Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 89: Bisping vs Leben Discussion ** Will Contain Spoilers **

Options
  • 07-10-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

ufc89logokd6.jpg

Televised card

Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs. Chris Leben
    Light Heavyweight bout: Keith Jardine vs. Brandon Vera
    Light Heavyweight bout: Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Luis Cane
    Welterweight bout: Marcus Davis vs. Paul Kelly
    Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs. Paul Taylor

Preliminary card

Heavyweight bout: Shane Carwin vs. Neil Wain
    Welterweight bout: Akihiro Gono vs. Dan Hardy
    Lightweight bout: Jess Liaudin vs. David Bielkheden
    Lightweight bout: Samy Schiavo vs. Per Eklund
    Lightweight bout: Sam Stout vs. Terry Etim
    Lightweight bout: David Baron vs. Jim Miller

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

What's Carwin doing on the preliminary card?! He'll probably win his fight quick enough though so they can fit it into the main broadcast

Vera vs Jardine just doesn't interest me at all. It's got to end up going to decision

Bisping and Leben should have an energetic fight. My money's on Leben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Fozzy wrote: »

Bisping and Leben should have an energetic fight. My money's on Leben

I like both fighters, but I have money on Bisping to win (I think he will win via TKO.) Thank God this event starts at 8pm, I can now get to watch it in the pub. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I think bisping will win...he's a beast at middleweight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I'm rooting for Bisping. Just so he can knock that whiny maggot, Leben into orbit.
    Provided Leben doesn't get done for DUI again, as if i recall correctly, this match was originally scheduled for UFC 85 in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think Bisping will beat him. He'll be too quick and elusive for Leben I believe.

I also hope Shane Carwins fight makes it on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Leben will take a beating then pull the upset out of nowhere

I think the Vera Jardine fight could be quite interesting

The card is pretty decent considering its a UK show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Im hoping for a Leben win, But Bisping is an animal at this weight

This one is interesting in that we'll see how good Bisping is. If he wants to be at the level he aspires to be at then he needs to be putting guys like Leben away. But Leben has a hard head and is tough as they get, he's the kind of guy that in order to beat him you need to outclass him. Bisping should have a speed advantage so IMO he should take it.

Vera vs Jardine interests me because I actually think it'll end by KO. Jardine is there for the taking if you are aggressive with him (see Houston Alexander and Wanderlei Silva fights and round 1 vs Liddell) but if you stand off him and give him time to settle he'll hurt you (Liddell rounds 2 and 3). Jardine caught Forrest cold, I thought Forrest was winning on points up until the KO. Jardine is one of those guys who'll fight smart so you have to fight smarter.
    dunkamania wrote: »

The card is pretty decent considering its a UK show

It is but the difference in standard between the undercard of this and the undercard of UFC 90 is quite large. Looking at the 2, and what you get for your money, it makes 89 look more like a UFN than and UFC event.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

We cant complain too much about the cards over here considering the price of the tickets.

You can get a ticket for a Uk event for £50 (£30 for the belfast show), with the most expensive for UFC 89 being £225/$420, the same expensive seats for an american event will cost you $1000+.

You also have to take into account the loss of PPV revenue of the UK events and I think we get a fairly good deal.

Although we should now be referring to them as European events now as we all agree we are not in the UK :D.

Vera v Jardine, if Vera gets his head out of his ass and starts using his kicks, could be very interesting. The guy trains with Rob Kaman and Lloyd Irvin and then doesnt use his Kickboxing and BJJ???

On the other hand Jardine doesnt seem to be able to put 2 good wins together, seems to get a bit cocky after a good win and gets brought down to earth with a bang in his next fight.

Its a big fight for both, cos they are both 1-2 since the start of 2007 and another high prile loss puts them both way back down the LHW ladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Vera has said hes walking around at 202 after adopting a more professional outlook on the sport. If true, than should he not be looking to fight at MW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Vera has said hes walking around at 202 after adopting a more professional outlook on the sport. If true, than should he not be looking to fight at MW

From what i can tell of Vera he is lazy. He fought at heavyweight because it's the weight he was. Now he's walking around at 202 so will stay at LHW because he won't have to cut.

Possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ah but now that he's supposed to be taking a more professional outlook he might start to cut?? dont be surprised if he's MW in his next fight or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

In his 1st fight at LHW against Reese Andy, Vera looked nakered after the first round. I think it was the first time he had ever cut weight and he obviously made a few mistakes with the cut - i remember him mentioning this in the post-fight interview. Luckily for him, he just about did enough to get the decision and Andy wasnt able to capitalise on Vera's lack of energy. If he performs like that again, Jardine will punish him for sure!

If he's walking around at 202lbs, Vera could definitely make MW.

In the Main event, i'd have to go with Bisping - he's an absolute beast at MW. Will be interesting to see if the winner of this gets a shot at Anderson Silva, it's not like there's many guys left for him to fight in the MW division.

Dragan wrote: »
    From what i can tell of Vera he is lazy. He fought at heavyweight because it's the weight he was. Now he's walking around at 202 so will stay at LHW because he won't have to cut.

Possibly.

Pretty much the impression i get of him. IMO he should cut to MW if he can. i'm not so sure he can though for reasons given below. He'd be an animal at that weight (if the cut didnt suck the energy out of him)

Thing is though, I've met Vera. He has a big frame by nature. Not much muscle mass on him (though as anyone can see he has a lot of excess flab) bar a huge neck. Now iI can tell you from standing beside them that Vera is WAY bigger than Bisping, Kampmaan (who should be at WW), Scott Smith, even Rick Franklin.

Personally for the main event, i think Bisping operates very well in his new weight class. His head and foot work are good, his speed is vastly improved and he is throwing with some serious intent.

That said, he hasn't exactly faced the world of talent at this weight class yet. Leben is a good test for him as he will force Bisping into a long protracted fight. I honestly don't think Bisping can KO him with his hands, if he wants to get that he will need to work in some head kicks.

I do think Bisping wil need to use his speed over Leben, be able to land consistantly and then get out of harms way. Leben can absolutely knock Bisping out.

I've liked them both recently, they have improved a lot but Leben has a habit of falling into old tactics, getting tired and taking shots.

It will be a very interesting fight i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

The one thing about Bisping @ M/W that impresses me the most is his speed. This is definitely a better weight for him. Can he KO Leben? maybe not with 1 punch but if he hits him with flurries i think he can.

Can Leben KO Bisping? yes but I dont think he will.

I think Bisping needs to stay away and pick Leben off until Leben starts to fatigue, then dont get caught like Terry Martin.

stevemc01 wrote: »
    The one thing about Bisping @ M/W that impresses me the most is his speed. This is definitely a better weight for him. Can he KO Leben? maybe not with 1 punch but if he hits him with flurries i think he can.

I don't know, Silva was hitting Leben with flurries, knees, everything and Leben was TKO'd but not out.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I'm rooting for Bisping. Just so he can knock that whiny maggot, Leben into orbit.
    Provided Leben doesn't get done for DUI again, as if i recall correctly, this match was originally scheduled for UFC 85 in London.

That fight was called off because Leben turned himself in to get a DUI charge off his record so he could live in another state. But the jail time ended up being longer than he had anticipated. From what I've heard, he hasn't drank in a long time now

I dunno...I'd be surprised if Bisping stopped Leben. I just can't see him doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Was a fan og Leben during the Ultimate fighter show but think since then he just complains too much. Good fighter though but I think Bisping will stop him early in the third after Leben has tired himself out.

As for Jardine, I have only seen him fight three times one went the distance against Stephan Bonnar and the other two had him knocked out in less than a minute so i don't expect much from him.

As for Jardine, I have only seen him fight three times one went the distance against Stephan Bonnar and the other two had him knocked out in less than a minute so i don't expect much from him.

So you missed him knocking out the current LHW champion and beating the UFC's biggest star? :pac:

• Advertisement

Just a note on Vera, he was held at gunpoint at the weekend in the house of a training partner. His friend is an expert in Sambo weapons defense techniques and was able to disarm one of the guys: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/10/6/629281/bloodyelbow-com-exclusive

His friend being Lloyd Irvin! read that the other day.....dumbest bastards!! Lloyd is very well trained in sambo weapons techniques and was able to not only disarm the guy but take the clip out of his gun before he had fully disarmed him! impressive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I cant wait for some skanger or junkie to try it on with one of the UFC fighters or trainers in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Fozzy wrote: »
    So you missed him knocking out the current LHW champion and beating the UFC's biggest star? :pac:

lol...yes I did, but I have also seen Griffin fight 3 times and two of them were handed to him. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rovert wrote: »
    I cant wait for some skanger or junkie to try it on with one of the UFC fighters or trainers in Dublin.

Won't happen, there'll be too much security around them for a start, and most skangers wont try anything on anyone bigger than em.

Would be fun though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Anyone know a bar that will be showing the event? I really want to see it but have no Setanta. Will Redz be showing it?

Leben's based in Hawaii now and has his own gym and trains really hard it seems, I saw a documentary on him recently and he really seems to have matured a lot as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Anyone know a bar that will be showing the event? I really want to see it but have no Setanta. Will Redz be showing it?

I take it you are in Dublin? I do know a bar in Limerick that is showing the event (that is were I will be) don't think it would be worth the 3hr. drive to Limerick :)

I take it you are in Dublin? I do know a bar in Limerick that is showing the event (that is were I will be) don't think it would be worth the 3hr. drive to Limerick :)

Which one? My mates down in Limerick might like that!

• Advertisement

Am in Dublin, am thinking and thinking but can't think of anywhere. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Advertisement