Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interview advice - where am I going wrong?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Seaandwind

Snapgal wrote: »
    Thank you.Well done on getting CID.

Yes I do CPD in local education centres during the year, am doing a few at the moment for summer, go to annual subject meetings (hard to do all language meetings as they are all in november on a saturday a long commute from where I live) and go to branch meetings of MFL. I even was on committee of school I was in two years ago to set up a digital learning plan and did lota of extra CPD training during my free time.
    I must look at Hibernia CPD - what turned me off last time I looked was how much you had to pay. I must look again - only if the CPD course is what would principals want I would pay for it.
    I turned down an offer for a job where principal was offering me to do resource and would have got free training as a SEN teacher in a local university. She thought that i came across as a very caring person and have volunteered with both adults and teenagers with mental disablities.I should have accepted it. I turned it down as got an offer from a closer school where principal told me that teacher was retiring - one year forward in that school i didnt get job as a someone related to principal got the job. You learn the hard way.

That happened me actually, promised the sun, moon and stars.. and politics comes in to it. Very disheartening and it almost made me quit. It happens an awful lot. But If teaching is what you want dont let the system crush that, even though I know financially and mentally it is very very hard to keep interviewing year in and year out.

I really hope you get something this year. It’s still early days. Most jobs I got were in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Its very hard to tell the interview board in 30 minutes all that I have done in seventeen years. I am also well used over the years in receiving very positive feedback from inspectors - I was a subject coordinator for many years and was coordinator during one inspection. Students who never told me but made sure to tell an inspector during an MLL inspection of how much I inspire them - inspector told me that. I have volunteered teaching in India and Nepal and have helped students from these countries - I became a teacher to not just teach my subjects but to also inspire and help children from different cultures and backgrounds.
    Practice your 'elevator pitch' on video - play it back, pick it apart, do it again, and again, and again - it is painful, and also extremely valuable.

Have you key answers to the major questions prepared, ready to roll of the tongue, though you don't want to come across as scripted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Thank you for advice but I have done exactly all of what you have said in your advice - I am in the last few years not nervous especially during interview and even made effort to talk to person who brings me to interview so there is no no awkward silence. Always think of poor students I have examined for the SEC orals through the years and I know they are so nervous that I have a quick chit chat with a bit of humour in the target language to put them at ease.

Its very hard to tell the interview board in 30 minutes all that I have done in seventeen years. I am also well used over the years in receiving very positive feedback from inspectors - I was a subject coordinator for many years and was coordinator during one inspection. Students who never told me but made sure to tell an inspector during an MLL inspection of how much I inspire them - inspector told me that. I have volunteered teaching in India and Nepal and have helped students from these countries - I became a teacher to not just teach my subjects but to also inspire and help children from different cultures and backgrounds.

Even told after last interview by principal that I did a fantastic interview.
    I dont know - just looking at other career options with Gaeilge and MFL. I just cannnot face every summer especially at my age with such job uncertainty. If I had had a choice again I would never havd left my CID position. I just thought by listening to media Irish and MFL teachers were sought highly after and thought with all my expertise and I could bring so
    much to a school.

If your teaching 17 years you surely know that interviews for jobs at this time of year are re-advertisements and are generally only good for practice. So I wouldn’t get overly worried about it.

You sound very intense in your posts, perhaps that’s putting principals off. You might be a great teacher but maybe your a poor fit for the staffroom. A little humility wouldn’t go astray, you say your great at interviews and your not nervous? That’s great but maybe play it down a little, maybe your too cocky. We all get great feedback from inspectors - your putting on a show for them, I’d be worried if you didn’t impress them.

Play the I’d like to settle down card, it works, I’ve done it - and I’m living an hour from the school now Do you live in the area of the schools your applying for? Principals love locals or living close ish as they have inside information, know families and can help students in way other than in the classroom. Even if you don’t want to be - lie.
    Get saavy about what schools you apply to, no point being in a school/area you can’t see yourself being in long term either. I never applied to a school I felt wouldn’t be a great long term fit.

Maybe ask managements for advice on how to get the job. You say your friendly with principal- use it. Ask friends do they know anyone retiring in your subject area etc word of mouth is always useful too.

I did a fair amount of interviews too and this is what I found worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Teach30 wrote: »
    If your teaching 17 years you surely know that interviews for jobs at this time of year are re-advertisements and are generally only good for practice. So I wouldn’t get overly worried about it.

You sound very intense in your posts, perhaps that’s putting principals off. You might be a great teacher but maybe your a poor fit for the staffroom. A little humility wouldn’t go astray, you say your great at interviews and your not nervous? That’s great but maybe play it down a little, maybe your too cocky. We all get great feedback from inspectors - your putting on a show for them, I’d be worried if you didn’t impress them.

Play the I’d like to settle down card, it works, I’ve done it - and I’m living an hour from the school now Do you live in the area of the schools your applying for? Principals love locals or living close ish as they have inside information, know families and can help students in way other than in the classroom. Even if you don’t want to be - lie.
    Get saavy about what schools you apply to, no point being in a school/area you can’t see yourself being in long term either. I never applied to a school I felt wouldn’t be a great long term fit.

Maybe ask managements for advice on how to get the job. You say your friendly with principal- use it. Ask friends do they know anyone retiring in your subject area etc word of mouth is always useful too.

I did a fair amount of interviews too and this is what I found worked.

Jeez don't hold back anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I would highly recommend to take some of the “advice” on here with a pinch of salt. They don’t know know you and shouldn’t be judging based on your post on social media /boards.

You will get work but you will also build up a resilience to the lack of positive results from the interviews eventually. Believe in yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ulsen

From my experience interviews are practice, being confident in your ability to sell yourself(which isn't easy) and luck. There are alot of teachers out there similar to yourself, with lots of experience and qualifications, so competition can be tough. You have so much to offer, but are losing confidence. Like others have said, alot of posts will be in August, would you consider calling carecall, for free teacher counseling, for support in rebuilding your confidence, and prepare for interviews in August.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Could it be your location? I live in a city and teach Irish. I would love to move to west Kerry. But it's a Gaeltacht area and every second person is an Irish teacher!

I'm only thinking out loud here...but how competent are you at Irish / your foreign language? I know in my school the management put people through their paces at interview in Irish. Presume it's the same in other schools.

Advertisement