Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How could you forget the 7ft fella with the child's shorts and hi-viz boots 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Hearty and was duff not released from panel

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Hegarty even

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

I am a bit amazed Robbie Hanley is gone. Anytime he came he seemed to be very competitive and carry his corner fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭C4000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Castletroy are in the Munster B Schools final which will see them play Harty next year, they have all Limerick players with 13 from Monaleen startuing!

Ard Scoil are weaking other school teams with players travelling from miles away to play with them or be subs !. The player in the Ard Scoil subs could be a key player for another Limerick school where he is local to, players coming from twenty miles away like Dromin Athlacca playing instead doesnt add up.

I see Offaly schools won Leinster Hurling , why cant there be a East/West/South Limerick schools team?

Many clubs out of town are struggling badly with numbers underage & even at adult level and trying to keep going but its not working. Some clubs havent won an underage title in decades.

I think we had a Limerick city team for a while. Couldn't tell you much about how it got on.

Big crowd expected for Limerick V Clare Saturday night.

Mackey stand sold out since yesterday & Open Stand selling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Any terrace open? I'd rather go in there. Why do they take this option away. No option to go into the terrace in the new Cork Athletic Grounds last weekend

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There was certainly a Limerick Colleges Gaelic football team for a few years in the mid-2000s. I think we made the Munster 'A' quarter finals 2 years in a row. The Ardscoil Rís team made the same stage in the 'B' competition those years and made up about half of the Colleges panel.

As for kids travelling from all over for Ardscoil, that really isn't anything new. There were lads in my class from Sixmilebridge, Oola, Pallasgreen, Newport, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Kildimo, Ballingarry, Adare, Boher, Meelick, Croom and Manister. The place has always attracted people from all over the region.

• Advertisement

Probably just the hassle of operating turnstiles for a very small number who would go to the terrace.

Agree with all of your opinions on last week's match. I like Costello's aggression and ability to break out of tackles, but his marking can be suspect. There were a few occassions where cork forwards got in behind him too easily.

Quaid sets a very high bar and there is no one around who could replace him. Mccarthy isnt reliable under a dropping ball.

Adam English didn't have a huge impact but sniped two good points.

Thought Barry Murphy had a decent game and was involved in a lot.

Interested to see what team is announced tonight.

They won't open a section until the previous one sells out.

Your right it's probably a staffing thing. Turnstiles and stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

I’d agree with Peggy on this one. Regardless of staffing issues, there should be a terrace option for those who don’t want to spend the full whack on stand tickets.

Take a family of 4 or 5 for instance. A terrace could be an ideal option if standing didn’t bother them.

They don't do separate prices for terrace and stand in league.

And opening up extra stands unnecessarily isn't gonna encourage them to bring prices down

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Ah, didn’t know of the above.

Never knew that. Would that be normal in sport it seems very generous.

Horse racing would be the same, kids would get in free to most meetings..... those would be the only sports I'd regularly attend. Not sure about soccer or rugby etc.....

• Advertisement

I'm sure Peggy will be delighted with the performance of some of our young fringe players tonight 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah Clare were in a big block of training, im hoping lol .Terrible performance .Lohan didn't even go into the dressing room at half time.. Limerick were limerick , very accurate and fantasic scores. I hope Clares powder is being kept dry for Championship because that was a 14 point loss in reality. Now Tony Kelly is worth about 13 points for we won't be far off lol

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

About time you were on this thread not pretending to be a Limerick fan.

Tonight was probably one of the best Limerick league performances of the last few years. Was very clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Thats going to be a serious strong Limerick squad come championship

A few of our fringe players were badly exposed tonight the worrying thing from our point of view is a number of them are our only back up, we were badly beating in the middle 3rd

Very impressed with how boylan , houlihan and Daly are taking to senior level

Not as short S&C wise as this time a year ago, still a bit to go but not playing catch up and listening to endless talk around our form and possibly playing relegation play offs!

O’Connor being taken off injured was a pity. He needs as much time as we can give him as another option on the full back line would be handy.

O’Brien and Houlihan took full advantage of being handed starting positions - Kiely has heavily rotated during the league over the years but hopefully those two are allowed build a bit of momentum.

Even if we only come out of the league with two extra championship ready players it will have been success regardless of where we finish.

Great to see two new lads combining for the goal.

I ain’t begrudging Houlihan his MOTM award - and he seems a very level headed young man based on his interview - but I felt O’Donovan was the best man on the pitch, he put in an excellent shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Lads is young Houlihan a relation of that hardy midfielder with the collar turned up Mike Houlihan from the '90s team?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

son , he's the head of his father , but has a race against time before championship to prefect the pigeon like walk of his old man , unfortunately collars are out of fashion too at the moment ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

So last night the Limerick half forward line had Georoid Hegarty son of Ger from the 90s team, Cian Lynch nephew of Ciaran Carey fro the 90s team and Michael Houlihan son of Mike Houlihan from the 90s team. That's very impressive lineage.

It may be just the league but Limerick with 7/8 non championship starters from last years all ireland final show there’s a serious layer of players behind our best 15 and come Munster championship group with 4 tough matchs there will be plenty of options off the bench .

great to see 16,000 people in Gaelic grounds on a Saturday night in February and we’ll done to all the players signing autographs etc for hundreds of youngsters after the match 👍

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That's the special element of the GAA that sometimes goes unnoticed. The mass exodous of the stands Onto the pitch at full time at league games with all the players happy to pose for photos and sign autographs - from fans from both counties.

Advertisement