Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denerick's Log

Options
  • 03-01-2010 3:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

I always struggle to remember the exact books I read in any given year, so I thought I'd keep a log this time round. For my own personal amusement, I'll rate books out of ten as I go along, and give a little review as well. For the next 3 months it's going to be almost entirely non fiction, which is somewhat harder to rate on a scale of 1 to 10, but it'll be nice to have kept a log for posterity.

Michael Davitt by Carla King.

This is one in a series of 'Great Irish Lives', little biographies which cover major historical figures from Owen O Neill to Eamon Da Valera. Its aimed at secondary school students and the general public who want a quick, general overview of key characters in Irish history. It helped me immensely because its a useful general account of the man which manages to synthesise all of the relevant contemporary and historical commentary about one of the most fascinating figures in our history. Davitt was a curious fellow, much more radical than his alliance with C.S. Parnell would allow you to imagine, and King does a decent job in covering the 'New Departure' period (When Fenians, Home Rulers and neo fenians came together to co-operate on major issues of national importance, such as land reform in the late 1870s)

Its only around 80 pages, and so is essentially limited by that fact. Read it in a day. 6.5/10

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The Modernisation of Irish Society, 1848-1918 by Joseph Lee

This was an impressive book, small yet amazingly persuasive. It is more like a collection of critical essays on all of the major themes of Irish history in this period than any kind of narrative (Which is just as well, considering F.S.L. Lyons, R.F. Foster and Paul bew have the narrative history of Ireland in this period pretty much pinned down) I especially enjoyed his criticisms of the Conservative policy in Ireland (Killing Home Rule with kindness) Here he aptly points out that instead of wasting money in the west, investment should have been concentrated in the east so as to encourage internal migration to that potentially prosperous area rather than keeping the west of Ireland 'ticking over' and encouraging emigration to America and Britain. The results, he claims, were catastrophic, leading to stagnation in the west and only tentative growth in the east.

He acknowledges the brilliance of our transport system (The Irish railway system was one of the finest in the Empire) pointing out that we had an overdeveloped infrastructure which should have been able to accomodate more than a mere commercial agricultural economy - although he does point out the overall amazing improvement in Irish economic performance in the years following the Famine, aided by a growing middle class and more equitable rural farming class, a significant change which catered for the social explosion which culminated in Easter 1916.

Lastly the role of the Church is both rehabilated and criticised, both in education and 'moral values'. Cardinal Cullen was a strange man who did more than any other to improve the education of the Irish poor, but to him we also must remember a growing Romanism within the church, and the ever increasing divergence between the aloof Catholic hierarchy and the laity, who were almost driven to insanity by the extreme expectations of their leaders.

Overall, this is both an influential and thought provoking book, which looks at Irish history from various new angles (It was written in the 70s after all) It's short (Barely over 100 pages) and I read it today along with Kings book on Davitt. 7.5/10

Michael Davitt, from the Gaelic American, by John Devoy (Ed. W.J. Mc Cormack + Carla King)

This is not a book as such, but a compilation of newspaper articles John Devoy wrote in the American newspaper, 'the Gaelic American'. It discusses the 'New Departure' mentioned in the other post, in light of Davitt's death and the various chattering of what happened in those months. Its rather dull and Devoy comes across as insufferably self important. I'll not rate it, because its a memoir and not a book as such, and it does help illuminate the sequence of events rather clearly. I'd only reccomend this if you are researching Davitt or Devoy for some academic purpose, otherwise you are completely wasting your time on something almost mind nummingly dull.

The Irish Act of Union - A study in High Politics, 1798-1801 by Patrick Geoghegan.

This was a pretty comprehensive work which contained several insights into both the motivations of Pitt and the British government, and those on the opposite side, such as Speaker Foster and Grattan. I believe he was the first historian to make use of the 'secret service papers', which uncovered once and for all the evident truth that the British government used corruption and bribery on a massive scale to get the Union passed. He also points out that those on the opposing side had a 'corruption fund' of their own, so it doesn't exclude them from verbal punishment!

I enjoyed this in the way that I enjoy history books - it's not going to change my life but I come out the other side feeling like I'm better acquainted with the facts. 7/10

P.S- I realise 4 books in 6 days seems rather high, and it is by my standards, but the other three were quite slim volumes and I'm sitting around at the house this week catching up on my reading for college. So these aren't exactly 'books I read for pleasure' or anything :)

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

A couple of years ago I read G.R. Elton's 'The Tudor Revolution in Government', and from that moment onwards I was in awe of Thomas Cromwell. Few men are so scantly remembered by history for doing so much. A practical man, who has done much more than most political theorists in effectively laying down the foundations of the modern nation state, Cromwell's great achievement was - and it is always vital to remember his humble background, and his meteoric rise to power - was to in effect, revolutionise government science in Britain and hence across Europe. He was at the forefront of the the transition from the government of the Kings household + high clergy to the archetypical 'commoner' - effective governmental machinery which created an environment of meritocracy. It is the basis of the modern world.

The reason I wanted to read Mantels book was because I've always been fascinated by this man. Competant as the writing is, I feel it is greatly lacking in many areas. The dialogue is hard to follow and it only gives a cursory skurting of Cromwells great achievements - something of an outrage considering the book was 650 pages long; the exception being his relationship with Thomas More, which is the one theme in the book which I really enjoyed. At times this book was a chore, and took me two weeks to read in between others. I don't recommend it, and am amazed it won the booker prize.

5.5/10

P.S- I should add that it does do a good job at portraying Cromwell the man (IE, genuine reformer, kind to kittens, loving father etc.) as opposed to the typical casting of him as manipulative and cold (Though it does show side of him also, but usually from the mouths of others)

The Green Fool by Patrick Kavanagh

"Is Paddie getting a bit odd of himself?"

I loved this book. It has captured a moment in time that Ireland has lost for ever, for better or worse. The age of the romantic poet; the mystic of the little hills is gone now and for ever. The first 200 pages or so are a semi fictionalised account of his youth, while the remainder of the book is more like an autobiography, telling how he drifted into the literary world (With some difficulty) and how he literally forced himself off of his 20 acre farm. Kavanagh is a remarkable figure, having great abilities with the English language (All the more remarkable considering he left school at 12 ;)) I loved how he described the mannerisms and saying of the people of South Monaghan. The townland of Mucker is now firmly edged into my pysche. The long gone class of travelling beggars - journeymen tradesmen like cobblers or weavers - is remembered with romantic reverence. Kavanagh is both an advocate of all that is good and bad of rural Irish life. Warts and all. If I could ever write a book, Kavanagh would be my biggest influence.

His rating is probably helped considering I grew up in the same county, and can identify with both the charm and the philistinism he had to put up with when growing up. 8.5/10

• Advertisement

Been reading a lot of nonfiction recently, mainly chapters and essays etc.

Otherwise, I finished reading:

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

Read this when I was younger, the short stories are as good as ever, indeed they grow with age. Typically intelligent parables of ethics in this world. The three laws of the robots... I don't have the energy to explain it. Very profound!

7/10

I've been flat out studying for two big college assignments, and have therefore been reading a lot of segments of non fiction works. However, I've either read the following in full, or large parts of:

Edmund Burke and Ireland by T.H. Mahony

W.E. Lecky, Ireland in the 18th century, vol. III

Thomas Bartlett, The Fall and Rise of the Irish nation.

On the scale of things, they've been alright... Bit of a chore though. I've read lots of essays and stuff that I haven't mentioned here, as well as a lot of Burke's correspondence, minute books, Fitzgibbons correspondence etc. etc.

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis

This is clever satire which bites both the obviously intended victims and the protagonists. A young bohemian wannabe called Carol marries a small town doctor (Will Kennicott) and takes up abode in an archetypically mid west US small town. I enjoyed reading 'Babbit' last year, and the style of writing is much the same. It begins with joyful enthusiasm and contentment. It ticks on with a eagerness to reform. It matures with cynicism. Packed with powerful insights and a willingness to see all perspectives with a charitable harmony, its a wonderful portrait of small town America in all of its glory.

8/10.

Patrick Pearse: The Triumph of Failure by Ruth Dudley Edwards

This was an extremely thought provoking biography. Dudley Edwards is a well known southern Unionist so her perspective is suitably different from any other biography of Ireland's most famous historical figure. While she was charitable to Pearse the man for the first half of the book, she portrayed him in a less appealing light during his more active political years in the run up to the Rising. Pearse is an inherently unlikable sort anyway - who could possibly personally like a nationalist fanatic, especially these days? - but I think she did a good job at representing Pearse the man as opposed to Pearse the legend.

An important book which gives Irish complacency a royal kick up the back side. I'll now look to read Desmond Ryans book on Pearse (Who was a fierce admirer of the man) to balance the scale somewhat.

8/10.

I've been run off my feet recently with college work (Had to hand in my thesis, don't you know) so recreational reading hasn't been on the agenda. However, I've been reading loads of articles and stuff recently. Also, have read these over the last couple of days:

Danial O'Connell, The Year of Repeal by Frances McCaffrey

Robert Emmet, Patrick Geoghegan

Robert Emmet, the making of a legend, Marianne Elliot.

I enjoyed all three. I'm not giving a rating for any however. That seems a bit smug...

• Advertisement

Fergus O'Ferrall, 'Danial O'Connell and the birth of Irish Democracy, 1820-1830'

A very good account of O'Connellite politics in the struggle for Catholic Emancipation. Highly recommended. 8/10.

Douglas Hyde: A Maker of Modern Ireland, by Janet and Gareth Dunleavy.

Not bad, but no footnotes!!! An interesting writing style that makes even the slightest contribution to cultural nationalism seem significant. And also a nice hagiography of one of our more overlooked cultural figures, a scholar as well as a Gaelic revivalist.

Roger Casement by Brian Inglis

Republicans have a problem with Sir Roger Casement. Or rather I should say they have a problem with his homosexuality. Or rather, moreso, they deny his homosexuality.

Roger Casement was a humanitarian, an Irish patriot, a depressive, and a homosexual. Deal with it. :)

8/10.

NOTE: I'm reading various books at the same time. For example, I have spent the last fortnight reading the book on Casement. I read the book on Hyde in a couple of days. Ditto with the two books on Danial O'Connell. I've been reading the Count of Monte Cristo for the last six weeks (!) Finding it very hard to find time to juggle my reading but am really enjoying it.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

This was a marathon. I didn't have the time to read this properly so instead it was spread out over about six weeks. By doing this, you lose momentum in the reading cycle and at times, have to prompt yourself to remember just what exactly is going on.

This is really a book in three parts. 1) We have the early life of Dantes, his imprisonment, his revelation and his transformation, 2) We are introduced to his life in Italy and his early years in Paris, and 3) the culmination of Dante's plans then becomes evident.

Its hard to be too critical of a book written in the middle of the 19th century and which has seen so much popular acclaim from generations of readers, but I must say that I struggle to find the 'OMG!' aspect of this novel that so many others have. It didn't do it for me like Tolkien, Heller, or Eco ever could. I felt it lacked a certain realism, and that it propagated a plan that was too all encompassing and which fell together much too easily. Dante's various disguises weren't believable either, frankly. And the business with Valentine was never properly explained.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first 600 pages immensely (The chapters of him in prison are among the best pages of literature I've ever read) but I come away disappointed.

7/10.

Union by John Mulcahy

A distinctly average novel that struggles with phraseology, character development, and enthusiasm. The romantic interest was completely uninspired and sleep inducing, and Mulcahy manages to make five of the most exciting years of Irish history (1798-1803 -> Two rebellions and an Act of Union took place) into a very average and dull novel.

5/10 (And I'm being generous. He only gets this because the novel is very accurate historically.)

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundral Christ, by Philip Pullman.

From the moment I heard about this book, I wanted to read it. Although somewhat suspicious that it would merely be another installment in the 'book of atheism', I was pleasantly surprised. Not only is it a clever satire about how stories can be shaped, deformed, and bastardised, its also a pyschological inquiry into the limits of what an ordinary man can understand, and an explanation as to how dispirate forces come about to 'simplify' human problems for the masses.

All in all, one of the best books I've read this year. 8.5/10,

P.S- I haven't read many books lately as I've been studying for exams. Poor me...

Tarry Flynn by Patrick Kavanagh

Full of earthy wit, colourful characters (Mainly his battleaxe of a mother, his travelling uncle, and his dirty minded neighbour Eusebius) Tarry Flynn is a novel that unravels the role of the church in an insular rural society, the importance of land, land disputes in general, and is also surprisingly raunchy for a 1940s Irish book. My favourite part was the dispute between Tarry and Jimmy Finnegan over two fields, how Tarry gave him one clean punch to floor him, resulting in all kinds of hysterical rumour mongering in the locality. The gossipy nature of society and his inconsolable mother is the constant target of Kavanaghs acerbic wit.

Another enjoyable scene comes early in the book. The parish priest delivers a stereotypically denunciatory sermon, and lambasts a local girl who had been 'defiled' by a local young man. The way Kavanagh describes the local people from the townload leaning forward with a smile on their faith is priceless - as he says himself, everyone is always eager to hear about the sin in their own townland.

Kavanagh peers through in every scene. The young and distracted poet farmer, Tarry Flynn, is Patrick Kavanagh through and through, who interprets the world around him with a typically iron humour and a constant sense of the importance of 'being' in a world where very little is under his control. All in all, a very enjoyable read.

8.5/10

23. The Book of Evidence by John Banville.

Mammy's boys everywhere will cringe. The poor mother! This book is the confession of Freddie Montgomery, a murderer and thief hailing from a successful Catholic middle class Irish family, who made good in California and abandoned his family in order to run away (And hopefully get cash together) to pay off his debtors.

I never expected to enjoy John Banville. I anticipated that he would write a well trodden Irish novel - priest, pauper, emigrants, sexual frustration with inchoate anger and despair - but the novel is elevated far beyond what I would consider the conventional literary Irish novel of the last half century. At times his insights can seem a little strained - he is guilty, I think, of constantly trying to find that epic line which the greats manage with such ease - but four out of five times he hits the nail on the head with introspection. Literally every page has a nugget of wisom within it, and if you allow yourself to drift at all when reading, you'll have a great time reading this book.

8/10.

24. Troubles by J.G. Farrell

This book has gotten a lot of hype recently due to winning the 'lost' man Booker prize. Initially I was reluctant to read it, considering that scumbag Kevin Myers heartily endorsed it. Luckily I overcame this prejudice.

The book is layered. Superficially, Farrell's witticisms and turns of phrase provide a rich supply of comic relief in a decaying, barren old hotel populated by cats, old ladies, and the rotten remnant of the Anglo Irish Ascendancy. It is set in the Anglo-Irish War, though I would struggle to call it a 'war novel'. The setting is instead in the context of a quiet corner of a fiercely localised war, with no fronts, and no trenches, just rumours of murder and atrocity and general terror. The war itself only becomes blatently obvious in the last 100 pages or so.

On a deeper level, its a clever deconstruction of colonial Ireland, which is in the process of decay - and as this book illustrates, has been for a century. The English Major, who stumbles into this locale and seems incapable of leaving, is a bit like the baffled and confused English administration, vainly trying to understand and to some extent 'fix' the Irish problem. Then there is Edward, the raging bigot, slightly insane, and custodian of the dying Irish ascendancy. The senile old Catholic doctor - coarse, confused, rude, and Republican, represents the anger and confusion of the old Castle Catholic Ireland, unable to understand or comprehend anything thats going on, saddling two distinct worlds, altogether unhappy.

Lets not mention the Black and Tans. No surprises there.

There is more I can say about this, as Troubles is an imaginative, clever novel, that is thought provoking and moving. The best book I've read so far this year.

9/10

The Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brien.

This is the fourth book of the Aubrey/Maturin naval series, and like the first three I enjoyed the relationship between Luckey Jack Aubrey and the sensitive, intellectual doctor, Stephen Maturin. Unfortunately, I still have not come to grips with all of the naval terminology, and the confusing writing style that O'Brien employs... (He quickly changes and resolves plotlines, sometimes in a single sentance, so if your concentration wanders at all you kind of lose track of where you are)

In general, book 4 was entertaining, though not exceptionable. The book starts off with Jacks married life in Hampshire, a jaded and restless man eager to hit the sea again. Maturin arrives, with an order from the admirality, commissioning Jack to lead a squadron to take the islands off the coast of Madagascar (Reunion, Rodriguez etc.). So the novel takes place in England, South Africa, and culminates in the conquests of these islands.

Of course the central theme of O'Briens books is not so much the Napoleonic Wars but the contrasting personalities of Aubrey and Maturin. And as ever, the two inter-relate in thoughtful, rather humourous ways. Also introduced to this book was the Ulster Presbyterian Mac Adam, a primitive pyschiatrist, a bigot, and all round colourful little character who lightens the load in between dissected limbs and buckets of blood.

The Mauritius Command is a competant, enjoyable little novel. Like O'Briens other books, it makes me want to continue reading on in the series, but not all at once! I'll take a break from him for a couple of months and then hit him again.

7/10.

• Advertisement

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Over-rated!

Just joking, though it would be tempting to say that for controversies sake. In all honesty though, few books get to the heart of the human condition as the Lord of the Flies does. Take on the one hand a group of terrified children, stick them on a deserted island, and watch as mankind in all of its primal horror asserts its brutality in the most base and simple way.

There are in essence three governing philosophies at work here. We have Piggy, the reasoned and reasonable voice of the old people - inarticulate, physically impaired (And not to mention fat and ugly, providing a pariah figure for the rest of the children to feel normal by extension) Then we have Ralph, the spirit of British Liberalism and basic law and order. And then we have Jack Merridew and his cadre of hunters - primal, violent and megalomaniac.

As the children revert to their original state of nature Ralph vainly attempts to maintain a degree of civilisation over an unruly and frightened people. There are bogeymen, such as the misunderstood 'beast', and there is also the basic need for food and sustenance - a need fulfilled by the authoritarian Jack, who early on establishes himself as the primary hunter and food getter. In a primitive society, this role trumps all others and makes him a natural leader. The more civilised Ralph, intent on maintaining a signal fire and keeping alive the hope of rescue, is in many ways the conscience of the society. However, this particular society is slowly losing the vision of a need for conscience, and thus his persecution seems a fitting and natural example of how human nature reverts to securing its basic needs - in this case, meat.

I have always had an inchoate feeling that without government mankind would be little better than the beasts. Without the civilising power of law and order, the local thug would become King of his area. In many ways, this book re-inforces those thoughts.

Golding has written a terrific book, and it has stood the test of time. It is anything but over-rated.

8.5/10.

The American Future, a history, from the founding fathers to Obama. By Simon Schama.

This is a book in four parts, dealing in turn with the American military tradition, American religion, American identity and American aspiration (Or capitalism/lack thereof)

Schama gleefully points out the endless ironies of American history - be it the wonderously enlightened declaration of Independence (that runs concurrent with the institution of slavery, obviously) or the emphatically altruistic words stamped onto the Statue of Liberty, whilst thousands of Chinese migrants were lynched across the country. (Other ethnic groups didn't get it easy either)

At the heart of this book is Barack Obama. Obama is to be the antidote of America's disease, the dream of King now realised, sitting in the Oval Office. But for all of Schama's sanctimoniousness, there is an important heart here too - American aspiration has always been the making of the nation. History ceases to be one damn thing after another but instead it becomes one fourth dimensional current - Jackson, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt all standing as one in judgement against and for everything the nation does. Through its toil and plodding devotion to self betterment, the nation would become the great Republic.

In many ways, this is not the first time this story has been told. And its not exactly a history book either. A certain cynic in me sees Schama cashing in on his good reputation in order to write a book that didn't need to be written, at precisely the time that America elected its first black President. But that doesn't take away from what was an accomplished book, as much a personal insight into the American past as it a prediction of the American future.

7/10.

The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell

Farrell is rapidly becoming my favourite author. This is the second installment of the 'Empire Trilogy', 'Troubles' being the first, and 'Singapore Grip' being the last. The series examines the decline of the British Empire, this based during the Great Indian mutiny of 1854. In the enclave of Krishnapur, surrounded by angry mutinous Sepoy soldiers, a small force of British colonials, soldiers, their wives and relatives, loyal natives, Shiekhs, and some other strange characters eke out an existance against devastating odds.

As with Troubles, Farrell employs rich symbolish to a cast of characters denotable to the different strata and intellectual denominations of mid Victorian Britain. We have adventurous, poetic youths like Fleury, and evangelical ministers, like the Padre. There is also the pragmatic authority figure, the dynamic and authoritarian Collector, responsible for the defences and welfare of his beleagured dependents. But as ever, the heavy symbolism is lightened with wit so sublime that it is guaranteed to make you gyrate with amusement. Not the bottom of the stomach kind but the tickled, absurd, almost Hellerian style of humour that exposes the absurd in the mundane and the mundane in the absurd. Take the freethinking, cynical Magistrate, who seems to have completely wallowed in his cynicism near the end, blurting out inappropriate comments about the stupidity of humanity at inopportune moments. And don't get me started about his sardonically raised eyebrow, being the figure of a man in a constant state of Victorian offensiveness.

I can't go on, because I feel like I could write a rambling essay if I allowed myself. A well deserved Booker winner, and I am forever in the debt of the despicable Kevin Myers, the bastard Indo columnist who initially brought Farrell to my attention.

9/10.

Scoop by Evelyn Waugh.

I was very disappointed with this. Either it was a satire or a cheap spoof - either way it did neither genre any justice. The major point that should be borne in mind is that what Waugh is supposedly mocking - Journalistic self importance/sensationalism and playing fast and loose with the facts - is exaggerated beyond the realm of realism. The anecdote about the war correspondent who was sent to a Balkan country only to sleep on the train and arrive in the wrong city altogether, yet who then proceeds to write about the revolution as if it were happening, even though it isn't, leading to to the collapse of the country as a consequence due to market failures... well come on. This is hardly Joseph Heller we're talking about. Hence it qualifies as poorly constructed satire. In terms of spoof - well, I'm not a big fan of the genre but I get the feeling that this wasn't the intention of Waugh at all.

I'm disappointed because both Waugh and Scoop are held in high esteem, but I was immensely bored from start to finish. Its supposed to be an exuberant comedy, but the exuberance merely left me desperately looking for emotional depth (You will find none of that here) and the comedy left me looking for the laughs (Again, you will find none of that here) What he supposedly satirizes doesn't and never has existed, even once you account for the exaggerations inherent in satires and parodies.

In short, a truly awful novel that has somehow survived the interwar era in which it was written. If this is the best of Waugh, I shudder to think what his other novels are like.

4/10

P.S- Just read this on Wikipedia ('One of the points of the novel is that even if there is little news happening, the world's media descending upon a place requires that something happen to please their editors and owners back home, and so they will create news.') That is certainly the intellectual basis of the novel. My opinion is that the novel does this a great dis-service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Denerick wrote: »
    The major point that should be borne in mind is that what Waugh is supposedly mocking - Journalistic self importance/sensationalism and playing fast and loose with the facts - is exaggerated beyond the realm of realism.

This is exactly why I didn't like Jennifer Government and God Bless You Mr Rosewater and exactly why I loved Babbitt. I think "in your face" satire that blows things out of proportion no longer resembles anything in real life and hence loses any kind of applicability and basically its raison d'être. Babbitt deals mainly in subtleties and remains extremely realistic throughout, thus making Lewis' satirical digs very much felt. You can imagine Babbitt as if he was your next door neighbour. Not so with the others I mentioned.

All the Kings Men by Robert Penn Warren

This was a chunky one.

I've always been a fan of the West Wing. There is something about the optimism of that show, it re-affirms what is good about American politics. Its anti cynical. All the Kings Men, on the other hand, is an antidote to that optimism.

It is relentlessly cynical.

The story is narrated by Jack Burden, a political hack (Shades of Alastair Cambell) who does the bidding of the Governor of Louisiana in 1930s America. Willie Stark, the would be governor, begins the novel by running for office in the Democratic Party primary. he is virtuous and motivated by what is good. Damn it, he is good, through and through. The only problem was that he didn't know how to play the game. He was a pawn in a political game of chess, and didn't even have the gumption to realise it. He had realistic visions of what the State needed to change for the better - end corruption, fix roads, build schools, that sort of thing. But he came to realise, after some particularly icy revelations by a supposed subordinate that his good nature was effectively being abused in order to split the evangelical, good natured, hick vote and allow the utterly corrupt incumbant to remain in office.

Willie subsequently changes his tack, and becomes determined to work within the rules of the game to make his mark on politics.

Warren's considerable literary skill is demonstrated by the fact that when Stark does reach political office, he bears no relation to what he was in those idealistic early days. In fact, he seemed to become completely corrupt, corrupt to the very bone, both morally and politically. He starts seeing mistrisses and the early family values would be governor is dead and gone, never to reappear.

In the early stages of the novel I was rather disappointed that the narrator was Jack Burden. I wanted a straight up political story detailing the decline of Willie Stark. But near the end I came to appreciate the voice of Burden and how he came to represent the quiet despair that permeates this novel. It seems that it is impossible to be both good and powerful - one must make a choice between one or the other. And Burden realises, somewhere near the end of the novel, that mans personal secret is the path to salvation.

8/10

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

Bloody Hell. This was a strange one.

I don't understand if the ghosts are supposed to be real, or whether they exist only in the tormented mind of the governess? Or if thats even the point? Or if the novel is a challenge to such simplistic interpretations? Or what? Or what exactly? This little novel will be with me for many years. There is an evil at the heart of this novel that defies explanation and rationalisation. Perhaps that is rather the point.

9/10.

The Age of Empire, 1875-1914 by Eric Hobsbawm

I really don't know how I managed to study history at college and never got around to reading Eric Hobsbawm. In terms of unique insight, wit and style he trumps pretty much every other modern historian of the grand narrative tradition. The Age of Empire is one a series of books examining the history of the world from the French Revolution to the fall of communism. Each chapter is a thematic exploration of society, economics and politics. The chapters on the emergence of mass democracy, socialism, nationalism and Liberalism are an absolute treat and there are fewer more authoritative and utterly readable accounts like this out there.

Hobsbawm is biased, and there is no point trying to ignore this. The most entertaining history books are horribly biased, full of insight that can only come from an intimate knowledge and understanding of ones political camp (In this case its socialism and a soft spot for Lenin)

8/10

So I'm halfway through month 8 of my reading log. Time for a bit of a recap.

I've read a lot of non fiction this year because of college. Next year I face no college. So I will probably be reading dramatically less. At the moment I'm ploughing through quite a few history books (Reading a book on the Reformation by G.R. Elton at the moment) but I don't expect this enthusiasm to last. So of the mainly Irish history books I've read, I'd recommend Dudley Edward's book on Pearse (This has had a large impact on Irish historiography and she is herself a very contentious personality) Brian Inglis' book on Roger Casement. In terms of biographical writing, these two are the best you will get. They are opinionated, energetic and insightful. More recently, Eric Hobsbawm's book 'The Age of Empire' was fascinating and I intend to read the rest of his series.

On to fiction now. I discovered Patrick Kavanagh this year and for that I will be forever grateful. I also discovered J.G. Farrell, easily one of the best, if not the best, writers I've ever had the privilege to read. Looking forward to finishing the 'Empire' trilogy - Singapore grip is sitting eagerly on my bookshelf.

Major disappointments were Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantal, a grossly over-rated novel IMO, and The Count of Monte Cristo. I cannot blame Dumas as so many others have derived pleasure from the book. And the first third was amazing. But after that it went downhill, became shamelessly romanticist, with lots of sighing and panting and all the other hallmarks of French melodrama. Not for me.

So thats all. Useful to have a look back over the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Denerick wrote: »

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

A couple of years ago I read G.R. Elton's 'The Tudor Revolution in Government', and from that moment onwards I was in awe of Thomas Cromwell. Few men are so scantly remembered by history for doing so much. A practical man, who has done much more than most political theorists in effectively laying down the foundations of the modern nation state, Cromwell's great achievement was - and it is always vital to remember his humble background, and his meteoric rise to power - was to in effect, revolutionise government science in Britain and hence across Europe. He was at the forefront of the the transition from the government of the Kings household + high clergy to the archetypical 'commoner' - effective governmental machinery which created an environment of meritocracy. It is the basis of the modern world.

The reason I wanted to read Mantels book was because I've always been fascinated by this man. Competant as the writing is, I feel it is greatly lacking in many areas. The dialogue is hard to follow and it only gives a cursory skurting of Cromwells great achievements - something of an outrage considering the book was 650 pages long; the exception being his relationship with Thomas More, which is the one theme in the book which I really enjoyed. At times this book was a chore, and took me two weeks to read in between others. I don't recommend it, and am amazed it won the booker prize.

5.5/10

P.S- I should add that it does do a good job at portraying Cromwell the man (IE, genuine reformer, kind to kittens, loving father etc.) as opposed to the typical casting of him as manipulative and cold (Though it does show side of him also, but usually from the mouths of others)

I agree with you in some respects - it is a chore to read - but it is so rewarding, I don't begrudge the weeks out of my life it took to read it. As somebody who only bought it because of the hype, and is now hooked on (extremely light) historical fiction now, it opened my eyes to a period of history which had been largely irrelevant to me. You're right that Cromwell's rise to power is not explained well at all, but I got the strong feeling that the end was leaving the author the option of writing a sequel.

Advertisement