Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what races likely too happen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

StaggerLee wrote: »
    It’s an accumulation of several of the restrictions that make it difficult for club races. Most could be dealt with but as someone already mentioned, it’s a pain in the ass to deal with at short notice for volunteer lead efforts. The 2 meter rule makes it difficult for those short on space in transition, with narrow out and back run sections etc.

I think you are spot on there. Don't think is it just one thing it is the accumulation of several things.

And not all the same for every race. Personally I know in our club they went lets park it for this year and hopefully fully back next year. The hassle is just not worth it.

woody1 wrote: »
    i wouldve thought celtic warrior with multiple run loops on a narrow road would be in bother , but they mustve worked something out, although they not t.i. sanctioned at all, so doing their own thing maybe

That is just what I heard and for the moment still open for booking so assume they are good to go until we hear different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Bertje14 wrote: »
    I think you are spot on there. Don't think is it just one thing it is the accumulation of several things.

And not all the same for every race. Personally I know in our club they went lets park it for this year and hopefully fully back next year. The hassle is just not worth it.

all valid points for a glass half full thread but this thread is about people like the race director of ironman talin who at something like 48 hours notice roled out. a new swim venue when he realized the swim in the sea was to cold .
    so where are the races that would have difficulties
    kilkee transition . solution part of it could be put on the road .
    athy duathlon run would be difficult but would there not be a solution
    again I do fail to see why it is ahrder for a club race than a non club. race to go ahead.

IAM not saying it's a pain in the arse and I appreciate clubs that take a more civil service approach this thread is about the people that have guts
    I think setanta club goes ahead
    the European sprint champs go ahead .
    athy triathlon not sure how many iiss but I take my hut of those people pioneers make the sport and if they do t happen fine but they tried and that counts and that will be the races I will especially recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

peter kern wrote: »
    all valid points for a glass half full thread but this thread is about people like the race director of ironman talin who at something like 48 hours notice roled out. a new swim venue when he realized the swim in the sea was to cold .
    again I do fail to see why it is ahrder for a club race than a non club. race to go ahead.

IAM not saying it's a pain in the arse and I appreciate clubs that take a more civil service approach this thread is about the people that have guts
    athy triathlon not sure how many iiss but I take my hut of those people pioneers make the sport and if they do t happen fine but they tried and that counts and that will be the races I will especially recommend

There’s a big difference between an IM race taking in €1m in entry fees and taking over a town and a small race run by volunteers to make a few quid for their club.

At a certain stage it becomes too much work for volunteers who have a life outside of triathlon. Even when race organisation runs perfectly there’s a lot of work, adding more work to that takes the enjoyment out of organising a race and you also have to deal with the whining of racers who don’t like the changes you’ve had to make.

peter kern wrote: »

I think you are being very harsh on the people that have cancelled their races. Without justification to be honest. They all did it to the best of their knowledge. To what was in front of them at the time. Well established races like Carlow, Tyrone & Sheephave to name only a few. Calling them gutless is just a bridge to far.
    A couple of months ago we didn't even know where we were with this virus. It is only now that is getting better and who knows where we are in 1 or 2 months.

Yes Setanta Club is going ahead. Not a TI race so the whole 8 pages guide with 20 points doesn't apply for them.

I am happy for them and I am happy that these races go ahead. Hell I will probably races some of them. I just hope that we don't end up with a situation like with Djokovic and his tennis tournament.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    There’s a big difference between an IM race taking in €1m in entry fees and taking over a town and a small race run by volunteers to make a few quid for their club.

At a certain stage it becomes too much work for volunteers who have a life outside of triathlon. Even when race organisation runs perfectly there’s a lot of work, adding more work to that takes the enjoyment out of organising a race and you also have to deal with the whining of racers who don’t like the changes you’ve had to make.

Amen to that!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

https://www.facebook.com/ennistriclub/

Ennis Triathlon Club

***i-Tri Cancelled***

Due to the ongoing coronavirus situation, a decision has been taken to cancel our i-Tri triathlon that was due to take place on August 22nd.
    We understand the disappointment this decision will cause, and it was a difficult decision to make, but the race committee felt that the health and safety of the large numbers of participants, marshals and spectators who would have gathered on the day had to take priority.
    All entrants will be refunded automatically in the coming weeks.
    We wish to thank you all for your ongoing support and we can't wait to get back again next year, better than ever!
    In the meantime stay safe, fit and healthy.
    Yours in sport,
    Ennis Tri Club Race Committee

benji2006 wrote: »

Ennis Triathlon Club

***i-Tri Cancelled***

Due to the ongoing coronavirus situation, a decision has been taken to cancel our i-Tri triathlon that was due to take place on August 22nd.
    We understand the disappointment this decision will cause, and it was a difficult decision to make, but the race committee felt that the health and safety of the large numbers of participants, marshals and spectators who would have gathered on the day had to take priority.
    We wish to thank you all for your ongoing support and we can't wait to get back again next year, better than ever!
    Yours in sport,

hopefully back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

benji2006 wrote: »

Ennis Triathlon Club

***i-Tri Cancelled***

Yours in sport,

Fermoy Blackwater triathlon cancelled yesterday and Moby Dick cancelled a while ago. Looks like a lot of August and September club run races are being cancelled.

Apart from Hardman, is there any confirmed they are still going ahead at the moment?

Yermander wrote: »
    Fermoy Blackwater triathlon cancelled yesterday and Moby Dick cancelled a while ago. Looks like a lot of August and September club run races are being cancelled.

Apart from Hardman, is there any confirmed they are still going ahead at the moment?

Carlingford definitiely

Top of Mourne maybe

• Advertisement

I think you are being very harsh on the people that have cancelled their races. Without justification to be honest. They all did it to the best of their knowledge. To what was in front of them at the time. Well established races like Carlow, Tyrone & Sheephave to name only a few. Calling them gutless is just a bridge to far.
    A couple of months ago we didn't even know where we were with this virus. It is only now that is getting better and who knows where we are in 1 or 2 months.

Yes Setanta Club is going ahead. Not a TI race so the whole 8 pages guide with 20 points doesn't apply for them.

I am happy for them and I am happy that these races go ahead. Hell I will probably races some of them. I just hope that we don't end up with a situation like with Djokovic and his tennis tournament.

I admire the efforts of people that try . I do not say the people that don't try are wrong .
    You want to read that I put the races down that cancell again it's the opposite I take my hat off the people that try.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yermander wrote: »

Tri the Hook is going ahead.

I came on here to see if there was anything else going ahead. Planning on just going down to Waterford for Metalman weekend and splitting the route over the weekend myself. Get some practice in for next year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dental Floss

Quest Glendalough confirmed 31st October !

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

Quest Killarney going ahead on 10th October too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Has there been a new date announced for Metalman 2021?

With Ironman gone to August I assume this would slot in nicely around June?

Cona wrote: »
    Has there been a new date announced for Metalman 2021?

With Ironman gone to August I assume this would slot in nicely around June?

I think August is perfect time really...Tri Tyrone already in July and Athy Double in June. Early August is perfect time for anyone doing Barcelona.
    Hoping I get my money back for Vitoria and after either that or slogging through an event next year, I will never be touching another Ironman event myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

Has anyone done Celtic Warrior and would recommend it? Looking for a middle distance race before IM Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

rxchxy wrote: »
    Has anyone done Celtic Warrior and would recommend it? Looking for a middle distance race before IM Barcelona

In past years, it has been more of a training event than a race. The numbers are low (or at least were in previous editions) so it was somewhat of a time trial. IMHO, it is perfect if you are looking for a blow out to see where you are in terms of fitness. The course is well set up and you return to transition on several occasions so you can keep on top of nutrition, etc.

rxchxy wrote: »

I know a lot of guys in the club that are going for Barça are doing the event.

To be honest I have only heard good things about it but like the Ec1000 mentioned it is more a training event. They even mention it on their website it is a competitive event.

Now that Top of Mourne is gone as well (thank god I did sign up just yet but was planning to) I will probably sign up for this but not sure as I don't want to curse the event :). Everything that I sign up for or thinking to sign up for just gets cancelled :(

Anyway we will see but feel I need something to look forward to. Just so I am not training for the sake of training. Got a bit fed but with Virtual IM races but they served a purpose I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

LostSheep is also a nice training tester for Barca, only a few weeks before.
    Again, don't compete, just enjoy the day out and go at a % of race effort.

But, who nows if either will happen this year ...

• Advertisement

They are bringing out a statement next week I think plus sold out as well but it is one the bucket list. which only got longer this year ;)

Ironman have rearranged Vitoria to October 12th so can't see why Barcelona wouldn't happen in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Reckon the delay of phase 4 impacts the planned TI races?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Reckon the delay of phase 4 impacts the planned TI races?

Any races happening before Aug 10th with more than 200 people will need to re-plan

I can’t see much changing after August 10th if anything we’ll be going backwards.

I heard Lost Sheep has been cancelled as well.

any word on that?

Hardman currently still going ahead it said on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I heard Lost Sheep has been cancelled as well.

any word on that?

Hardman currently still going ahead it said on Facebook

Little Bo Peep will be finding no sheep this year alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Hardman half (Waterville) has to cut numbers to 200 (and that includes Marshalls). Its a shame as he had good numbers booked for this race, its a small operation but a model for what Tri races can be like in Ireland.

Hardman half (Waterville) has to cut numbers to 200 (and that includes Marshalls). Its a shame as he had good numbers booked for this race, its a small operation but a model for what Tri races can be like in Ireland.

Pitty indeed but at least it is going ahead. Fingers crossed all goes well. What you wouldn't want to hear is that because of the race there were additional cases. I was thinking of doing Celtic warrior not so sure anymore now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Vittoria was cancelled today. Looks like Barca will probably get the bullet too

Advertisement