Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

listermint wrote: »
    Are spv drivers entitled to the covid payment from welfare . Taxi driver with compromised immune system can't be operating under current issues.

Anyone know

They count as self employed so yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

listermint wrote: »
    Are spv drivers entitled to the covid payment from welfare . Taxi driver with compromised immune system can't be operating under current issues.

Anyone know
    Lots of taxi drivers have stopped working like myself because of lack of demand and the unique one on one we have for usually more than 15 minutes. Also in my case as a carer for my 87 year old father it wouldn't be wise for me to bring it home to.
    We can Claim the emergency benefit, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Aircoach is pulling all services.

db will most likely be running a Saturday service from Monday....

People need to give others space and stop walking on top of each other.

If you are standing looking at the bus coming, get your card or money out as to spend less time in front of the driver....

I could just about manage on a Saturday service. If a Sunday one is implemented I'm screwed for work, as earliest (hourly) bus then isn't until 11:15am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We dont need to run a reduced service and it could be more harmful as you are concentrating more people into lower frequency services.

What my dad is seeing, is a lot of people who dont really need to use the bus, getting on his. As they are only going up 1 or 2 stops. And his is a route that meanders through housing estates. People are waiting longer for him, then the walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭john boye

With traffic so light now and running times massively reduced would it not be possible to rejig the schedules with less running times so that the current service levels (or close to it) could be maintained but with less buses/drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

john boye wrote: »
    With traffic so light now and running times massively reduced would it not be possible to rejig the schedules with less running times so that the current service levels (or close to it) could be maintained but with less buses/drivers?

Yes but rostering is complex and will take a considerable amount of work to do properly.

This is why switching to sat/sun schedules is happening, all those rosters are available and just need the drivers allocated. The frequency of sunday services should be good enough in most cases but the later starts are a problem, pasting some early duties onto the standard sunday schedule may be the best compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Yes but rostering is complex and will take a considerable amount of work to do properly.

This is why switching to sat/sun schedules is happening, all those rosters are available and just need the drivers allocated. The frequency of sunday services should be good enough in most cases but the later starts are a problem, pasting some early duties onto the standard sunday schedule may be the best compromise.

Where did you see this? I heard nothing other than rumours its happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How will this 4 people in a confined space work, if people are to be giving more then 2 metres distance then this would be impossible on a bus....

Where did you see this? I heard nothing other than rumours its happening.

If they do it will most likely be a Saturday service and drivers will be split shifting....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE and department of health dont want the NTA to move Dublin bus, irish rail, luas etc to reduced schedules.

Current rate of service ensures social distancing.

At the end of the day it'll be a health service decision

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

HSE and department of health dont want the NTA to move Dublin bus, irish rail, luas etc to reduced schedules.

Current rate of service ensures social distancing.

At the end of the day it'll be a health service decision

Hopefully the HSE will cough up at least some of the bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

bk wrote: »
    Exactly, that is my point. DB have cancelled these services because passenger numbers and thus revenue have fallen off a cliff and have made a sensible commercial decision to halt these unnecessary services until things improve. Just like other commercial operators have done and no different to them.

One interesting thought. I wonder will the government extract a cost for subsidising the CIE companies in this manner?

Will they force the CIE companies into a gross cost basis type contract like Transdev/GAI have, instead of the net cost type contract they currently have.

After all, if ticket fares have fallen off a cliff and the government have to pump lots of money into CIE, then it is basically a gross cost type contract anyway, so they might as well make that official.

I was specifically referencing the narrative in particular that the NBRU have started to spin and will continue. Its comparing chock and cheese given how these are funded and BE operating expressway bleeding thousands a day per day just proves it. Demand has fallen on most of these services (generally same passenger type) as private operators yet they are running because they have a credit line from NTA unofficially of course!

Gross cost contract makes complete sense for Dublin Bus and one good thing to come out of this crisis is DB road to cashless should happen sooner.

Probably a bit more complicated with BE and IE.

Someone will be paying for empty services. DB can likely bear the losses, IE could forced to bean them and who knows with BE but whatever way you NTA will likely find money for them one way or another.

DB to apparently add extra 20 buses on morning peak tomorrow.

This was the 8:45 69 this morning. It's usually standing room only and takes at least 50 minutes to get from my stop in Kingswood to Heuston. Took 21 mins this morning. it didn't stop at all between the Green Isle and Heuston either.

tx9ND2Al.jpg

Is there much point keeping the VTs in service now. Surely they'd be a waste of fuel to run now.

GT89 wrote: »
    Hopefully the HSE will cough up at least some of the bill

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

I saw an entirely empty Expressway bus heading to Dublin from Longford yesterday evening. It would probably make quite a lot of sense to suspend services that are duplicating train journeys at this point. There seems to be little point in running buses from Sligo, Ballina or Westport when there are trains running the same journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Again like CIE, all these operators are not losing money. Luas carrying 0 or 30,000 passengers, Transdev are not losing money as they are given a set fee to run trams not fill them.

But the CIE companies are in a different position to Transdev, GAI etc who are providing contracted services.

GAI (PSO) and Transdev (non PSO) for example have their profits guaranteed as that is built into the contract price whereas the CIE companies profits are not (with the exception of Waterford services), they rely on the fare box for that so 0 or 30,000 passengers on LUAS or GAI is not comparable to the CIE companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

DB to apparently add extra 20 buses on morning peak tomorrow.

I heard that too, seems some of the early buses are 3 bells, and they need to practice social distance, this morning drivers told to carry 25 pax at a time. I'd 29 at one stage and had to leave pax behind unfortunately.

It's up to Driver's like myself to police this unfortunately we are on our own but I hope it doesn't go on for very long and also I do hope people adapt.

I'm using centre door only for those disembarking, have a sign and constantly playing message to leave through centre doors....

People are reading the sign, then where do they end up standing with their nose to the front door or shrugged up right beside me....

Seriously people you need to give space for yourself, myself and others.....

Canteen in town now have bags over chairs so one per table, these sit 4 usually.....

And another thing to those absolutely disgusting scum bags going around coughing and spitting on purpose you had better hope you don't try that around me....

• Advertisement

ITV2 wrote: »
    I heard that too, seems some of the early buses are 3 bells, and they need to practice social distance, this morning drivers told to carry 25 pax at a time. I'd 29 at one stage and had to leave pax behind unfortunately.

Not much use surely if the people aren't practising social distancing waiting at bus stops

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Our buses in Clontarf have the little holes in the drivers protection screens covered up, is this a fleet wide thing?

Ive also noticed in my garage the EV,s (single doored buses) are been left in garage only been used as a last resort.

I was driving a 42 last night and the amount of teenagers in a park on the Malahide road was madness, there must of been about 50 of them.

Its a disgrace Joe!

d51984 wrote: »
    Our buses in Clontarf have the little holes in the drivers protection screens covered up, is this a fleet wide thing?

Ive also noticed in my garage the EV,s (single doored buses) are been left in garage only been used as a last resort.

I was driving a 42 last night and the amount of teenagers in a park on the Malahide road was madness, there must of been about 50 of them.

Little holes are been covered across the board but all fleet types are still been used.

Seen some Luas where.you can't use doors at driver cab and are taped off and won't open .....

Little holes are been covered across the board but all fleet types are still been used.

Seen some Luas where.you can't use doors at driver cab and are taped off and won't open .....

What are they using to cover up the holes? Still a big gap where wayfarer is

What are they using to cover up the holes? Still a big gap where wayfarer is

Oh of course there are huge gaps/holes so it is pointless....

They're using a big sticky tape film.

It's basically sellotape but covers the whole area of the holes....

It doesn't stop some for whatever reason leaning down and then spouting through where the machine is.....

I now know we really are dealing with some seriously dim individuals.....

Oh of course there are huge gaps/holes so it is pointless....

They're using a big sticky tape film.

It's basically sellotape but covers the whole area of the holes....

It doesn't stop some for whatever reason leaning down and then spouting through where the machine is.....

I now know we really are dealing with some seriously dim individuals.....

Theatre really. Gives the impression they're doing something when really they're doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Im on a 31 now, Ive been allocated a SG. Its always EVs on this road so they are obviously holding EVs back.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Seen one or two EV's coming out of Conyngham Road going into service this afternoon around 3 or so when I was heading home from work. One also turned up on the 69 the other morning.

Seen one or two EV's coming out of Conyngham Road going into service this afternoon around 3 or so when I was heading home from work. One also turned up on the 69 the other morning.

Probably depends on the depot and what's available

• Advertisement

Probably depends on the depot and what's available. I saw an AX on the 7 today and EV on the 155. Noticed an SG on the 46a with a notice telling passengers to leave by the middle doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Probably depends on the depot and what's available. I saw an AX on the 7 today and EV on the 155. Noticed an SG on the 46a with a notice telling passengers to leave by the middle doors.

Also saw AXs on the 47 + 155. Donnybrook don’t really have any spare dual doors that can be used on Monday-Friday given the amount of buses needed to keep up a full service.

An extraordinary attack but just confirms my public v private services funding, provided the statement is true and the spin from NBRU!

https://twitter.com/DermotLeary/status/1243478956734545927

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

An extraordinary attack but just confirms my public v private services funding, provided the statement is true and the spin from NBRU!

https://twitter.com/DermotLeary/status/1243478956734545927

Personally I find the politicisation of the current situation by the NBRU to be disappointing and incredibly distasteful but not surprising for that union. Contrast this with the reaction of SIPTU, who never get involved in these kind of wars, as they are much more civilised and far less militant.

The reason that PSO operators continue to run services and commercial operators do not, is that the former are paid by the government to do so with and are handed a couple of hundred new buses a year between them and the commercial operators are fully dependent on ticket revenue.

The idea that the PSO operators are operating services out of the kindness of their hearts and their own money is a false narrative, so I agree with Ashbourne Connect about that point, although I think the attack on DB and BE staff in their first paragraph is inappropriate and a bit of a low blow and Ashbourne Connect should withdraw it and whilst I don't like Dermot's views or politics, calling him a thug is childish, petulant and not acceptable.

Anyone playing politics with the current situation or trying to apply spin, attack others and/or try to use the current situation in order to score points to further their cause needs to take a good hard look at themselves. Now is not the time for that and this is very disappointing. As a union member myself in another industry, it's things like this which do the trade union movement no favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Newly registered account with announcement of news to take effect on April's Fools Day and an undercurrent of management resentment. What's not to believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Xterminator

giggys wrote: »
    In these difficult time, rest assure all Dublin Bus and NTA execuitives are self isolating and are safe and well provisioned at home.

you obviously cannot drive a bus or service one from home. the bus service is essential as it enables key workers to attend work.

All jobs that can be done from home should be done from home, and by staying home the admin workers including the dublin bus execs are doing the whole country a service by delaying the spead of Covid.

You do your argument a disservice when you try to score cheap points.

• Advertisement

On a bus now and some dirt bird has spat all over the floor....

New announcement on buses too about prevention of the virus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Stark wrote: »
    Newly registered account with announcement of news to take effect on April's Fools Day and an undercurrent of management resentment. What's not to believe?

Looks like they were telling the truth :0

New announcement on buses too about prevention of the virus....

Rail and bus PSO services scaled back to 80% of services from Monday and Wednesday respectively.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GM228 wrote: »
    Rail and bus PSO services scaled back to 80% of services from Monday and Wednesday respectively.

Confirmed on the RTE News, but can't link to it due to being on Live Updates rather then it's own article.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭john boye

I'm a bit lost, What exactly was that was that ashbourne connect post referring to?

john boye wrote: »
    I'm a bit lost, What exactly was that was that ashbourne connect post referring to?

Dermot O'Leary has gone a bit on the offensive in recent days saying how private commercial operators are not operating services and state funded operators in the CIE Group are, to make an ideological point, rather that than admitting that the real reason for this, which is the fact that the PSO services are being paid for and will be propped up by the state whereas the commercial services do not.

Just politics basically, I agree with some of what Ashbourne Connect had to say, but insulting the CIE front line staff and calling Dermot a thug is not the way to go about it. They should have left those bits out. Just don't think now is the time for trying to score points over each other and using coronavirus as leverage to score points on either side.

The irony of the NBRU approach is though they're calling others such as SIPTU out for point scoring.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bk wrote: »

Any idea where the timetables can be viewed yet ?

Any idea where the timetables can be viewed yet ?

Nothing yet, though you could probably look at the Saturday Timetables to get a hint. It is probably that, plus extra services.

devnull wrote: »
    Personally I find the politicisation of the current situation by the NBRU to be disappointing and incredibly distasteful but not surprising for that union. Contrast this with the reaction of SIPTU, who never get involved in these kind of wars, as they are much more civilised and far less militant.

The reason that PSO operators continue to run services and commercial operators do not, is that the former are paid by the government to do so with and are handed a couple of hundred new buses a year between them and the commercial operators are fully dependent on ticket revenue.

The idea that the PSO operators are operating services out of the kindness of their hearts and their own money is a false narrative, so I agree with Ashbourne Connect about that point, although I think the attack on DB and BE staff in their first paragraph is inappropriate and a bit of a low blow and Ashbourne Connect should withdraw the attack on DB and BE staff.

Anyone playing politics with the current situation or trying to apply spin, attack others and/or try to use the current situation in order to score points to further their cause needs to take a good hard look at themselves. Now is not the time for that and this is very disappointing. As a union member myself in another industry, it's things like this which do the trade union movement no favours.

But the NBRU's sole interest is to look out is to look out for it's members. I'm not sure your right in saying that the NBRU are more militant than SIPTU. I don't know either myself but are you saying that the NBRU are more likely to block a new bill than SIPTU how do you know that it would very depnd on the induvidual members I would imagine.

The fact of the matter is the service provided by PSO operators is being paid in part by your and mine taxes. That's why we pay taxes to fund vital public services. Ashbourne Connect appear to be unhappy that they are not getting taxpayer funding when obivously they're services are not being deemed essential as they are not PSO just like BE Expressway and DB Airlink services. Now if Ashbourne wanted their slice of the pie from the taxpayer they could have submitted a tender for the multiple routes that the NTA have put out to tender in recent years.

I don't think anyone believes that DB and BE are operating out of the goodness of their hearts. They are doing so because they are told by the government that they have to provide a service otherwise they would risk losing their funding or having their services put out to tender.

I would agree with you about Dermot O'Leary somewhat I'm not sure why he feel it's in his members interests to fight battles on Twitter and in the public. Usually the only time we hear from unions reps in the media is when there is a strike. Unions should be focusing on those who pay their subs and being in the public eye.

But the NBRU's sole interest is to look out is to look out for it's members. I'm not sure your right in saying that the NBRU are more militant than SIPTU. I don't know either myself but are you saying that the NBRU are more likely to block a new bill than SIPTU how do you know that it would very depnd on the induvidual members I would imagine.

It's not hard to come to that conclusion, the NBRU are more militant than SIPTU.

Just look at the differing ways that the two unions have held Bus Connects and the number of arguments that the NBRU have had with people on twitter and the number of inflammatory or controversial posts from Dermot compared to his compatriots in SIPTU who you never see getting involved in tit for tat stuff like this. They just quietly get on with representing their members interests making their noises behind the scenes without having a mud slinging match in public.
    The fact of the matter is the service provided by PSO operators is being paid in part by your and mine taxes. That's why we pay taxes to fund vital public services. Ashbourne Connect appear to be unhappy that they are not getting taxpayer funding when obivously they're services are not being deemed essential as they are not PSO just like BE Expressway and DB Airlink services. Now if Ashbourne wanted their slice of the pie from the taxpayer they could have submitted a tender for the multiple routes that the NTA have put out to tender in recent years.

I think you will find that the NBRU were firing shots at commercial operators for a good few days now and Ashbourne Connect have a right to defend themselves from such attacks. I do not think attacking the front line staff and calling DOL a thug was the right way to go about it, but you're not just going to sit there and take it whilst someone is trying to play politics at a time of national crisis in a way that could effect all that you have worked for and your staffs future.

Even Sinn Fein, Fianna Fail and Fine Gael among others have buried the hatchet and stopped trying to score cheap points for the time being realising that this is not a time to score points against each other and is a time to come together in National crisis since they realise that there is a time and a place for that and it's certainly not now.
    I don't think anyone believes that DB and BE are operating out of the goodness of their hearts. They are doing so because they are told by the government that they have to provide a service otherwise they would risk losing their funding or having their services put out to tender.

The simple thing is public operators continue to operate because they are paid to do so and they know that they will have their losses covered. Private operators are not because they are not paid to do so and won't.

The misleading picture being painted is that the CIE group of companies continues to operate services out of the goodness of their heart because they are public and the private ones are not because they are greedy which is laughable because believe me, whether they are operating services or not, they're still losing money hand over fist daily because they haven't got the credit line that public operators have got.

Commercial businesses up and down the land in almost every industry there is, have the same problems as transport operators, a massive drop in demand, large costs and no hope of it changing anytime soon. All of they are cutting back hours and services etc to ensure that they survive, protect the health of the nation and to ensure that people have a job to go back to when this is over because heaven knows, our economy needs these businesses to survive if we want to limit the economic damage.

Companies in any industry continuing to trade till the point they go bust because they're losing fortunes every week when there is no demand for their services will not do our countries economy any favours and will just set the recovery back further. It might help certain people progress their ideology, but if one feels that is more important than the economy we really do have to ask ourselves who really are the selfish ones in all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

devnull wrote: »
    They just quietly get on with representing their members interests making their noises behind the scenes without having a mud slinging match in public.

I was a member of SIPTU for almost two years and left because they never represented my interests. They were firmly on the side of my employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭BurnUp78

No news from go ahead regarding timetables?

• Advertisement
Advertisement