Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

16-06-2010, 14:28   #1

Year of construction

Hi,

I am currently filling in the form online to get my quote for home insurance but am scratching my head with the year of construction bit.

We built onto my wives home in 2008. Now the new construction invovled just leaving the 4 walls of the previous home and it was rewired, plumbed, plastered etc. The new construction is also much larger than the orginal house, so the majority of the building is 2 years old................so with that in mind do i put in 2008 or the orginal date of building for the old part.....

Also rubbish with insurance so explain accidental damage to me
16-06-2010, 14:41   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis jones View Post
Hi,

I am currently filling in the form online to get my quote for home insurance but am scratching my head with the year of construction bit.

We built onto my wives home in 2008. Now the new construction invovled just leaving the 4 walls of the previous home and it was rewired, plumbed, plastered etc. The new construction is also much larger than the orginal house, so the majority of the building is 2 years old................so with that in mind do i put in 2008 or the orginal date of building for the old part.....

Elvis

You can input 2008 as the year of construction in this case as the wiring and plumbing were redone then.

In relation to accidental damage cover - a standard house policy covers you for fire smoke theft burst pipes storm etc. but accidental damage extends that cover to include examples like - A TV being carried from one room to another is dropped and breaks - the TV is covered and also damage to the floor. We normally recommend AD cover if there are kids in the house (recent claim where kids were jumping on an expensive leather couch and it split!

I hope this is of help and if you want to call me I am on 01 2541300 - Graham
16-06-2010, 14:44   #3
thebiglad

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis jones View Post
Hi,

Not 100% sure on date of construction so will have to leave that one

Accidental damage (buildings) - basically you are covered for 'standard perils' storm, lightning, riot, explosion, fire, flood, theft, liability etc - there will be a standard batch of them which define ultimately what you can claim for.

Accidental damage also provides cover for your own non-deliberate acts - an example would be hanging a new mirror in the bathroom and drop drill or hammer into the sink, thereby smashing it - if you have accidental damage you can claim for the sink, if you don't then you pay it yourself.

Same could apply to dropping something on nice wooden floors and damaging them, so long as it was accidental you will be covered for the area of flooring which was damaged.

You can similar cover for either contents or buildings cover - it can be expensive though and watch the excess - may not be worthwhile to have the cover when taking into account additional cost and excess per claim (not to mention the fact you will have increased premium in the year following the claim!)
Forum Closed