like the DG Americano... I got a couple of boxes of DG Americano Bold Morning which has a slightly different flavour, but is essentially a taller americano. If you're in the habit of having have a couple of DG's in the morning, you'll be running through pods fast, but the Bold Morning is made to fill a good size mug, whereas the regular americano should be made "cup" size. Saves me a good few pods over time and it tastes good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

Tesco are selling these half price at the moment .. €2.84 a box.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266292846

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So are Supervalu, €2.73 a box

Bump... currently expensive on Amazon, full price in Tescos, but €4.00 in Centra which is quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redzer

€4 in JCs in Swords yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I find the yellow Starbucks ones the best. They're regularly 4 euro in the different shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

megaten wrote: »
    I find the yellow Starbucks ones the best. They're regularly 4 euro in the different shops.

Love those myself,
    Bought a few in from the UK a while back but haven't seen them here anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

megaten wrote: »

I've never seen them. Where do you get them?

Think Tesco's stock them, 4 euro for 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

There in all the super markets now. They take turn putting them on sale and there's 12 per back compared to 16 but I find they're nicer.

Advertisement