Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing in Ireland is....

Options
  • 19-04-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Laughable.

That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

How much did you lose man? Want to talk about it??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gregk961 wrote: »
    How much did you lose man? Want to talk about it??

I had a 5er each way on O Meara's horse. Loose change. But you have to question how a 50/1 shot wins the big race with a 33/1 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭droidman123

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I had a 5er each way on O Meara's horse. Loose change. But you have to question how a 50/1 shot wins the big race with a 33/1 2nd.

And this doesn't happen in British racing?

Better question might be why the horse was sent off at 50 to 1. I don't see what the problem is here, this happens in horse racing everywhere, every week. A group 3 early season at the Curragh is hardly a fair assessment of the state of Irish racing either way. This moan isnt worthy of its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Racing in Ireland is a waste of time, waste of money and extremely boring. Never "get" what racing is about... bunch of nags running around a field....strange what someone people will get excited over.

• Advertisement

And this doesn't happen in British racing?

Look at Dundalk ffs its a gangsters paradise. I dont no how many times ive got the call what horse is gonna win and has went in. Its a joke no doubt about it. I dont mind i nice touch but dont understand why the stewarts turn a blind eye to it.

Look at Dundalk ffs its a gangsters paradise. I dont no how many times ive got the call what horse is gonna win and has went in. Its a joke no doubt about it. I dont mind i nice touch but dont understand why the stewarts turn a blind eye to it.

And wolverhampton......? Straight as a die? I agree with you that some horse races are as bent as a 3 euro note,but to single out irish racing is nonsense. Happens every where

Well you're talking about 2 different things now. The 50-1 winner has nothing to do with dodgy runners at dundalk, are you suggesting bolger had this planned and yet not a penny was down judging by the price. Unpredictability and corruption are completely different things.

You must be doing alright with these guaranteed winners you're getting the call for anyway ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

NSAman wrote: »
    Racing in Ireland is a waste of time, waste of money and extremely boring. Never "get" what racing is about... bunch of nags running around a field....strange what someone people will get excited over.

Comes into a horse racing forum to whinge about not "getting" what racing is about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Early season flat races are probably the most unpredictable around. Ground still soft. Tough time of yr for punting on the flat. Wait until it settles down a bit and the three yr old form is a little easier to assess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Invitation to insert our own thoughts yeah? Right so...

Racing in Ireland is....

..... brilliant. When the big national hunt meetings get going in winter and the flat meetings in summer there are very few places one would would rather be. The atmosphere, the characters, the pints, the sh*tetalk and the rare winner all make for a memorable day.
    The key is to not get upset when you realize you don't know as much about horse racing than you think you do. To trust the trainers, jockeys and these animals often described by really stupid people as 'machines' with your weekly wage is a foolish business and is not recommended.
    When you come to this realization you will enjoy the sport for what it is, and all the quirks, often unfair I know, that come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Well at least over there true racing fans are out in force instead of over here with the racing post brigade at most saturday meetings with their suits on just getting pissed. Punchestown is great for the racing fans.

And wolverhampton......? Straight as a die? I agree with you that some horse races are as bent as a 3 euro note,but to single out irish racing is nonsense. Happens every where

I think its more widespread over here tho. Few weeks back Ruby Walsh rode a horse cant recall the name but it doubled in price in 10 minutes before the off, what happened? He had the horse out the back didnt touch the thing and pulled it up, it was absolutely farcical and not a thing was done by the stewarts. :pac:

I think its more widespread over here tho. Few weeks back Ruby Walsh rode a horse cant recall the name but it doubled in price in 10 minutes before the off, what happened? He had the horse out the back didnt touch the thing and pulled it up, it was absolutely farcical and not a thing was done by the stewarts. :pac:

again,this happens in Britain on a regular basis also.i,m not saying its right, but it does happen

again,this happens in Britain on a regular basis also.i,m not saying its right, but it does happen

True enough but that result pissed me off yesterday :D

Watch out for that Sandro Botticelli, he won that maiden with a tonne in hand. Looks a Derby horse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

madmoose wrote: »
    Well at least over there true racing fans are out in force instead of over here with the racing post brigade at most saturday meetings with their suits on just getting pissed. Punchestown is great for the racing fans.

Pitty most of the festival is on while most people are working or just getting home from work

Still, I know what I will be doing of I live by the time I'm retired. What a way to spend a few days.

A bit harsh on the suited attendees. So what if they go just for the day out and have a flutter. Racing needs more people to come and visit the tracks, have a bet ideally the Tote

Racing post brigade? Sounds rather snotty

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Understand your frustration Gringo. But some of the stuff that happens in the UK can be a bit dodgy...or at least arouse suspicion.
    For example:
    Wincanton yesterday 4.10, 5 Horse race
    Strongly fancied She's da One, Nicholls horse, STD aboard. Backed it Saturday night with decent bet when it was about evens if memory serves. Sunday morning, 1 NR..the second favorite. Rule 4. An hour or 2 later, another NR and She's da One being absolutely piled on all day. Goes off about 1/8 with the other 2 runners 10/1 & 16/1. Pulls up after first.

Stinks...I will add though that I didn't see the race and maybe the horse cloutted the first or something.
    Very frustrating, but what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Earendil wrote: »
    Understand your frustration Gringo. But some of the stuff that happens in the UK can be a bit dodgy...or at least arouse suspicion.
    For example:
    Wincanton yesterday 4.10, 5 Horse race
    Strongly fancied She's da One, Nicholls horse, STD aboard. Backed it Saturday night with decent bet when it was about evens if memory serves. Sunday morning, 1 NR..the second favorite. Rule 4. An hour or 2 later, another NR and She's da One being absolutely piled on all day. Goes off about 1/8 with the other 2 runners 10/1 & 16/1. Pulls up after first.

Stinks...I will add though that I didn't see the race and maybe the horse cloutted the first or something.
    Very frustrating, but what can you do.

I suggest you watch yesterday's race & watch what happens after the first. The horse was pulled up immediately & Sam T.D jumped off it straight away. Walked it back across the track & the horse was taken away for examination. The horse genuinely did look like it had a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

coopdog85 wrote: »
    I suggest you watch yesterday's race & watch what happens after the first. The horse was pulled up immediately & Sam T.D jumped off it straight away. Walked it back across the track & the horse was taken away for examination. The horse genuinely did look like it had a serious problem.

Yep, that's fair enough.
    I did qualify my gripe by saying I hadn't seen the race and maybe it was something genuine.
    I'll wind my neck back in so:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

True enough but that result pissed me off yesterday :D

Watch out for that Sandro Botticelli, he won that maiden with a tonne in hand. Looks a Derby horse.

Ugh an Irish maiden producing yet another Derby hope.

Laughable indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

No disrespect to Irish Racing but it's not my cup of tea really! From a punting perspective on a Saturday I will look at all the English racing 1st then have a flick through navan/nass or wherever is on! I would say 90% of the betting I would do would be on UK races! I just find that he irish races aren't as open! Too often you'll have a WM trained, or JP/Gigignstown owned favourite at a very tight price! I know she people are the opposite and only follow irish racing! Each to their own I guess!
    With regard to dodgy practices I wouldn't for one minute say that it doesn't go on in the UK but it just seems to be more prevalent over here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

All horse racing is akin to "swimming with sharks",don't get in the water if you want to stay safe,as long as there's betting exchanges the hookery will continue,not saying there wasn't any before their invention but it makes every Joe Soap a possible layer and increases the possible skulduggery by a multiple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

NSAman wrote: »

& what do you do for fun then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

pugw wrote: »
    No disrespect to Irish Racing but it's not my cup of tea really! From a punting perspective on a Saturday I will look at all the English racing 1st then have a flick through navan/nass or wherever is on! I would say 90% of the betting I would do would be on UK races! I just find that he irish races aren't as open! Too often you'll have a WM trained, or JP/Gigignstown owned favourite at a very tight price! I know she people are the opposite and only follow irish racing! Each to their own I guess!
    With regard to dodgy practices I wouldn't for one minute say that it doesn't go on in the UK but it just seems to be more prevalent over here!!
    Alot of the lower class races in England are dire. Artifical tracks, bha. Sooner evening turf races come on the better

In England it's just as boring.Hannon, Gosden,occasionally Stoute pick up whatever races O'Brien of Ireland fails to win. The National hunt in England is better,and easier than Ireland to make money alright

Of you don't follow Irish flat racing, you are really in no position to comment about making money in it as you don't follow the horses. Key is to picky on the race to play and play when an O'Brien horse is ridiculously short and unproven. Wayne Lordan is the man on 6f races at The Curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Alot of the lower class races in England are dire. Artifical tracks, bha. Sooner evening turf races come on the better

In England it's just as boring.Hannon, Gosden,occasionally Stoute pick up whatever races O'Brien of Ireland fails to win. The National hunt in England is better,and easier than Ireland to make money alright

Of you don't follow Irish flat racing, you are really in no position to comment about making money in it as you don't follow the horses. Key is to picky on the race to play and play when an O'Brien horse is ridiculously short and unproven. Wayne Lordan is the man on 6f races at The Curragh.

My preference is national hunt and it was generally that my comments were aimed at, sorry I should have specified that!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

EICVD wrote: »
    & what do you do for fun then?

Let's not feed the troll, who has already been infracted for their comments. Please think and look before posting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The horse doesn't know what price he is. What's the jock supposed to do if he's winning a race on a 50/1? Let the fav overtake him and win? The responsibility is to the owner and the sport, not the punter.

Advertisement